Is the Dining Plan worth it? Is there a better way?

Do the Disney dining Plan?

• Yes

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 65 73.0%

• Total voters
We generally break even on the dining plan, for us we like it, because we don't have to think about money while on vacation, aside from tipping of course (how I miss the tips being included, oh well).

When I'm planning at home it sounds great. But in reality we were just not that hungry. I didn't finish everything at each meal, and honestly, it just didn't feel right to me to order food when I wasn't hungry, but well you know you got this ADR planned for all these times that you pre-planned to be hungry then, and if you don't show up it's a no show fee. I felt kind of like a jerk leaving food to get thrown away. ( I hope at least some pigs got it). In the future I will only make the couple ADRs that are hard to get, and then when I get there I will make them when I need them, or (gasp) walk in and wait without an ADR. By observing people walking in, and by our own experience with walking in on the portion of the trip we didn't have ADRs, it was no biggie, and so without the DP and all those ADRs it's freedom.
Also, if you use all the credit for each meal and your not that hungry, your basically just upping your bill with a dessert or drink you don't want to 'get the most out of your plan' and then you get to pay a bigger tip too.
I'm sick of fighting with kids to eat because we have to. From now on we'll eat when we actually want to and I don't have to look past the appetizer part, which is where the stuff I really want is, but because I don't want to buy a plan with even more food than I want to eat, I can't pick those or I won't be able to eat the food I need to order for the plan.
For my future Disney enjoyment, there is no way I'm buying it, and picking a discount whenever possible over it.
I've had it twice, once on free dining, and once when I shouldn't have upgraded from the deal they were giving. I do like the quick serve only plan a little, or even better when they give you one meal, for a value if that is what they're offering, and would not pay to upgrade.
There are countless cupcakes down there I wanted to try but couldn't because I was just too darn full all the time!
It was kind of rediculous to watch one couple at the gift shop trying to spend 40 snack credits, some converted, to buy overpriced junk snacks. Not sure how that was a good deal.

I've never done the dining plan before but I'm trying it this time for my party of 3 adults. I decided to go with it because my son (23) and husband are big eaters, always get dessert, always order a drink. I haven't used the spreadsheet yet to put in my hypotheticals but I think at least on them I'm going to break even. Mine will be the one I'm not sure of. I usually do get dessert, but tend to order a pasta or chicken dish (the cheaper meal). I also don't drink. I'll probably order the drink and give to my son or husband and I'll have water.

It was kind of rediculous to watch one couple at the gift shop trying to spend 40 snack credits, some converted, to buy overpriced junk snacks. Not sure how that was a good deal.
We actually did this the last time we were there and had a ton of fun doing it. We had 5 adults on free dining (huge savings) and yes we had snack credits left and bought lots of "overpriced" snacks to bring home. It was awesome. Gave them as souvenirs to my nieces and nephews and they loved them. Saved me a bunch of money. Just saying not necessarily ridiculous to some.

We actually did this the last time we were there and had a ton of fun doing it. We had 5 adults on free dining (huge savings) and yes we had snack credits left and bought lots of "overpriced" snacks to bring home. It was awesome. Gave them as souvenirs to my nieces and nephews and they loved them. Saved me a bunch of money. Just saying not necessarily ridiculous to some.

I completely agree with you and although 40 snack credits is a lot and I am guessing they didn't educate them self on the plan to begin with and someone mentioned it to them at the very end but we do the same with our left over credits also. We like to go to make customize rice krispy treats that we make for our friends as a personal touch. They love them and always ask for more.

the dining plan was a better deal when it first came out. We used it a couple of times, but find now that paying OOP is cheaper. Unless you nab free-dining - then its a great deal! :)

I think it just depends on your family and the experience you'd like to have.

I'm getting the DxDDP for the first time for an adult only trip with my mother this fall and we really like how we've been able to plan for a lot of signatures that we don't do with the entire family. We also don't have to worry about maximizing park time when we don't have the kids. We can skip all of the toddler stuff, hit the attractions we want, and spend the rest of the time relaxing and enjoying nice meals together multiple times each day.

We try to go in September for free dining (regular DDP) with the whole family and everyone likes being able to order whatever they like without having to worry about price. It's more about convenience to us with the family and 1 sit down meal (usually character dinner or buffet) per day is a nice break for the kids too.

It's certainly not for everyone but I can't imagine being in Disney World without it since I'm so used to using it now.

Where do you do that?

Disney Springs at the Goofy Candy store. One snack credit for a customer Rice Krispy treat or Marshmellow tail. I can't remember if a candy apple was or not. We had 1 QS left and couldn't use it at all so we got 3. They have so many design chooses. You can give them the order form and come back and pick it up.

Does anyone know if you have 1 extra DxDDP credit could two of you go in and order one app, one entree, and one dessert and just split everything or will this be frowned upon?

Does anyone know if you have 1 extra DxDDP credit could two of you go in and order one app, one entree, and one dessert and just split everything or will this be frowned upon?

I'm sure others will have an exact answer for you but I'm almost certain that as long as it's not a buffet or family style meal that there shouldn't be any issue with that.

We had free dining in 2007 when it was free and included an appetizer as well (if memory serves). It was way too much food. We end up with 20-30 leftover snack credits after converting our QS. In 2009 we did not do the dining plan. We skipped it on our third trip as well. We are passing on our trip in just over 2 weeks.

The dining plan doesn't work for us because it forces us to eat in a way thats not preferable. We love appetizers/small plates. We enjoy a salad. We share an entree. Rarely would we order two desserts. And we drink more than one glass of wine/cocktail with dinner. Plus when I want to snack, I don't want to be limited with what is only included on the plan. Of course I could pay for things off the plan in addition to getting the plan but then it sort of defeats the purpose and takes away the value.

But if it works for you, wonderful! I can see how it is a value for many.

It really makes a difference how your family eats or views prices. For my husband and son, our trip would be miserable without a dining plan. No matter how many gift cards we would gather, or save money to spend once there, my husband would look like a deer in the headlights and only order a water. He would make our family split 2 meals only once a day. He is much more relaxed knowing its all paid for. I know many people would rather not have DDP, but without it, my husband would be telling the younger kids no to any snack they asked for.

We've done the regular plan and at least broken even when my teenaged niece and son went along with my husband and I. Those kids could put away food! I had no intention to order it with my daughter, 80 yo MIL, 1 yo grandson and myself. At the last minute I changed my mind. My MIL just wouldn't have eaten, and she'd have complained about the prices to anyone who would listen. She's vacationed with us enough for me to know. So at the last minute I ordered the dining plan! She enjoyed herself thoroughly and I've never seen someone eat so much ice cream in my life! I just told her it was all inclusive!

Making plans to start making ADRs Wednesday for a January trip with my DH and 3 yo GS and even though I have sworn off the Dining Plan I'm seriously considering adding the DxDP.
I have character meals planned for each day and figured I'd throw in brunch at CG to make it worth my while! Also, as much as my husband doesn't mind paying for fine dining, he's liable to have an absolute stroke paying a couple of hundred dollars for a buffet. (I'll just tell him it's all inclusive :D)

I haven't decided for sure yet!

We do this all of the time. No problem at all. Many times the chef will split the meal in the kitchen for you.

It really makes a difference how your family eats or views prices. For my husband and son, our trip would be miserable without a dining plan. No matter how many gift cards we would gather, or save money to spend once there, my husband would look like a deer in the headlights and only order a water. He would make our family split 2 meals only once a day. He is much more relaxed knowing its all paid for. I know many people would rather not have DDP, but without it, my husband would be telling the younger kids no to any snack they asked for.

Oh my gosh, this is us! We would eat, but it would be no fun after the first two days. My DH would be cringing every time we had a meal, and I could not stop looking at the prices! I have gone with no plan before and I felt like I was bleeding money at every meal. In all fairness, we do tend to dine like the oplan is set up to dine, so it is not difficult for us to make it work to our advantage.

We’ve used the DDP and it completely works for us while the kids are young. We use a snack credit each for breakfast (cereal with milk for the kids), character table service for lunch and then our quick service for a light dinner. We also let the kids pick out a snack at the parks when they want without worrying about prices. This works best for us because we like to get to the parks fairly early and then sit down for a nice air conditioned lunch to take a break. Then we hang out a little longer before heading back to the hotel for pool time and to rest. Then a quick dinner at the CS place at our resort or Disney Springs. And I’m going to be honest, if I paid OOP at all those character meals I’d have a panic attack by the end of the week. It wouldn’t matter if we saved up and had the the money there just for that. $200 for a buffet is crazy expensive and I’d start canceling reservations left and right! Lol!

And I’m going to be honest, if I paid OOP at all those character meals I’d have a panic attack by the end of the week. It wouldn’t matter if we saved up and had the the money there just for that. $200 for a buffet is crazy expensive and I’d start canceling reservations left and right! Lol!
This is me to a TEE! My DD and I went once and we budgeted $1000 for food (which was enough) but as soon as we got to $500 left, I spent the last half of my vacation worried about money and looking at every price on every menu and cancelling ADR's because of worry. (That's just my way)
The DDP works for me because it makes my vacation relaxing to do "all-inclusive" (as a PP called it)!! But others would hate having spent a penny more than necessary, and still others would feel they have to eat too much to get the value.
The best way to judge whether the DDP is right for you is to figure out what makes your vacation the most magical! :love:

The best way to judge whether the DDP is right for you is to figure out what makes your vacation the most magical! :love:

Exactly! I get frustrated when some make an arbitrary decision that the DDP is either a no brainer for a family, or a colossal waste of money, and have not even asked any questions to see how they tour, the family dynamic, and what meals they want to enjoy. And to declare that someone is wasting money because they plan differently is also disrespectful. We all know our own mindset, and no gift card is going to help me order a meal after I see the price. My GC will probably have a lot left when I get home and I would have denied myself all those luscious desserts! And Venti Starbucks with extra shots.....and funnel cakes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts