Is Storytellers always so hectic?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
We did their character breakfast for the first time me and I wasn’t impressed. I am wondering if they were having an off morning or if this was usual since they usually have great reviews here. At check in we were told that we had to wait about 15 minutes because they were behind. The place was packed by check in but not in the restaurant.

We saw Chip & Dale, Minnie and Pluto but the interaction was very minimal. Midway through breakfast the kids said they much preferred Goofy’s. We had finished eating and only needed to see Mickey. Twice he passed our way but didn’t get to us. I asked the handler CM but he was no help. By the third time he’d skipped us I asked our waitress and she was amazing. I watched her go over and tell him to come over but he pointed the other way. She made him stay there and called us over. A dad with a baby cut us off so we had to wait for him before the kids finally got to see him very briefly. With minimal character interaction and having to try too hard to see Mickey it was a bummer for us.

We have been a few times albeit not for a couple of years. I found it much less hectic and hurried than Goofy's. Maybe an off day?

So here’s my take- the old storyteller was AMAZING! Great food, characters unusual, lots of interaction. The new setup is awful! We went in July and the food was not as good (they rotate the food now so apparently we missed the famous French toast which is one reason we go honestly), the characters plain and despite being there for almost 2 hours one character missed us (we did the same let our server know, let the lead know, etc) and a couple others we had to walk to the middle of the room to see (the lead told us to or no meet). I thought because it was new that month it would get better but clearly it hasn’t. We’ve always had to wait past check in which is annoying but it is what it is, but the ONLY time we were skipped in the old set up they had gone to the park and we were brought out a signed photo with our kids names on it as an in sorry for missing you- this time I don’t think they even said sorry! I still love Storytellers and when we go back in Dec I’m hoping for the best but it was chaotic! LOTS of families meeting characters in the middle so they weren’t missed too (including us), one character “left for the park” but when hubs walked by without us later they were in meeting again, etc. we went at 9 am so shouldn’t have been any problem- hopefully they get it together soon!! Sorry your experience was similar to ours

We had reservations a few weeks back for a Wed. morning at 10AM and it was absolute pandemonium. We checked-in and people were spilling out onto the sidewalk waiting for a table - way out on the sidewalk since the restaurant lobby was shoulder to shoulder and the restaurant was packed. As we were waiting to be seated we watched for about 20 minutes and decided it looked too disorganized and out of control to be really enjoyable, we told the front desk to take our names off the list and left. From the check-in desk, to the buffet, to the characters, it all seemed to be a mess.

We have been to many WDW character breakfasts, especially Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace, so we aren't unaccustomed to busy and frenetic Disney buffet dining but this was something else entirely.

What is the famous French toast? Maybe it was missing from ours. I had told the kids it was supposed to be so good but it wasn’t so we were confused.

Our time was 10:15 on a Thursday so I was surprised it was so chaotic.

So the French toast is this gooey caramel French toast that is SOOO amazing- apparently we were told it’s the cooks’ grandma’s recipe and the gooey pieces are the best ones! They used to have it daily and now they swap it out every other day or so for something like Mickey waffles I think- still fun and good but it’s not grandma recipe sweet, gooey French toast that we actually ALL look forward to eating (even both picky eating kiddos haha). If you see French toast- try it SO good lol

I find much later then 9 am at any of the breakfasts is hard since they wind it down for non-character lunch. Although now I think all days are character brunches at Storytellers? For sure the weekends are, so you wouldn’t think it would matter what breakfast time you get since they are slated to be there until the afternoon.... but somehow I think Storytellers books up fairly full then they always seem to take walk ups to more then capacity, so that adds to the full and constantly moving feel. The wait staff makes a difference too- the waiter we almost always have is amazing, but the one last time made it feel a bit less amazing and less relaxing so that makes a difference. Honestly, if we felt like it was a chaotic, busy, bustling breakfast we would be ok as long as the characters came around eventually and we saw them for photos (especially since before the changeover we never had an issue in 4-5 years).... but since we had to go to the middle of the room for 2 and one “left” but miraculously was back after we left the restaurant I was not very pleased (especially after speaking with several people several times including the lead cm who promised us that character would come to our table right away). We’re giving it another try since we’ve had some issues with other breakfasts and gone back the next time and not had those issues, but at least if you book and know what the issues are maybe you can ensure you can circumvent them lol it’s still one of our favs so here’s to hoping we get French toast and all the characters next time- worst case Disneyland breakfasts are still better then breakfasts at home so I guess I can’t complain too much it’s just hard to stomach when you pay $150+ for your family to eat there lol

...I guess I can’t complain too much it’s just hard to stomach when you pay $150+ for your family to eat there lol
Yes you CAN complain. Disney is skimping out and wondering if anyone will notice so you (and anyone else) should write guest services and tell them of your impressions and disappointments. They could easily serve their famous French Toast each day but they have actively chosen not to.

Total chaos in July, but it was right after it was "reimagined". The check-in process was a disaster, and led to 10+ tables being seated before us because the two hostesses didn't realize that the iPad wasn't printing out names, just the computer...I emailed Disney about it (and our Lamplight lounge experience) and received a phone call in response. I was very specific, but I guess it didn't help.

I agree, but for a character breakfast, which is what the OP is describing, NR is not an option.
Has anyone tried Donald's breakfast at the PPH? Is that one any less chaotic than Storyteller's now?

Would love to hear of any Donald's breakfast experiences. We have a Stroytellers reservation for late November, and it's the last thing we do before we head back to reality so I really want it to be something fun, not hectic and hurried. This has me rethinking our plans.

We are also doing Storytellers right before we leave to fly back home. I am rethinking this. I thought it would be great, but, reading these experiences makes me wonder. I might stick with Goofy's Kitchen, the old tried and true.

Yes. It is a complete madhouse. Napa Rose is a much better experience
Napa Rose does not offer breakfast, let alone a character breakfast.

If you want to skip the character part, Steakhouse is great.

We've done Storytellers twice in the past 3 months, and always had a great experience. We had Mickey accidentally skip our table once, but the server made him come back. I chalked it up to being a new set up.

We are also doing Storytellers right before we leave to fly back home. I am rethinking this. I thought it would be great, but, reading these experiences makes me wonder. I might stick with Goofy's Kitchen, the old tried and true.

We do Goofy’s for dinner so breakfast could be different but our dinner this trip was great. The kids had an amazing time and lots of fun.

My family went on the Sept 1st. It was the Highlight of our trip. The food was amazing and the Characters where amazing with my two 7 year old grand daughters. Pluto sitting on the floor begging had them laughing hysterically. Usually I find a thing or two I like on a buffet and keep going back and getting the same thing. This time I had no duplicates and it all tasted great. We had the vouchers from GAT so that made it even better.

Last time we went was in December during Brunch. We were a group of 4 and waited less than 10 minutes to be seated. we had great service. I liked the food and so did the kids and DH. All characters came around to our table more than once. I was left alone when the kids and DH went to get more food and Chip sat with me to keep me company. We liked it so much we are doing it again this Christmas and doing their no character dinner too.

Also I think by the second table being seated before us I would have asked again where we were in line.

We all go in expecting different things from DL and I think if you were truly were disappointed then you should let someone know and tell them how they could have done better or what you expected.

DD wants to give this a try. She is the reasonable one of the family. We will go, have a good time, and whatever happens, we will be okay with it. It is something new to us so it will be high adventure.

Hmmm, we have the option of doing either dinner at Goofy's Kitchen on December 21 or brunch at Storytellers on December 22. I was leaning heavily towards Storytellers because the food at GK looks awful to me, frankly, and because my husband is vegetarian and would have more options at Storytellers. But if it's this bad, it will hardly be the break from the park that I was hoping for.

Hmmm, we have the option of doing either dinner at Goofy's Kitchen on December 21 or brunch at Storytellers on December 22. I was leaning heavily towards Storytellers because the food at GK looks awful to me, frankly, and because my husband is vegetarian and would have more options at Storytellers. But if it's this bad, it will hardly be the break from the park that I was hoping for.
I personally would do Storytellers.

Hmmm...bummer! I loved the old set up at storytellers and read good reviews on the new Mickey version...but this sounds rough. I don’t enjoy the chaos and would be really irritated at having to track down the characters. I’ll have to look into goofys. I love that chip and dale are there...they’re my favorite and hard to find :(. I hope they can work it out...but it’s a small space and I know they can only do so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter