Is something different going on with AKV-Jambo bookings?

aroundtheriverbend

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Was just looking at AKV Jambo as we have an Aug 1 reservation there. Oddly, almost zero rooms are available in any booking categories at AKVJ June 22 through end of September. I noticed random dates popping up when I looked a few times, and minutes later they were gone, almost like what was occurring when people cancelled during closure time and the system was scooping them up. I called into MS Just now as the last thing I want is to be holding a fake reservation, and they had no info but agreed it was really strange. For comparison, every other WDW DVC has copious availability before July 11 and good availability later in July/August. Thinking I should pull the trigger and move, Anyone have any info or thoughts? Thanks!
 

2theCastle

Earning My Ears
Joined
Feb 26, 2016
Thanks for bringing this up! We have a 1 bedroom value for 3 nights starting July 19 that I booked from an Easter reschedule. This change in availability literally happened today, I have been following availability and it has had fluctuating levels but never this. I would be fine if they upgrade me to a 1 bedroom at Kidani but who knows. Can they just close one of the DVC resorts because the rest of the building isn't open? I'm concerned they are going to cancel on me a week out as they have been and I will be left with nothing to grab at the last minute. If I'm lucky SSR may have an opening but I don't have points for a regular 1 bedroom and the studio won't take enough of what I have spent. I sure hope they will return borrowed points in that situation as this reservation is banked, borrowed, and OTU. I'm hoping for some major pixie dust if canceling is their plan. I'm so tired of the drama and now I'm wondering if this reservation is really going to happen. We will be heading over to Vero for another 3 nights so at least we will have that. I will update if I get any news but I'm not holding my breath, this forum is where I get the most help!
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks for bringing this up! We have a 1 bedroom value for 3 nights starting July 19 that I booked from an Easter reschedule. This change in availability literally happened today, I have been following availability and it has had fluctuating levels but never this. I would be fine if they upgrade me to a 1 bedroom at Kidani but who knows. Can they just close one of the DVC resorts because the rest of the building isn't open? I'm concerned they are going to cancel on me a week out as they have been and I will be left with nothing to grab at the last minute. If I'm lucky SSR may have an opening but I don't have points for a regular 1 bedroom and the studio won't take enough of what I have spent. I sure hope they will return borrowed points in that situation as this reservation is banked, borrowed, and OTU. I'm hoping for some major pixie dust if canceling is their plan. I'm so tired of the drama and now I'm wondering if this reservation is really going to happen. We will be heading over to Vero for another 3 nights so at least we will have that. I will update if I get any news but I'm not holding my breath, this forum is where I get the most help!
Since your reservation is after resorts are open, they won’t be canceling you,

They certainly could decide to leave Jambo closed and move everyone to Kidani, but only wondered if they might do that before the rest of the resort opens,

It was left off the list that went out, but not sure why. Could be they are trying to get people to book at Kidani to keep things coordinated for now? Not sure!
 
  • 2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    Since your reservation is after resorts are open, they won’t be canceling you,

    They certainly could decide to leave Jambo closed and move everyone to Kidani, but only wondered if they might do that before the rest of the resort opens,

    It was left off the list that went out, but not sure why. Could be they are trying to get people to book at Kidani to keep things coordinated for now? Not sure!

    Thanks for the reassurance! I thought we were in the clear with the dates but everything is still taking shape. It’s really fascinating to watch this all unfold but a bit unnerving at the same time! It’s wait and see for the moment!
     

    TikiRob

    In a Tropical Hideaway
    Joined
    Apr 4, 2018
    Since your reservation is after resorts are open, they won’t be canceling you,

    They certainly could decide to leave Jambo closed and move everyone to Kidani, but only wondered if they might do that before the rest of the resort opens,

    It was left off the list that went out, but not sure why. Could be they are trying to get people to book at Kidani to keep things coordinated for now? Not sure!
    This has me curious. I have a reservation in Jambo over July 4 weekend. What list are you referring to?
     

    aroundtheriverbend

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 24, 2009
    Thanks for bringing this up! We have a 1 bedroom value for 3 nights starting July 19 that I booked from an Easter reschedule. This change in availability literally happened today, I have been following availability and it has had fluctuating levels but never this. I would be fine if they upgrade me to a 1 bedroom at Kidani but who knows. Can they just close one of the DVC resorts because the rest of the building isn't open? I'm concerned they are going to cancel on me a week out as they have been and I will be left with nothing to grab at the last minute. If I'm lucky SSR may have an opening but I don't have points for a regular 1 bedroom and the studio won't take enough of what I have spent. I sure hope they will return borrowed points in that situation as this reservation is banked, borrowed, and OTU. I'm hoping for some major pixie dust if canceling is their plan. I'm so tired of the drama and now I'm wondering if this reservation is really going to happen. We will be heading over to Vero for another 3 nights so at least we will have that. I will update if I get any news but I'm not holding my breath, this forum is where I get the most help!
    Right there with you! This is a trip rescheduled from 5 days before the parks shut down to Memorial Day weekend to early July and now August. I’m tired too, our group is a total of 8 equaling 2 families who I feel responsible for. If we got up to the date and it wasnt going to work out last minute - especially if it could have been avoided - another disappointment would be so sad for the kids.

    I like Kidani but if Jambo isn’t open then no real quick service around... I’m leaning towards switching. The lady at MS basically said all they have to go off for info is the email we got as DVC and one other general note they got. She tried texting other MS folks but no one had any info either. She wasn’t aware of the list Sandisw mentioned, I’ve seen it too in these forums but can’t remember where. Lists all the WDW DVC resorts and Kidani by name but doesn’t list Jambo...
     

    2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    Found it!


    Thanks! Ugh! Looking at this list makes me think we win the prize for booking the only DVC that won’t be open! I’m sorry your family is going through this. It’s just my immediate family and we are going to have to be flexible and it looks like find a new place. I have watched so much availability come and go and had I realized could have grabbed something! Given the list it seems they could justify canceling because technically AKV is open but only Kidani. Gotta think this over but time is wasting while I watch and wait, good luck to everyone in this situation! Another twist in the DVC adventure!
     

    2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    Found it!


    Thanks! Ugh! Looking at this list makes me think we win the prize for booking the only DVC that won’t be open! I’m sorry your family is going through this. It’s just my immediate family and we are going to have to be flexible and it looks like find a new place. I have watched so much availability come and go and had I realized could have grabbed something! Given the list it seems they could justify canceling because technically AKV is open but only Kidani. Gotta think this over but time is wasting while I watch and wait, good luck to everyone in this situation! Another twist in the DVC adventure!
     

    2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    Well, chat is unavailable, phone rings busy, so I sent an email and maybe by next week we will have a generic response about resort openings. I can't do anything except cancel as I need MS to make any modifications and unborrow, etc and I'm not ready to do that, so if nothing else we will see what they do with June 22 reservations. They have been allowing regular DVC reservations this whole time so there are others who will be impacted before me.
     

    aroundtheriverbend

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 24, 2009
    Well, chat is unavailable, phone rings busy, so I sent an email and maybe by next week we will have a generic response about resort openings. I can't do anything except cancel as I need MS to make any modifications and unborrow, etc and I'm not ready to do that, so if nothing else we will see what they do with June 22 reservations. They have been allowing regular DVC reservations this whole time so there are others who will be impacted before me.
    Fingers crossed for you this was just some weird glitch thing!! Who knows maybe they read our concerns and will fix it. I went ahead and moved us to Bay Lake since I saw an opening. I love Jambo though, I might try to move us back if this all gets cleared up. With WDW cancelling everyone's FPs and ADRs, I still remain worried that everythings is up for grabs so erring on the side of caution.
     

    2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    Good plan and thanks! If I could move us I would though it appears people are still moving around a bit so maybe we will luck into something good! There is always good old SSR as a backup and it's a tough time, we have to be flexible if we still want to go. We'll see what happens but I think we are taking a break from WDW next year, trying to rebuild plans from the Easter trip and from Aulani for June, so if we can get through this trip I hope to not be navigating all this for awhile.
     

    2theCastle

    Earning My Ears
    Joined
    Feb 26, 2016
    That would make our stay interesting! Just booked a backup at OKW and have 2 reservations at the moment just need to rearrange points with MS if they are canceling Jambo. Hopefully have time to sort it out before we hit 31 days:)
     

    KAT4DISNEY

    Glad to be a test subject
    Joined
    Mar 17, 2008
    This does not appear to be an official Walt Disney World site (the site specifially says "WDWMAGIC.com is an unofficial site, and is in no way part of the Walt Disney Company". Maybe they just left Jambo off inadvertently? I pinged them to ask.
    That was going to be my question - has anybody actually confirmed this with someone official? I only find it on a bunch of blogs who might have simply missed listing a resort. The official announcement given by Disney is that all DVC resorts onsite at WDW are opening along with the campgrounds and doesn't mention any exclusions.
     

    Doingitagain

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 23, 2006
    I just checked and there is no availability showing for Jambo during the summer. Maybe they are blocking it to use for something else or to keep it closed. I will be very upset if they cancel my reservation or force me to move so some other group gets the room. If they don’t have Jambo open at all, that is different.
     

    huey578

    Test Track Dummy
    Joined
    Feb 8, 2004
    I just checked and there is no availability showing for Jambo during the summer. Maybe they are blocking it to use for something else or to keep it closed. I will be very upset if they cancel my reservation or force me to move so some other group gets the room. If they don’t have Jambo open at all, that is different.
    Room block for NBA players???:confused3
     

    cvjw

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Dec 22, 2005
    Just booked a jambo studio for September. Also availability now for August.
     

    TikiRob

    In a Tropical Hideaway
    Joined
    Apr 4, 2018
    I think this is more about DVC folks moving canceled March/April/May/June bookings to Mid-July, August and September. Doesn't Jambo always book up more quickly than Kidani?
     

    Connect

    Disney News and Updates





    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.





    Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

    BUY DVC


    SELL DVC


    DVC POINT CHARTS


    DIS PODCASTS




    Top