Is July 4th weekend typically blacked out?

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
Thinking of surprising my daughter with a quick trip over July 4th weekend to celebrate her graduation. Last minute, I know, but this would be in addition to a planned trip in January 2020. Right now there are no discounts available July 3-7. Are annual pass holder rates — or any discounts — likely to be offered or will those be black-out dates?

Thinking of surprising my daughter with a quick trip over July 4th weekend to celebrate her graduation. Last minute, I know, but this would be in addition to a planned trip in January 2020. Right now there are no discounts available July 3-7. Are annual pass holder rates — or any discounts — likely to be offered or will those be black-out dates?
We got a passholder discount for the 4th of July weekend in 2017.

YMMV from resort to resort, but I had a AP discounted room at Poly the last two 7/4 weeks (2017 & 2018). 7/4 week is not nearly as crazy busy as other major holidays and you don’t tend to find the same extreme limited room inventory. Still busy, just not Christmas/NYE no rooms/no discounts busy.

YMMV from resort to resort, but I had a AP discounted room at Poly the last two 7/4 weeks (2017 & 2018). 7/4 week is not nearly as crazy busy as other major holidays and you don’t tend to find the same extreme limited room inventory. Still busy, just not Christmas/NYE no rooms/no discounts busy.
Thank you! Yes, we went over July 4th twice and were amazed that crowds were not nearly as bad as we thought. We are DVC members but out of points, so will have to be more economical!

Not to hijack the original question but since you’re knowledgeable about that week...

Have you gone to MK on the 3rd or 4th? Best to avoid or not too bad for the first half of the day? (Planning to hang at the Poly for fireworks those nights, but trying to decide if we’ll do the parks earlier on the day.)

Not to hijack the original question but since you’re knowledgeable about that week...

Have you gone to MK on the 3rd or 4th? Best to avoid or not too bad for the first half of the day? (Planning to hang at the Poly for fireworks those nights, but trying to decide if we’ll do the parks earlier on the day.)

We went to MK on July 2nd and the park was pretty empty that day. Then we went to AK on July 4th. I think we went to Epcot on July 3rd for part of the day.

We watched the MK fireworks from the Grand Floridian on July 3rd. It was a fantastic show because they used drones to drop some of the fireworks. Then we hopped a taxi back to our resort before the crowd started to exit the park.

We went to Epcot on July 4th and watched their amazing fireworks. They did the normal Illuminations show and then add a special fireworks section at the end. The fireworks were being shot off the roof of the American building, so you need a good view of that building. Then they had about a million fireworks going off from the barge in the lake that totally shock the area. It was fantastic. :) We stayed at the Beach Club so it wasn't a problem leaving the park.

Our previous trips were 8 days, so we avoided MK entirely and watched the fireworks from our resort (Poly). The view was phenomenal! You do miss all of the fabulous visual effects on the castle, but it was totally worth it to avoid the crowds! If you want to visit MK, I think the 3rd would be better than the 4th, and I'd go early before the crowds the build. If you get there at rope drop and use FP, you could probably fit in a few attractions before lunch time. We have always planned to do Epcot on the 4th, based on feedback from others, but the view from the Poly was so spectacular that we've made the 4th a resort day as well and watched the MK fireworks again from the comfort of our resort. ENJOY!!!

Our previous trips were 8 days, so we avoided MK entirely and watched the fireworks from our resort (Poly). The view was phenomenal! You do miss all of the fabulous visual effects on the castle, but it was totally worth it to avoid the crowds! If you want to visit MK, I think the 3rd would be better than the 4th, and I'd go early before the crowds the build. If you get there at rope drop and use FP, you could probably fit in a few attractions before lunch time. We have always planned to do Epcot on the 4th, based on feedback from others, but the view from the Poly was so spectacular that we've made the 4th a resort day as well and watched the MK fireworks again from the comfort of our resort. ENJOY!!!
Yeah, as much as I’d like to see the Epcot show too, we’re staying at the Poly that week so I feel like we’re just going to take advantage of the MK show x2 from there. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter