Is mid-December too cold for Discovery Cove?

Gail from Nova Scotia

Earning My Ears
Can we spend the whole day at DC if it's cold? We are willing to put up with cool temps for the dolphin swim but what about the rest of the Cove ie swimming pool, reef etc? Please give me your opinion!
Thanks Gail

Mid December is really a guessing game - it can go from very warm (hot even) to very cold overnight! This happened to me last december. FYI - I live in Florida, so I do know the weather here! :)

They do have wet suits you can use - which will keep you very warm once you let the water inside them warm up - so it'll take a few minutes! :)

I could see enjoying the tropical reef regardless of temp. since it's so cool - the Rays are the BEST! (if your patient and quiet). The Aviary is rather sheltered, so cool wind won't be a big deal.

Personally, I probably wouldn't spend ALL day if it were cold - but I would try to do everything - the water tempurature is maintained - so it might actually be warmer in the water if it is indeed cold out. And the full length wet suits will really help - so yeah, if December's the only time you can come, give it a go - bring a sweatshirt/coverup/etc to help keep warm and keep a positive outlook - We went in April and it was wonderfull!!!! Plus, I just noticed you're from Nova Scotia - Just a guess, but it's probably gotta be really cold to bother you! :) So yeah - I'd go, wear a full wetsuit and just have fun!

-Kim

Seeing as your coming from NS I would suggest book DC in your first day or two before you get used to the warmer weather. There is always the chance you'll get a genuinly cold snap but you'dd have to be unlucky. It think a full wetsuit and the fact you come from a REAL cold home town means you should cope OK. Obviously if you have another trip planned at a warmer time of year you mat be better to wait for then.

I went to DC last December and it was a little cool out around low 70's just used the wet vest top. The water was comfortable and it was fun because I got to experience it for free without the dolphin swim. It just depeneds it could have a cold spell and be high in the fifties or 80.

Thanks to all for your help! I think we will go Christmas Day! It will be a great way to avoid the major crowds at the parks at and a great present for for the children.
Gail

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter