is Sci Fi that bad?

3reds

Mouseketeer
I think the Sci-Fi restaurant in MGM (where you eat in the cars) looks so fun! I've read a couple of reviews that said the food is terrible. I'm wondering if it's really that bad.
We would be eating lunch there, and if they have a decent hamburger we'll be satisfied. Should we stay away at all costs, or go ahead & give it a try?
:confused:

My wife & I like (we used to like it more until the changed their menu a few years ago)... It's certainly a fun place to eat, and I think their burgers are pretty good (certainly better than a counter-service burger). It's always nice and cool in there too. While it's not my favorite place in WDW, it's certainly worth a visit for an entertaining meal!

It's been about 5 years since we ate there so this may not be accurate, but we felt the food was terrible. The atmosphere was lots of fun and the kids enjoyed it because of this. I've read a number of recent reviews that are positve, however, so maybe it's improved.

My family and I enjoy Sci Fi a lot and make plans to eat there for lunch every time we go. Yes, its not the "best" food at WDW but we have had some yummy grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers and a great Ceasar Salad. The kids usually have no trouble finding an entree and it is marvelously cool and quiet compared to the hectic parks. Its one of the most quiet resteraunts we have eaten at at WDW, due in part to people watching the movies and the twilight atmosphere. Some servers shout out along with the movies, but that is part of the fun. I say go!! We love it.

We enjoyed it in July and will return in April.

My DH & I were there in June.

IMHO...it was just Okay. Nice experience, we wouldn't eat there again.

It was very dark...you could hardly read the menu, but nice and cool. The service was okay...Just a little south of being good. The food was just okay and it was pricey. I really wasn't impressed.

If you've never been there....I'd go, have a burger and some atmosphere.... tell the kids to ask for the glow in the dark ice cubes.

Definitely go - we enjoyed it so much the first time that we went back last year. Both times we had burgers and they were just fine. No complaints. Enjoy!!!:D

Hi 3reds!

I was afraid of the reviews too. I knew my boyfriend would love the setting so I told him the reviews were bad but asked if he wanted to try it anyway. He said “Of course! The reviews of those films stink too, but I love them! Let’s go!”

So off we went, I was very pleased we did. It was a hot hot busy day at MGM and the Sci Fi was a perfect oasis. It was so peaceful and cool and dark.

We each had the cheeseburgers, his with cheddar and onions, mine with swiss and mushrooms. They were large and juicy and we did not encounter the greasiness reported by other reviewers. The accompanying fries were the frozen crinkle type but fit perfectly with the atmosphere. Pickles on the side… perfect.

He also had a chocolate shake which he loved. Very very thick and filling. Being the connoisseur of blue drinks that I am I tried the “Beyond and Blue” from the adult drink menu. Very tart and refreshing. It kind of glowed causing me to make jokes about “Paradise by the Dashboard Light”!

The trailers were a riot, our server pleasant and quick the food filling and nostalgic. I read a ton of reviews and I would have to say that this restaurant can be quite variable in both food and service. Stray from the basics at your own risk! Could be a delight or a disaster. I sometimes wonder if some of the bad reviews of this place stem from expectations rather than the experience itself.

Just my opinion of course, but I would return without hesitation.

The Sci Fi diner is one of my favorite places to eat at WDW. The environment is relaxing, comfortable, and unique. The movies they show are fun to watch while you sit in your "car". The food has been pretty good both times that I have been there. The milkshakes are soooooo yummy!! I think you should definitely experience this place!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

its a good attraction we like it and as for the food i never thought any of the disney food was anything to rave about. we eat at chilis, bennigans, steak & ale and the like for the most part. it's cheaper and better. also nice to see a fellow williamsport pa resident in the post above me.

I think if you stick with the basics you'll be fine. I had a burger and onion rings that were good in February. It really is a fun place too with the ridiculous old movie clips. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

One more vote for sticking with the basics. We've also found the cool, dark atmosphere calms the kids down and the movies can be a pleasant distraction.

BrianBWV

It is definitely not the best food to be had at WDW but it is far from terrible food. It is a fun place to go. We also stick with burgers, shakes and onion rings. I love the onion rings and the milkshakes!

I'm going to try it out for the first time this December. Your tips will be helpful. Burger please! We normally make 50's our "can't miss" but they are a little too pricy for us this time around.

I don't think I would describe Sci Fi as terrible, but it certainly ranks at the bottom of all the restaurants we did on our July trip --that includes eight other sit-downs as well as some counter service places. I'm guessing the burgers might be better at lunch since they are not really on the menu at night. The cheeseburger my teen got was awful -- way over cooked and no juice whatsoever. He only ate half of it, and he's a 14-year-old boy who always eats either two or three burgers. I expected burgers and shakes at this place to be good. The burgers weren't and the shakes come out of a machine already made like at McDonald's.

My Sci Fi meal -- a steak -- was actually pretty good (think Outback not high-end). But since I was sitting with a hungry teen who did not like his meal and my dh didn't think much of his (salmon), it wasn't a very good experience for me either.

We never miss eating at the Sci-Fi. We always order the grilled cheese off the kids menu. We have never had a waiter tell us that we could not order off the kids menu. They are great. If you like mikl shakes they make a fantastic shake with Bailies Irish Cream in it. Also, the kids love this place.

Ditto to everything Autumngirl said!!!

It was so dark that I could not read the menu....had to find a light!
Food was Okay, but pricy.
We might go back again, but there are other places we prefer or have not tried yet.

We've only tried it once so far, and just ordered dessert because of all the bad reviews. We were very pleased with it though and plan to go there again a month from now. Big Bang, here we come! :)

I actually love this restaurant. After all these high class meals it's a good place to feel comfortable in park gear, get a great hamburger and fries. Granted it is a little more pricey than the food but it is really neat for at least one meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter