Is opt out credit available at Beach Club?

Assuming housekeeping makes up your room, I agree. I've had our room missed too many times in the last few years at all three resort levels to consider it a guarantee.

Never had them miss it, that I can recall at least. I have asked them to come back later when they came early before we left for day and then they didn't come back until late afternoon, so we had to go to bar and have a glass of wine while they cleaned (poor us), but that's it.

ITA, but why do you think guests staying at a moderate or even value resort desire a room with mold, bugs and garbage in the hall? I sort of expect that if I booked a $29 a night room off site. What about room service trays sitting in the hall for hours?

I think this optout of housekeeping deal is a response to a difficulty in hiring staff.
I'm against the policy at any level of resort, but it's especially inappropriate for deluxes for the reasons I stated.

I'm against the policy at any level of resort, but it's especially inappropriate for deluxes for the reasons I stated.
I agree with your point, but not the distinction between resort classes. A clean room and halls is a requirement of every class of Disney resort. When I think of the amenities gained by going up to a Deluxe: balconies, larger room, room service, signature dining, better themeing and transportation options I never once considered cleaner rooms.

I wonder what percentage of the opt out group are opting out because they are over room capacity or using cooking appliances which aren't allowed..

Assuming housekeeping makes up your room, I agree. I've had our room missed too many times in the last few years at all three resort levels to consider it a guarantee.

We had our room missed on our last two trips as well, and we were staying at BWI CL and BC. And yes, we called and were assured it would be taken care of and it still wasn't until the next day. This happened on both trips. At the BWI it was especially inconvenient because they had sent us a complimentary dessert & sparkling champagne tray, and it was starting to get smelly and gross -- and even after they came to clean the room while we were away, they still left the tray behind! H actually picked it up and took it out of the room and walked around until he found someone from Mousekeeping that he could hand it to. Like several PPs said, I think Mousekeeping is understaffed.

I agree with your point, but not the distinction between resort classes. A clean room and halls is a requirement of every class of Disney resort. When I think of the amenities gained by going up to a Deluxe: balconies, larger room, room service, signature dining, better themeing and transportation options I never once considered cleaner rooms.

I wonder what percentage of the opt out group are opting out because they are over room capacity or using cooking appliances which aren't allowed..
They'd still have a daily security check, so those are no reasons for opting out of housekeeping.

HMMMMMM Deluxe resorts all have room service and I have always seen trays of left over food outside rooms... some choose QS with the same result or glasses of wine etc...
While one would think the great people who stay at Deluxe, I do as well, would have great manors... They don't...
I have even seen people use the pool towels as Napkins at the deluxe resorts that have people coming around to serve you drinks and food -- I will leave the resort names out..
As far as an opt out... I would not think it would be a good option to offer to a person willing to pay a deluxe rate to receive 10 bucks a night to not have the room cleaned.... saving on??? and deluxe resort is just not something used together.

I make my own bed at home everyday and I expect a made bed when I stay at a hotel. I will reuse towels multiple days, but aI want a clean mirror and clean sinks everyday. I would never opt out. I will call if they miss my room.

When my daughter was a competitive ice skater, some of the other skaters would trash out a room so badly i wouldn’t go in their rooms. I cringe to think of the shape some of the opt out rooms are in. My snobby little self will continue to stay deluxe.

Wonder why?

Offering this is a financial loss for Disney.

Disney has a SEVERE housekeeper shortage. The deluxe resorts will get the most housekeepers and the shortage will be put on the moderate and values. It can work there due to the rooms opening up to the outdoors where guests can pile dirty towels, food and garbage out on the walkways (yup seen it all). There are also large trashcans at the end of hallways that hopefully guests will use. These type of "eyesores" would not be tolerated in the indoor hallways.

Offering this is a financial loss for Disney.

Disney has a SEVERE housekeeper shortage. The deluxe resorts will get the most housekeepers and the shortage will be put on the moderate and values. It can work there due to the rooms opening up to the outdoors where guests can pile dirty towels, food and garbage out on the walkways (yup seen it all). There are also large trashcans at the end of hallways that hopefully guests will use. These type of "eyesores" would not be tolerated in the indoor hallways.
Good point. Forgot about that. Even though it is a financial loss for Disney, it still must be cheaper than paying the housekeepers a decent pay for this job.

Good point. Forgot about that. Even though it is a financial loss for Disney, it still must be cheaper than paying the housekeepers a decent pay for this job.
Yes, if they were genuinely well-paid, there wouldn't be a shortage. It's the combination of hard work and low pay/lack of benefits that causes a shortage in the first place.

People will do hard work for decent pay & good benefits, or will do easier jobs for low pay & few/no benefits, but when you try to force the former to coincide with the latter, fewer able people are interested.

Last edited:
Yes, if they were genuinely well-paid, there wouldn't be a shortage.

It's the combination of hard work and low pay/lack of benefits that causes a shortage in the first place. People will do hard work for decent pay & good benefits, or will do easier jobs for low pay & few/no benefits, but when you try to force the former to coincide with the latter, fewer able people are interested.
Exactly. Disney knows how to end this shortage.

Well it's not cheaper for them right now and not likely for the future either. Disney simply has way too much competition in the hospitality industry where working conditions, perks and some pay is better.

Last I read they are to clean 3-4 rooms per hour (15 minutes per occupied room, 30 minutes for changeover). We know that you can't opt out of one night aka checkout night. So just calculate out 4 occupied rooms opt out receiving $40 per day; while that hour the housekeeper pay saved was only about $11-12. The gap won't close, Disney will continue to lose money and that aren't doing that because they want to. They will never pay the equivalent because it's not justifiable.

Now they can become more competitive and maybe not have the hiring issue but lots of ifs there ...

Disney currently is offering a $1000 hiring bonus for housekeepers.

I agree with many PPs - when I’m on vacation, I don’t want to make my bed or clean. With the prices I pay to stay at WDW I wouldn’t ever opt out of cleaning, not really going to save much anyways. It’s also why I book at WDW with free dining or PSD, so I have everything taken care of up front and I can enjoy our vacation.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never ever have housekeeping clean up my room while I'm on vacation. I don't like a stranger around my things and I don't need my bed made for me. The times I've had it, they don't do that great of a job anyway so it never bothered me to not have it. At other hotel chains it's pretty standard to opt out and get something, Marriott and the Swan and Dolphin do this. I just usually leave the do not disturb up the whole trip, so it would be nice to get something for it. With the room checks this is the first time I've dealt with having the room cleaned and I'm not a fan. I've also never left garbage out in a hall. I've found bugs and mold in the deluxe's so I guess the cleaning isn't really keeping that away anyway. $10 isn't going to make or break the bank, but I'm definitely not rich enough to turn away free money.

You might be in the minority, but you are certainly not the only one. Discount or no discount, my wife will opt out. She is one of those who will clean the room when we arrive. Using housekeeping would just mean more work/stress for her each day. And, like you, I am one of those would would not turn away $10 (but I understand why it is not offered and it is not a big deal).

We almost always stay deluxe and I like Mousekeeping to come in to do the following:
- replace dirty towels with clean ones
- refill the coffee supplies - most important :)
- bring clean mugs and glasses
- remove the trash
- refill shampoo, etc, if necessary
I don't have to have the beds made, but I don't mind if they do it.

Even if you stayed value or moderate, I would still want Mousekeeping to come in to clean the room. It's my vacation and I want to be pampered. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter