Is Rivers of Light water treated?

njbuck

Earning My Ears
This is a crazy question....

Is the Rivers of Light Water treated for amoebas/parasites?
If not, is there any danger of breathing in the mist from the water sprays?
How about the Fantasmic water?

Just wondering.

It might be I'm not sure. You aren't as close to the water projections for rivers of light as you are in fantasmic so I'm not even sure you will get the mist spray like you do for fantasmic.

Off topic but seeing this reminded me that I've always been curious how deep the discovery river is

More than likely no. All bodies of water at the WDW Resort are connected by either man made waterways or by pipelines. You also won't pick up the amoeba by the mist. You have to physically swallow the water. Quite a bit of it.

It might be I'm not sure. You aren't as close to the water projections for rivers of light as you are in fantasmic so I'm not even sure you will get the mist spray like you do for fantasmic.

I'm sure there will be mist on some nights. If not in the seats, around the walkways. Most notably near the Yeti shrine/monkey enclosure.

More than likely no. All bodies of water at the WDW Resort are connected by either man made waterways or by pipelines. You also won't pick up the amoeba by the mist. You have to physically swallow the water. Quite a bit of it.

Since the OP specifically mentioned breathing in the mist, I assumed they were talking about Naegleria fowleri, which is pretty harmless if swallowed. I think any amount is harmful up the nose, since kids playing in rain puddles and slip n slides have been infected. I've wondered if the water on rides like KRR, Splash and PoC (especially PoC since its not technically a ride where you are supposed to get wet, but sometimes do) is treated, but I'd assume the water at Fantasmic and ROL isn't, since it probably comes from the surrounding lakes.

Other than at Disney's River Country (which was fed by lake water) is there a case of this ameba infecting anyone on a ride or a show at Disney?

Other than at Disney's River Country (which was fed by lake water) is there a case of this ameba infecting anyone on a ride or a show at Disney?

No, but I also don't think it the N. Fowleri infected anyone at Disney World. They just found it to be in the water. There was a small watering hole that had some water slides and things in southern Florida close to Disney World where a child was infected with the amoeba, but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from Disney water, even when River Country was open.

My mistake. I googled it after I posted my comment and I guess a child did pass away from the parasite. I thought they just discovered it in the waters and couldn't get rid of it even through filters, so they closed the park. I learned something new!

Regardless, to the OP- I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a sensationalized "danger" that always makes headlines when it's discovered, but is still very VERY rare. Even if you somehow got close enough to inhale the water from the shows through your nose, the cases where people have died from this thing have had water poured into their noses (like with untreated neti pot water), or had water forcefully shot up their nose by jumping into a warm lake or as someone else said, from getting water shot up their nose while sliding on a slip and slide.

According to the CDC, they started keeping track of this nasty thing in 1962, and from then until last year, only 133 cases in the US have ever been known. That makes it EXTREMELY rare.

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be mist on some nights.

1) Yes, there will be mist, just like Fantasmic! has mist that touches the audience.
2) Of course, even more so on windy nights.
3) And, no, the river does not have treated/filtered water.

If this was even close to being an issue, Disney would make every effort not to put people in harms way. The potential quantity of lawsuits would make all the members of the Florida Bar's decade.

This is a crazy question....

Is the Rivers of Light Water treated for amoebas/parasites?
If not, is there any danger of breathing in the mist from the water sprays?
How about the Fantasmic water?

Just wondering.

I will say that I have absolutely expertise on this subject but, I will say this sounds like the kind of thing that may be theoretically possible but the chances of some kind of infection actually happening is infinitesimally small. You are probably better off worrying about being killed by a piece of falling space debris while riding Dinosaur or being swallowed by an undetected sink hole while walking into the park. ...Oops, I hope I haven't given you a couple more nightmare scenarios to contemplate. :)

Wrong. It has to go up the nose. It lives in warmer water so shallow and closer to banks. This is why you are not allowed to enter the water on the beaches.

"...enters through the nasal cavity and reaches the brain through the olfactory nerve...." "The CDC recommends avoiding water activities in bodies of warm freshwater, particularly when there are low levels of water, holding your nose or using a nose clip when swimming, and not kicking up dirt or soil when playing in shallow water."

Fantasmic is pretty self contained and would guess water treated as should be water on all attractions. I certainly wouldn't place myself in a position to get wet from more "natural" water sources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter