Is Spring Break comparable to Presidents Day Weekend?

sherilaine

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a week in Anaheim. We did 5 park days - Feb 12, 13, 14, 16 and 17th.

The mid week days were cool and rainy and we got a LOT done. We had MP and I lost count of how many rides we did - it was incredible really. Thursday we just walked onto GOTG three times.

We then took the Friday to do Universal and returned for Sat and Sun in the parks.

Now I know it's a long weekend so we fully expected crowds and we were fine as we had MP and had already pretty much gotten all the rides in we wanted by that point, so we had planned to do the 'other stuff' like Tiki Room and the non rides things that are so great at the park on those days to make for a relaxing end to the visit. We arrived early or did no bags so we didn't end up suffering through security.

It was crowded though - from our perspective at least - we've never been there in all our years visiting and seen Ariel with a 30 minute wait or a line to get into the Library in the Sorcerer's Workshop. That is jut two examples that blew us away.

My question is, we've thought of returning during Spring Break - outside of the unknown SWGE factor, is that the type of busy you see during Spring Break or Summer even? I can't imagine Christmas now.

Thanks in advance!

We were there for a few hours on Sunday. It was busy but not crazy by any means.

Parts of Spring Break are crazy. Parts of October are crazy. Christmas to New Years is extra-crazy.

Presidents‘ Day weekend (and the week after) have been quite busy for a few years now - I think that certainly, it’s the only time in January/February that’s consistently “really busy.”

We were there for a few hours on Sunday. It was busy but not crazy by any means.

Parts of Spring Break are crazy. Parts of October are crazy. Christmas to New Years is extra-crazy.

Presidents‘ Day weekend (and the week after) have been quite busy for a few years now - I think that certainly, it’s the only time in January/February that’s consistently “really busy.”

We noticed a big difference from Sunday evening to Saturday evening that was for sure! I had read about this time prior years so we certainly had managed expectations which I think helps considerably.

It will depend. LAUSD typically has spring break when Easter is.

That's the week we are going, but SoCal is blocked out that entire week, and the next pass is blocked out that Saturday. Plus the blockout from the ticket discount promo that week. I've been told even though that is the "worst" spring break week, the blockouts will actually make it better than the surrounding weeks. I sure hope so.

Our spring break is mid-march, which lines up with Anaheim spring break, so I am anticipating crowds. But the nice thing is the other big school districts appear to spread out spring break starting mid-march and going to Easter, so theoretically it doesn't bunch up TOO bad. This will be our first early spring DLR trip - previously we'd done June and September.

Spring break is usually worse in my experience. I've purposefully not gone on a trip during spring break season in a few years as a result. Trying it again this year. Lines can get pretty long. If you go in with the right attitude though, you can still get a lot out of your day.

We are heading down for Washington's spring break (First week of April) and I expect it to be busy. Honestly, I haven't seen it be not busy in a few years. We went last year over Memorial Day and it was busy, and for April break the year before and it was busy but both times we got everything we wanted to get done, done. I heard a lot of complaints when we were there over Memorial Day from people around us, but I think that is like the new normal at Disneyland. Its always busy.

I guess I should quantify busy - as I mentioned when Ariel has a 30 minute wait - that to me is pretty significant but maybe I've always been lucky? I am guessing spring break is no busier than that though.

We were there this weekend and really didn't think it was too bad! Sunday was more crowded than Saturday I felt. I would say it is about the same for Spring Break. It was about half as busy as Christmas.

Thanks. We were there Sat and Sunday and oddly found Sunday less busy than Sat especially in the evening. Clearly it’s all very subjective. Christmas twice as busy...guess we won’t be doing that. Thanks for the feedback, we can manage what we saw this past weekend fine so was just looking for some comparisons.

I was at DCA yesterday at it was slammed. 30+ minute wait for Little Mermaid and even the Golden Zephyr of all things was a 20 minute wait. A continuation of Presidents’ Day weekend? It was as busy if not busier as I’ve seen for spring break. Parking was atrocious.

Here are the different spring break dates for local districts. Obviously the most (and largest) are the week of 4/15...

3/18 Tustin
3/25 Fullerton
4/1 Irvine, Orange
4/8 Newport Mesa
4/15 LA, Huntington Beach, Ocean View (in HB), Placentia-Yorba Linda

Last edited:
Thanks. We were there Sat and Sunday and oddly found Sunday less busy than Sat especially in the evening. Clearly it’s all very subjective. Christmas twice as busy...guess we won’t be doing that. Thanks for the feedback, we can manage what we saw this past weekend fine so was just looking for some comparisons.
On Sat, we were mainly in DCA and Sunday we were more in DL. That could also account for it.

I was at DCA yesterday at it was slammed. 30+ minute wait for Little Mermaid and even the Golden Zephyr of all things was a 20 minute wait. A continuation of Presidents’ Day weekend? It was as busy if not busier as I’ve seen for spring break. Parking was atrocious.
A number of schools are off this week.

I went the Tuesday after Presidents’ Day in both 2017 and 2018.

Both days were so nuts that I decided to skip it this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts