Is O'hana really not good anymore?

gulliesmom

Mouseketeer
I did a trip with my two kids back in 2015 and we had a fantastic dinner there. Everything was hot, delicious, kids still talk about that meal.

I have a trip Thanksgiving Week 2018 and have been reading all the updated restaurant posts so I can have first choices and back ups for our ADRs and I keep seeing bad reviews for O'hana. Now I am wondering if I should scrap that off my list or keep it. Kids will be bummed if we don;t go. They do not know about this trip as I am surprising them the day of, so I can't get any input prior to booking. My husband is no help as he has put me completely in charge of making all arrangements (he is not a big Disney fan).

Thoughts? Alternatives?

We have the DDP

In our experiences O'hana is always fantastic for dinner. However breakfast can be hit or miss.

You have to take these reviews with a BIG grain of salt. they are only opinion. As I have stated before there are several regular reviewers on this site whose opinion I respect but they HATE Ohana's and it is my families favorite restaurant. Every trip I schedule at least 2 dinners and sometimes a breakfast there.

We did breakfast Nov 2015 and it wasn’t good. The reviews for dinner seem to be much better so this trip we’re giving dinner a try. Hopefully it’s better than our breakfast was!

Just did it a few weeks ago and it was just okay, but not sure if that was better or worse since it was our first time.

I did a trip with my two kids back in 2015 and we had a fantastic dinner there. Everything was hot, delicious, kids still talk about that meal.

I have a trip Thanksgiving Week 2018 and have been reading all the updated restaurant posts so I can have first choices and back ups for our ADRs and I keep seeing bad reviews for O'hana. Now I am wondering if I should scrap that off my list or keep it. Kids will be bummed if we don;t go. They do not know about this trip as I am surprising them the day of, so I can't get any input prior to booking. My husband is no help as he has put me completely in charge of making all arrangements (he is not a big Disney fan).

Thoughts? Alternatives?

We have the DDP

Depends entirely on who you ask!!! If you ask me, I'll tell you it's as great as ever - we've been going for years - no food problems - no service issues!! Next ADR there in April!! :-)
Last one was first of December!

If your kids will be bummed if you don't go, I would go. As others have said, you are going to get varied opinions on these boards. We've been there many times over the past 10 years and when we went in Dec., I thought it was terrible, but DS10 thought it was great. He loved having pounds of meat dumped on his plate. You might love it. You might hate it. But you won't know unless you go.

Is it Bad? In my opinion Ohana dinner is overrated and I think it is really bad for my taste. But since you and your kids liked it last time you went I’d say go for it.

Our last dinner there wasn't as awesome as our first, but I'm still planning to book it for our October trip. Remember, people are always quick to talk about the negative and not as quick to brag about the positive.

I just don't get it. There is a ridiculous amount of food at dinner, most of it not very special. I would much rather spend money on a nice TS restaurant than go there again. Many folks enjoy the AYCTE format, but it just grosses me out. I asked for 2 shrimp and the server almost gasped and then gave me 6 because he 'knew' I would want more. I only ate one of the dried out tasteless shrimp.

I wish you could get the dessert and a coffee. That would be ok.

My husband and I have been twice and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner on both occasions. They made sure to have plenty of options for me (as I have gluten and dairy intolerances) and the food has always been fresh and delicious. The only downside I have to note was the service - both visits were horrendously slow. I'm not sure if it was because we always dined late (9 o'clock and later) or if they just have poor service overall... regardless it is unacceptable in my opinion. It irks me to no end when I go to dine somewhere and my time seated is over two hours.

We definitely have plans to go again, however based on past experience, we will be making sure there are no plans afterward. :rolleyes2

Every time we've gone, I have enjoyed it. We like it and will continue to go unless they change the food to things we don't like anymore. If your family likes it and whoever is paying the bill likes it, then it really shouldn't matter what other people on these boards say. A lot of people rave over things I personally do not enjoy and that's ok, it works for their family.

Breakfast is a glorified quick service.

Dinner, IMO, is fantastic. We haven't had a bad meal there.

Remember - food is subjective. People go on off days, food is made with a spice someone doesn't like, a server is having a bad day, etc. My basic rule of thumb is that unless there are reviews saying "dirty!" or that the food is absolutely terrible, I'll try it. We've never had a BAD meal at Disney—we've had some where we felt "we had it, no need to go back", we've had bad service, but the food always reigns in the average-above average range.

We used to really enjoy 'Ohana, but at some point they dropped a couple of the main skewer items (pork & chicken, I think?) and changed some of the other things to items the rest of my group just won't eat. Even when we loved the food choices the service was often left wanting while we waited for additional drink orders to be filled or for the skewers to come around with the items we wanted. Consequently it's been years since we've been there, and we won't be returning until such time as the menu includes more choices my family will eat. Obviously there are people here who love it...horses for courses. :)

It's a twice and now done for me. I didn't enjoy the food a few years ago on my first visit but, because of the glowing reviews, 'Ohana's cult status and how tough the reservations are to get, thought I maybe just hit an off night. I managed to get an ADR last Fall. Still didn't enjoy the food. Found the mains all had the same chemical teriyaki taste. The shrimp and the steak not good quality. I did try from different skewers. The dessert was great but an $ meal for just dessert. I'll leave it to the many who genuinely love 'Ohana and have great memories of past dining experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!