Is Race Retreat Worth it?

PointerPower

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I am registered for the 2019 Marathon and have a question on the race retreat option. Have you found that it was worth the money? I purchased it this time because this time it'll be a full marathon, and I want to make sure I have a place to get some pre-race food and coffee. Does anyone know what the brunch is like after the marathon?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to marathon #7 at WDW!

For having someplace to sit for an hour or so before the race and not being in 30* temperatures for that time I appreciated having it before the half this past January. After the race I grabbed a bagel to take with me so can not comment on whatever else was there.

I signed up for it for Dopey last year. It was my first marathon and Dopey and I viewed it as a one and done thing. Figured I'd want a good bit of merchandise and didn't want to battle the crowds so I did the retreat. It made the Expo a breeze but having a place to escape the cold before the half and full was amazing. Definitely worth it with the temperatures last year!

Having had it WITH early entry to the Expo, I don't think it's worth it to not get early entry now.

Having had it WITH early entry to the Expo, I don't think it's worth it to not get early entry now.

I didn't see that it no longer includes early access to the Expo. Wouldn't do it again without that.

Thanks for the info - bummer there's no early access to the Expo this time around

I won't speak for everyone, but for ME - the Early Expo entry was almost worth the one-day fee for Race Retreat. I never really used the raceday amenities - especially pre-race, since I drive and sit in my truck until the last possible moment.

Plus, I have to walk PAST general Gear Check AND the beer tent, and then back to the finish line to get to free Powerade and such that you get in the Race Retreat tent. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The Race Retreat itself is relatively convenient (in theory) for pre-race, but not at all for post-race.

I signed up for race retreat primarily because it gives me the opportunity to sit down for even a small portion during the mornings of the half and the full. I'll be on my feet for roughly 9-10 hours during the half and full alone so I figure whatever time I do not have to spend on my feet better. For a variety of reasons, Dopey may well be a one and done for me, so I decided to try it based on those reasons.

I would encourage everyone thinking about Race Retreat to look at the map from Marathon Weekend this year. It is NOT convenient to the corrals and you still have to walk the half-mile+ to the corrals. It's also out-of-the-way from the busses, so you're tacking on mileage.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.45.48 PM.png

For those who haven't done a WDW race before, the half-mile walk starts past the red Resort Transportation area. So, you have to walk FROM the bus, back through the general area, down towards the Finish Line to get into the tent. And then walk back.

Last edited:
@Keels makes a great point about the distance from the corrals. I got the Race Retreat for Princess Half 2016. It was absolutely great for pre-race & virtually useless for post-race. Unless you’re a speedy Elite in Corral A or B and planning on finishing hours before anyone else.

I’d buy it in a hot minute if it still included getting into the expo early. If they took that away, then that’s a huge con.

The pro would mostly be having somewhere to hang out pre race out of the temps that January brings. If you plan to want some of the pre race character photos, those lines can get quite long. I spent most of my pre race time standing in those lines. So, from that perspective I missed out on fully utilizing the race retreat tent.

I purchased race retreat for the 2017 & 2018 Princess Half. 2017 was my first half and I was by myself. It helped my nerves a bit having a dedicated tent in the morning and private porta potties and gear check. The buffet breakfast after the race was way okay. They had coffee, chocolate milk, Powerade, water, soda, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, yogurt with toppings, oatmeal with toppings, bananas, pastries and maybe bagels and toast??? There’s also a bar to purchase wine & beer. I purchased it in 2018 for the early expo access. After running Dark Side with no retreat I’ve decided that I’d rather spend the money on a brunch with better food. The retreat tent is so out of the way too. There’s just something special about being in the finish area with the other runners. You kind of lose that being isolated in the tent. Yeah, they have tv screens showing runners crossing the finish line, but it’s just not the same. And it’s loud in the tent after the race. They’ve got a DJ blasting music and making announcements between songs.

If temps for Dopey are stupid cold, I’m going to drive and sit in my car for as long as possible. I know most won’t have that luxury though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter