Is the Grand Californian Club Level worth it for family w/ toddler?

bswb97

Earning My Ears
We are splurging on our first vacation in a few years by going with the Grand Californian. Some of the packages through Costco and other sites come with the Club Level service in there. From what I can tell, it's not added at much of a discount (essentially $400/night, which seems to be the same as if you book through Disney).

Our toddler is feisty, so on the one hand, Club Level access sounded convenient for snacks and stuff. On the other hand, $400/night seems like a LOT to pay for what is essentially continental breakfast and a few snacks throughout the day. We would likely be at the park during the tea time and app/wine time, so that doesn't apply. Also, we are flying solo, no family or friend help, so we wouldn't be able to enjoy the free wine/beer much.

Does the convenience seem like a good idea for our situation? Or are we better off just budgeting that for meals in Downtown Disney or going out locally?

I think it's going to be different for everyone, maybe the luxury of having snacks and beverages right outside your room would be a welcome addition to your and your partner's trip. I know when we stayed at club level rooms, the food and drinks you get are not equivalent to the price you pay, but it's the convenience and maybe the feel that you are at a luxury level type location with someone there to serve your needs. If your toddler is feisty, it may not be that easy to get something to eat at downtown disney, even though you are only a few minutes walk outside your room. Also not sure when you are going, if the weather doesn't cooperate, then you don't have to dress up to go out.

I'd say, if this is your first trip, skip it, save the money for other experiences (i.e. character dining at the hotels). If this is your XXX number trip, sure why not, I'm sure you two deserved to be pampered, even if you are over paying.

Thanks so much! What is the quality of food like for this service? Because we planned to bring half of Costco with us for snacks and drinks on our trip anyway, so if it's essentially redundant to that, maybe it's not worth it.

Also, can I ask tangential questions on this thread or should I save those for another thread?

If you are going in a few years, you won't have a toddler, you will have a school aged child. They do calm down a bit.

Frequent visitor to Grand Californian (2-3 times per year) I would say no to club level. Rooms are EXACTLY the same and are just in a higher floor.

All have refrigerators. The snacks are not worth the extra cost. There is a store where you can buy some basics to keep in the room. You can also have groceries delivered from Vons.com or Amazon. If you have access to a car, there is a Target down the street.

Save the money and spend it on something more fun. Happy to answer any DL or GCH (or SOCAL). SOCAL native and DL regular for 35 years.

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is considering Club Level at the Contemporary with a toddler, and you have a Bay View Room, I would argue that it is worth it to watch the fireworks from the club lounge with your little one already in PJs and ready for bed, it's great. It's like having a fireworks dessert party every night.

Not the Grand Californian, but we stayed CL at Wilderness Lodge with our then-18 month old in May. I specifically booked CL because I have a toddler. Having a good breakfast just down the hall was great. We ate dinner there most nights as well. We found that doing rope drop-4 pm in the parks was enough for our son. He was pretty ready to go by then. After he was in bed, DH and I took turns going to the lounge for the evening treats.

We did also have a bonus in that we had a fireworks view from our room.

For us, I'd say the upgrade was worth it. But each family has to make that decision for themselves.

We did club level for one trip (at WDW). The upcharge was about $200 per night for the room. For our family (2 adults, 2 kids) it was not worth it. We did not get $200 per day of value out of the club experience. But, we are not big drinkers (maybe 1 glass of wine each day for adults and a bottle of water each for the kids). We also spent most of every day in the parks so we missed a lot of available snacks as the lounge was closed when we returned each night. What I did like was the fact that in the morning while I was finishing getting ready for the day, the other adult could take the kids to the lounge for breakfast. So, we did it once but never again. If it was less expensive I would do it again....but I just can't justify it. Instead, we use that money to buy extra drinks and snacks for the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter