is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

I just received my gold CC member magnet in the mail. I figure the only time I will use it is on my door on a cruise. Because of this thread, I am wondering if I should even do that. I would be sad if someone stole it off my door, but I also don't have any other use for it. :confused3

I just received my gold CC member magnet in the mail. I figure the only time I will use it is on my door on a cruise. Because of this thread, I am wondering if I should even do that. I would be sad if someone stole it off my door, but I also don't have any other use for it. :confused3
How about this - take a picture of the magnet and then put magnets on the back of the picture to put on your door. Then save the real one for home use on your fridge.

How about this - take a picture of the magnet and then put magnets on the back of the picture to put on your door. Then save the real one for home use on your fridge.

Great suggestion. After ours were taken, we just started decorating the inside of our door for ourselves.

I'm thinking it might be wise to write your cabin number on the back of magnets. I wonder how many just get moved to other doors by people who think they're being funny. If the number is on the back, they could be returned.

I'm thinking it might be wise to write your cabin number on the back of magnets. I wonder how many just get moved to other doors by people who think they're being funny. If the number is on the back, they could be returned.
It may or may not help. The only two magnets we'e ever had stolen had our names (first) room number, dates of cruise featured prominently on them. It's not like they could trim out the personal info and still use the magnets.

I just ordered a custom magnet for our anniversary, only $15 but I would like to keep it as a keepsake. Maybe I will put it on the inside of the door.

I never had things taken off our door, BUT, I make it rather difficult to do. I have always put up fishing net over the door. It works well and looks cute. When I have a moment I will post a pic if I can find it.
There is a trick to hanging it so it can't easily be removed too, it takes a little work, but PM me if you want instructions. It helps I think because it takes too long to get sticky fingers under the net and nab a magnet, kind of like that ADT alarm sticker people have in front of their home....go to the easier door to get magnets that may not have a deterrent.
(I know some people that just have the sticker without an actual alarm:) )
As far as FE we zip tie it as well. I use toe nail cutter to get it off. As far as the gifts, well I don't know for sure. The only FE we participated in had 2 days of delivering, not because of control the FE, but as a security measure to prevent sticky fingers. I don't recall anyone stating items went missing.
The cruises after that were shorter ones and I opted not to do FE but always had that fish net covered door, so if you saw one it was probably us.
We started doing that back in 2012 after hearing about magnet theft I think on here....

I'm planning on doing decorating our door and would appreciate the instructions in what you use and how to hang the net over your door. I just joined the boards so figuring out how to PM you. :)

I'm planning on doing decorating our door and would appreciate the instructions in what you use and how to hang the net over your door. I just joined the boards so figuring out how to PM you. :)
In order to participate in a private conversation, you must have 10 posts here on DISboards. Once you do, the feature is enabled on your account.

Since all of my magnets I've printed and made myself, if one walks away I can always make another one. I've been amazed at doors adorned with more irreplaceable items; I would be upset if someone stole anything I couldn't immediately replace. I also realized what I thought was a lot of magnets was nothing compared to the all-out bling-fest people cover their doors with... My 8 or so fridge-magnet-sized collection is nothing compared to many others. This might be a good deterrent from people messing with them, as it's noticeable right away if one goes missing. I also put them high up to be out of range of little hands that love to move them around.

I do not participate in FEs, and the idea of people filching from them is even more of a reason to abstain from that expense.

I like the idea about the fishnet over the door, too. Any chance of posting of pic for those of us "newbies" who can't PM quite yet? I love the idea of zip-ties for the FE. We didn't participate in a FE exchange on our last cruise and it never dawned on me that mean people who steal things out them, let alone the entire FE!! I want to do magnets as well but unfortunately, we got booked into connecting rooms right next to the forward elevators :worried: I already wasn't too happy about being next to the elevators just for the sheer noise-factor, now I'll fret about this, too! Ugh

I like the idea about the fishnet over the door, too. Any chance of posting of pic for those of us "newbies" who can't PM quite yet? I love the idea of zip-ties for the FE. We didn't participate in a FE exchange on our last cruise and it never dawned on me that mean people who steal things out them, let alone the entire FE!! I want to do magnets as well but unfortunately, we got booked into connecting rooms right next to the forward elevators :worried: I already wasn't too happy about being next to the elevators just for the sheer noise-factor, now I'll fret about this, too! Ugh
The likelyhood of magnets being stolen isn't quite a high as all these posts make it seem. We've been on 11 cruises. 10 of them I've put lots of magnets on our doors (well, I didn't know about it on our first cruise). And I mean a LOT of magnets. A LOT!
Example (our WBTA):
door magnets 3 magic wbta 2010 T3130 100_2922 1500.jpg

We've only had 2 stolen. And I have the pictures on my computer so I could print it again when I got home for the scrapbook, so no real loss.

I am going to make a magnet with a Sailor Mickey that says the following. I know for a fact that my idea will be LONG gone before I ever get a chance to do it. So, whoever "steals" my idea, please give me credit for it :jester:

"I am Flat Mickey"
"I originated from Room XXXX on the Disney ***"
"Please take me from where I am and take pictures"
"Upload pictures of where I have traveled and post them to insert DISBoard thread"

Whoever has it last can hand it to someone embarking as they disembark.

Imagine all of the crazy places it could travel on a ship, future sailings, etc. Flat Mickey would be the best traveler around.

Had no idea about magnet theft. Good idea about the fish net. Can you tell me where you get that?

You can get it at any craft store or online think: Oriental Trading or Amazon.

Forward has less traffic than main elevators so not as bad as you may think. Alas the one pic I had of our door was on a lost SD card :( and I don't think I ever took any others since, but I will recreate this weekend at home if it helps everyone and post. I can try showing how to hook it all up too with pics.
Remember to pack a larger nail clipper or small scissors to cut the FE zip tie off at the end of the cruise.

Like Shmoo stated I don't think it is as bad as some are figuring. Off season cruises have much less theft then people are saying. We usually cruise off-season. Once cruised prime presidents week and one or two smaller magnets went missing (bottle cap size). I had made them, so no worries but still. Also on that cruise kids are curious and may touch the FE or contents but I don't think any of our stuff went missing on that one either.

The fish netting acts as a deterrent (think ADT sign on your lawn), not a sure fire way of guaranteeing magnet protection. Like I stated I had the fish net and little fingers can get the small ones. I was more concerned about the bigger ones and at the time, before the app was introduced, to keep my door white board safe, for messages.

I am going to make a magnet with a Sailor Mickey that says the following. I know for a fact that my idea will be LONG gone before I ever get a chance to do it. So, whoever "steals" my idea, please give me credit for it :jester:

"I am Flat Mickey"
"Upload pictures of where I have traveled and post them to insert DISBoard thread"

Imagine all of the crazy places it could travel on a ship, future sailings, etc. Flat Mickey would be the best traveler around.

That is a great idea. My DS's school does that with class Mascots, they started with 8 plush toys (one for each grade) they post on the website where they all have been. Each plush has the school information on it so finders can posted to web or be return it in case, but it is fun to see where in the world "x" grade mascot is.
We sometimes don't hear from one in a log while. One has been to Australia another to Spain etc.. So fun.
That original idea came from Paddington Bear - when the movie came out a couple years back.

"I am Flat Mickey"

What a cute idea! :)

For the my first cruise I only brought magnets from my refrigerator to make it move obvious, "yup! that's my stateroom!" Nobody stole my Chuck Norris magnet. LOL. :)

"I am Flat Mickey"

I LOVE your ideas (especially the "I originated from....")! You could open a little Etsy store and I bet people would absolutely fork over the $$ (especially for a good Flat Mickey that would last for many trips--you could even sell outfits for him, depending on where you go)!

We've done 3 cruises and on our middle one we had magnets stolen. It was a picture of our family superimposed on the ship so highly personal. We hunted high and low but never found it. We placed a note on our door asking for its safe return and were shocked and surprised when we received loads of gifts of other magnets from people passing who'd seen our note. It made us happy that there were many more nice people than mean spirited people on board.

Or more likely, the knuckleheads who stole your magnets saw the note and thought it would be hilarious to steal more magnets from others and put them on your door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter