Is Sci-Fi Dine-In scary?

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
travelling with my girls who will be 3 and 6. They are fairly easily scared (ie by Ursula, the wolves in Beauty and the Beast, etc). Will they find the movie clips in Sci-Fi Dine in Theatre in dhs scary, or are the clips more lighthearted?

My kids were probably about the same age the first time we ate there and they enjoyed..But they are boys who weren't as easily as scared by cartoons. Honestly, I don't remember an overabundance about the clips other than silly clips of things like huge lizards walking thru towns and the like.

It isn't scary at all to adults, but I wouldn't bring preschoolers to it. The content isn't meant for them, & some of them might find some of the images disturbing.

My kids never found it scary; it's quite silly. That being said, I've heard of kids being afraid of Haunted Mansion, so if they're that type of child I would skip it.

If you have a reservation, maybe ask if you can go in early to show them the restaurant for a minute. That way you can see if it will frighten them or not.

My kids don't find it scary at all. As a PP said, it's more silly than scary. If you're considered I would suggest watching the loop on you tube, i'm pretty sure it's available there.

It's been over 9 yrs since we went...my oldest daughter turned 9 on that trip, my youngest was almost 5. Well...my 9 yr old was terrified by the movie clips...didn't eat her meal, etc. My 5 yr old was fine. My oldest NEVER wanted to eat there again...so we haven't, lol. She's in college now, and we'll be taking a trip without her next February...and we're taking the younger one (14 yrs old) there--so we finally get to try it out again!

So...you know your kids best, if they're frightened by Ursula, the wolves, etc...I'd just wait until they're older to go...of course based upon my experience...maybe wait until middle school, lol. But, yes, you can check out the clips ahead of time online--if you really want to eat there, maybe even watch some of the clips online with them...see how they react in a safe environment...if they seem okay, take them, and tell them...these are the same clips you saw at home, nothing to be afraid of.

My friend’s then-4.5 year old daughter was so scared last year that they had to leave before they finished their meals. I don’t know the details, but I do know she was terrified. I would definitely second the suggestion to check it out on YouTube.

Thanks. I don’t have an overwhelming need to go there, I just think the menu is the most appealing to my family of all the options, even if we just do appetizers and/or desserts for a mid-day a/c break. I’ll check out the you tube videos and scour the menus of other places a little harder!

My daughter was 9 on our last trip and while she didn’t complain while we were there, after we left she said she didn’t want to eat there again because the movies were scary.

My 5 yo asked me just last night if we could please never go to the scary car restaurant again ‍♀️ It’s been several months he thought it was absolutely terrifying.

My 5 yo asked me just last night if we could please never go to the scary car restaurant again ‍♀️ It’s been several months he thought it was absolutely terrifying.

This was so helpful. Thank you. I think I’m going to try a different place. I hope your son overcomes it,poor kid.

travelling with my girls who will be 3 and 6. They are fairly easily scared (ie by Ursula, the wolves in Beauty and the Beast, etc). Will they find the movie clips in Sci-Fi Dine in Theatre in dhs scary, or are the clips more lighthearted?

My kids hid under the table for most of dinner. The videos were very very scary for them as well :( We didn't clue in that the shows would be scary (it was our first visit to WDW) but there are scenes of a woman getting stabbed in the back, monsters, aliens, people screaming, (A LOT of screaming) etc. The waiter was trying his best to console my 7 year old who was in tears that the videos were just "silly" but she didn't see it that way AT ALL. I was bummed because it was super hard to get our reservation and I was so excited about it but my kids hated it. We won't go back. When you are shelling out that kind of money to dine it truly puts a damper on the day when your kid is crying through most of the meal.. I am actually really surprised to read that other kids weren't bothered by it. Maybe we are just really careful with what our kids see or maybe they are just very sensitive, lol.

Last edited:
I probably don't need to remind you-it's amazing what kids are/are not afraid of. My DGD was fine with SDMT but she was petrified on Dumbo, so much that Grandpa let her off and they stood and waved at us. She'd chosen a trip to WDW to let her fear of heights come out!

My (then 6 year old) thought some of the videos were scary. We just assured him that everything was fake. But he did love eating there, and is excited to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter