Is Tables in Wonderland worth it?

DizFan13

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to do the math as to whether or not TIW is worthwhile? My family used it once a few years ago for a midsummer, fourteen-day trip, and it was definitely worth it then.

This time around, DH and I will be traveling three times in the next year: 12-27 - 1/1, 1/31 - 2/3, and TBD next December (for SWGE). The first trip, TIW would be blocked out for 12/31 and 1/1, and next year we'd likely be there 12/24 and 12/25, also blocked out. We eat breakfast at the resort, though, and I remember that being a big savings the last time we had TIW. I'm just not sure if it's worth the $200 membership: do I have to plot out every meal bill and compare the 20 percent TIW discount to the regular AP discounts to decide?

TIW is $150 for AP holders just to help you decide if the math works for you.

We have done both and think we will skip the TIW this year in favor for the AP.

The "easy" math is to see if you're going to eat about 37 TS-equivalent meals during that time, as that's roughly the cutoff. Not per person, but total.

If you like a drink or two with your meals, knock off 1 meal for every 3 cocktails or 5 beers you'll plan to have off the total. Alcohol is covered under Tables in Wonderland but not the AP discount.

If you dine at the resorts and already use valet parking, knock off 1 meal for every two times you valet. Valet parking is free with a Tables in Wonderland card.

If you'll eat more times than that TS-equivalent number, then TiW is a good deal. If the number is close, then you might have dig a little deeper.

The "easy" math is to see if you're going to eat about 37 TS-equivalent meals during that time, as that's roughly the cutoff. Not per person, but total.

If you like a drink or two with your meals, knock off 1 meal for every 3 cocktails or 5 beers you'll plan to have off the total. Alcohol is covered under Tables in Wonderland but not the AP discount.

If you dine at the resorts and already use valet parking, knock off 1 meal for every two times you valet. Valet parking is free with a Tables in Wonderland card.

If you'll eat more times than that TS-equivalent number, then TiW is a good deal. If the number is close, then you might have dig a little deeper.
Thank you. I didn't realize alcohol is covered by the TIW discount. DH has a beer or cocktail, if not two, with most TS meals, so that knowledge was a big help.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy the second card for my DH at a later time or if I need to decide if we need it at the time I purchase mine? I'm pretty sure it will be easy enough for me to be present everytime we use it, but I'm wondering if it turns into a hassle if we can get the $50 additional card on a later trip.

For us it is unquestionably worth it, but we eat dinner primarily at signature restaurants and there is always wine or beer flowing. We find we usually make the $150 back after about 4 or 5 signature meals. I wouldn't think it would be worth it to get an additional card as the break even point would be an additional $250 spent. If you anticipate not being together on a trip I'd just get it in whosever name is likely to use it the most.

I wouldn't think it would be worth it to get an additional card as the break even point would be an additional $250 spent. If you anticipate not being together on a trip I'd just get it in whosever name is likely to use it the most.

Admittedly, math is not my strong suit (English prof here :rotfl:), but how is it an extra $250 to break even after spending $50 more for the extra card?

Admittedly, math is not my strong suit (English prof here :rotfl:), but how is it an extra $250 to break even after spending $50 more for the extra card?

To get the $50 back you put into the second card it would take 20% off of $250 to hit $50 aka the break even point. Break even on a regular card (presuming you can get it for $150 as an annual pass holder or DVC member) is spending $750. So if you get the first card and a second, you wouldn't start "saving" money until you'd spent $1000.

To get the $50 back you put into the second card it would take 20% off of $250 to hit $50 aka the break even point. Break even on a regular card (presuming you can get it for $150 as an annual pass holder or DVC member) is spending $750. So if you get the first card and a second, you wouldn't start "saving" money until you'd spent $1000.

Actually, you can pretty much double those amounts, because as a DVC member or AP holder, you'd get a 10% discount at nearly all restaurants that accept TiW. So, you'd have to spend about $1500 for one card, and $2000 for the spouse card to make it worthwhile.

The easy math is if you don't have an AP card, it takes about $750 in spending for food and alcohol (Including drinks at many lounges) to break even. Remember, an 18% tip is automatically added.
If you have an AP card, you would have 10% off at many restaurants, but no alcohol discount. It takes about $1250-$1500 to break even because it is a discount above and beyond the 10% you would have with the AP card. For some os us, we easily hit those targets and save, others don't.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy the second card for my DH at a later time or if I need to decide if we need it at the time I purchase mine? I'm pretty sure it will be easy enough for me to be present everytime we use it, but I'm wondering if it turns into a hassle if we can get the $50 additional card on a later trip.
You need to display the card at the meal to get the discount. I have purchased the card, but my wife has used it when she and our daughter were at WDW.
So unless you are threre at the same time eating at different restaurants at the same time, you should not need 2 cards.

You need to display the card at the meal to get the discount. I have purchased the card, but my wife has used it when she and our daughter were at WDW.
So unless you are threre at the same time eating at different restaurants at the same time, you should not need 2 cards.
Has that happened a lot? I'm quite surprised they let you do that if so.
They have always required me (the card is in my name) to be there with my ID. This is something they are usually VERY strict on.
I would hesitate to count on that regularly. I think your family has gotten lucky

Actually, you can pretty much double those amounts, because as a DVC member or AP holder, you'd get a 10% discount at nearly all restaurants that accept TiW. So, you'd have to spend about $1500 for one card, and $2000 for the spouse card to make it worthwhile.
That's assuming you don't have an affinity for excellent bottles of wine. The 10% on food only doesn't come anywhere near half of what we save using the 20% TIW on food and wine.

DH and I saved about $60 using TIW for dinner at STK. A 10% discount on food only would have been about $10. You really have to do the math using your particular circumstances.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter