Is parking at the Poly a problem?

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
I’ve read some reports indicating that at it can be difficult to find parking at the Poly. Is this true?

What do you do if you can’t find a spot?

I’ve had a car at other deluxe resorts (YC, BWI, WL) and haven’t had problems, but I’m a little nervous.

Any insight?

What do you do if you can’t find a spot?
Demand a parking refund?

Only half way kidding. If I had to circle the lot for an extended period of time, I probably would stop at the front desk and let them know I wasn't getting value for what I had paid.

If you're just visiting, you can park at TTC and walk over. But I have to think you couldn't leave a car overnight there.

I've heard of it being a problem, but honestly if people weren't finding spots at all, I have to think we would see more threads on it.

Demand a parking refund?

Only half way kidding. If I had to circle the lot for an extended period of time, I probably would stop at the front desk and let them know I wasn't getting value for what I had paid.

If you're just visiting, you can park at TTC and walk over. But I have to think you couldn't leave a car overnight there.

I've heard of it being a problem, but honestly if people weren't finding spots at all, I have to think we would see more threads on it.

I’m going to be staying there, and I’m already booked, so I *should* be exempt from the new parking fees.

But you’re right, I haven’t seen a ton of outrage or complaining. Just a little here and there.

The Poly parking lot seems always to be full, especially in the evening with non-overnight guests dining and staying there until the fireworks show is over.

Instead of circling around for ages we just parked in the lot in front of Pago Pago. There were just a handful of cars most of the time. Even when our room would be in Aoteaora or Tuvalu I would prefer not to park in the main lot because the frustration rate can be high during certain times.

The Poly parking lot seems always to be full, especially in the evening with non-overnight guests dining and staying there until the fireworks show is over.

Instead of circling around for ages we just parked in the lot in front of Pago Pago. There were just a handful of cars most of the time. Even when our room would be in Aoteaora or Tuvalu I would prefer not to park in the main lot because the frustration rate can be high during certain times.

Thanks for the info! I don’t mind walking, I just want a place to put my car without a lot of frustration.

I can't believe they aren't charging nonresort guests to park in those lots. Pretty outrageous now that guests have to pay...

I agree. I mentioned that I should be exempt from the parking fee based on when I booked, but if I had to pay $24 and had frustration finding a spot due to all the people who were parked there for free, I’d lose my ever loving mind!

Yes it was for us almost every time.

Waiting in line to ride the small boats at MK at close 2 "business" men tried to cut infront of me and the kids. We were at that just a few more on the boat stage. We all had to wait. (fwiw take the monorail at close) As I watched them leave they headed straight to the parking lot to their car. :sad2: Yes it was a big problem and seeing that only made you more upset. Can't imagine having to pay now and see that!

Yes, its a problem. Its a small lot for a hotel with many popular dining venues and easy access to the MK. At 8am it becomes a problem, but at 5 PM, it becomes a real nightmare until the end of the night. People who left their car there in the morning after breakfast and are still at the MK, Ohana diners and Luau goers who linger around to watch the fireworks at the beach at 9, or take the mononrail to the MK to see them up close and Trader Sams....

In 2015, I had enough of the 20 minute lot circling and finally went to the desk to ask what could be done. I told the CM I clearly saw many people get off the monorail nightly and head straight to the parking lot. She basically said there was nothing that could be done. I asked to talk to a manager. Told the manager it had been day 3 of a 12 night stay and it was frustrating not to be able to find a spot at night. He said he would give me valet parking for free for the remainder of my stay.

The whole purpose of having a car was to not have to waste any time on my trip. I was heavily scheduled with dining and plans. I did not want to wait for someone to get my car and more importantly, I did not want to tip someone to get my car that I should have easily been able to park myself..assuming it was included in the $640 I was paying per night. I assumed wrong I guess.

Parking can be a problem. We typically fly, but we did drive on a recent trip with a stay at the Poly, and since we had such trouble finding a parking spot the day we checked in, we decided to not move our car for the rest of the trip. Maybe if they charged those parking at resorts to dine, then that would deter those people from driving and free up parking space for those that are actually staying at the resort and now paying to park there.

Those who have had issues - saw someone said something and received Valet parking. Did you discuss with someone the issues with parking. We are going in August. Years ago we had issues one night with finding a spot.

It definitely can be a problem. We have had times where there has been no spaces and not necessarily during busy times of year. That’s my issue with the parking fee. I don’t have a problem with resort fees per se, but I do when people just visiting don’t have to at least get a parking pass validated. In essence, Disney wants to charge me for the joy of trying to find a parking spot because visitors want to go to MK without paying a parking fee.

Parking fees should be applied to everyone unless validated because they spent money on ADR or in the shops.

Those who have had issues - saw someone said something and received Valet parking. Did you discuss with someone the issues with parking. We are going in August. Years ago we had issues one night with finding a spot.

I was offered the valet parking, but didnt take them up on it. Although free, I would not have felt good not tipping, and we typically go out / come back in the car 4 - 6 times per day. At (what remained of our trip) 9 days, average 5 tips per day at minimum 3 dollars (probably more like $5, but lets say $3), that would have cost me $135 to "free valet" (more like $225 because I probably would have given 5). I felt I should not have had to do that when others were parked there for free and not even already paying $$$$$ to stay at the resort.

To me, the reason I chose a monorail resort, was for the extreme convenience to get around the parks. Because come parks are not extremely convenient via monorail, I also pay to rent a car so everything I do is convenient for me. The monorail now is anything but convenient, waiting in extremely long lines as you leave the MK due to all the guests just using the resort monorail to get to the TTC, and the fact that many many times, the monorail is barely running...maintenance issues or completely broken down. In addition, the Poly is overcrowded with Ohana guests waiting endlessly for their reservations, SoA guests, Trader Sam guests, pool hopper guests, Kona breakfast guests, people who just want to have a looksy guests etc... I decided last year to get off the monorail loop and stay at the Yacht Club. Yes, YC had its small parking issues as its a convention hotel and the attendees usually rent a car and leave it there all day, but it was NOTHING compared to my last couple of stays at the Poly.

I’m starting to feel like I may have made a mistake booking Poly...

Sorry to make you think that. It does have its pluses, though for me the negative far outweigh what got me there 40 years ago (aside from my parents!!) and had me fantasizing about my next trip! It was the theme. Im from New England so it was oh so tropical and exotic and you were greeted in the lobby and given leis and everyone was smiling and the volcano pool and the monorail to quickly get me to MK at 10:00pm to get cookies and milk at the Main St bakery for my kids etc...

So now....the volcano pool is gone. Anyone and their mother can go to the pool...and do. The monorail is a joke. It would take less time to take the express and walk back from the TTC, No more lei greeters, the gigantic wanterfall in the lobby is gone. The room decor is white linen with a touch of bamboo. Parking is a nightmare and when I stayed, I took the monorail to the Contemporary to get an ice cream and some peace and quiet because the QS at Captain Cooks is way over crowded from 11am until around 4, noisy and constantly has kids playing at the soda fountain, then spilling everywhere because they filled their mugs too high (sticky floors!) .And its loud at the pool and in the lobby from all the guests.

Im not saying dont stay there...really Im not. But...just take a peak at your second choice resort and if the savings is over $300 - $400, then seriously consider your options.

All this, and I try to pick the slowest times of the year to go (Sept/Oct/May...but when its a slow season, they cut back on staff, so you really dont gain anything there either)

Sorry to make you think that. It does have its pluses, though for me the negative far outweigh what got me there 40 years ago (aside from my parents!!) and had me fantasizing about my next trip! It was the theme. Im from New England so it was oh so tropical and exotic and you were greeted in the lobby and given leis and everyone was smiling and the volcano pool and the monorail to quickly get me to MK at 10:00pm to get cookies and milk at the Main St bakery for my kids etc...

So now....the volcano pool is gone. Anyone and their mother can go to the pool...and do. The monorail is a joke. It would take less time to take the express and walk back from the TTC, No more lei greeters, the gigantic wanterfall in the lobby is gone. The room decor is white linen with a touch of bamboo. Parking is a nightmare and when I stayed, I took the monorail to the Contemporary to get an ice cream and some peace and quiet because the QS at Captain Cooks is way over crowded from 11am until around 4, noisy and constantly has kids playing at the soda fountain, then spilling everywhere because they filled their mugs too high (sticky floors!) .And its loud at the pool and in the lobby from all the guests.

Im not saying dont stay there...really Im not. But...just take a peak at your second choice resort and if the savings is over $300 - $400, then seriously consider your options.

All this, and I try to pick the slowest times of the year to go (Sept/Oct/May...but when its a slow season, they cut back on staff, so you really dont gain anything there either)

If I’m being totally honest, none of the things you describe bother me other than the parking. I’m a stay at home mom to a 2 year old boy...I’m used to loud (we go to music class, Children’s museum, zoo, cousins houses, etc.).

Due to the parking cost, this is probably going to be our last onsite stay. I’ve stayed everywhere else I want to and have always been interested in the Poly. I got a 20% discount from a TA for October and was so excited and am slowly becoming less and less thrilled about this trip.

We've stayed at the Poly twice so far, we always have a car with us (mom doesn't fly). Jan 2017 we left the resort and came back with our car twice and didn't have any problems. We stayed there for a week last August and it was a disaster. We only used our car once to go to Universal Studios for dinner one night, came back at 7:00 and my dad spent half an hour circling the parking lot until something finally opened up at the very back of the lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!