Is the Muppet 3D movie theater closing?

I think muppet 3d was a good experience but, I think it is going to be replaced. I would hope they would do something else with mama Melrose. I am not a fan..

Keep the pre-show mostly intact (since it was the last project Jim Henson worked on before his death) and update the rest. I wouldn’t object to never seeing Waldo the Spirit of 3D ever again.

Personally, I’d love if they did a classic Muppet Show with multiple segments that followed a main story for the attraction, they could even pull a Star Tours and have randomized bits that would encourage multiple visits. Pretty sure they have the rights to the original theme song too.

I agree. I enjoy the Muppets and the show is ok but it just feels very dated and needs a fresh update. I love the idea of a mini-Muppet Show with randomized segments. Maybe a set opening and grand finale (maybe something like Rainbow connection in the movie).

I agree. I enjoy the Muppets and the show is ok but it just feels very dated and needs a fresh update. I love the idea of a mini-Muppet Show with randomized segments. Maybe a set opening and grand finale (maybe something like Rainbow connection in the movie).

Yeah, I would like to see updates but I want it to still be The Muppets. I like the idea of some randomized sketches in The Muppet Show style to encourage multiple viewings. They should still use some in-theater effects though.

Definitely still have in theatre effects and animatronics. I feel like those are the best parts of the current show with Statler and Waldorf in their box, Sweetums walking around the theatre, and especially the Swedish Chef firing the cannon and "destroying" the theatre. I think that makes it feel a lot more immersive versus just a video on the screen and more like an attraction than a movie.

I mentioned to a Cast Member that it sure would be good if Star Tours could be enveloped by GE. (Muppets ARE kind of in the way).
She smiled and say “That could happen”.

I mentioned to a Cast Member that it sure would be good if Star Tours could be enveloped by GE. (Muppets ARE kind of in the way).
She smiled and say “That could happen”.

The problem is that Star Tours is SO different form Galaxy's Edge. In GE you are supposed to really be on that planet and everything is a put-on. Star Tours is more like an immersive movie, with music and the time period can vary depending on the show. They just don't mesh that well. I say keep Star Tours as is, or if anything drop a little of the intense show at GE.

Actually a 3D Pigs in Space mini spoof on Star Tours would be fun.
Link Heartthrob: "Whhhhatt... you think the whole theater is going to shake like some theme park ride?!"
ACTUALLY....
At Epcot, the Imagination Pavilion provides space for a dark ride, a theater attraction, and a possible play area. This would allow a smooth move for MuppetVision 3D. The movie attraction previously was also found at Disney’s California Adventure, with that version closing 2014 after a thirteen-year run. The theater at the Imagination Pavilion would need some basic updates to screen the movie, though it would be far less expensive than a brand new attraction.
Hmmm...
Muppets in the Captain EO theater with 4D effects...I like it....no....
I LOVE IT!!

The only question is, can the Muppets save the Imagination ride?

I love the Muppets 3D but at this point, in 2020, I also feel sorry for it. If the Muppets are relevant again because of Disney+, I think it would be awesome to revitalize them in the parks. Making a Muppets Lab in which they "create" Figment, as a figment of their own imagination, can actually pay a nice tribute to 2 absolute classics and even create a new one. Who knows?! The ride could be really bonkers. However, I just cringe a little when I hear "if they extend Galaxy's Edge...". I think they need to wait a bit until they put even more money into GE. Otherwise we end up with the same old Disney "tradition": lands and rides that were never built. (I'm looking at you, proper Indiana Jones attraction)

Last edited:
I love the Muppets 3D but at this point, in 2020, I also feel sorry for it. If the Muppets are relevant again because of Disney+, I think it would be awesome to revitalize them in the parks. Making a Muppets Lab in which they "create" Figment, as a figment of their own imagination, can actually pay a nice tribute to 2 absolute classics and even create a new one. Who knows?! The ride could be really bonkers. However, I just cringe a little when I hear "if they extend Galaxy's Edge...". I think they need to wait a bit until they put even more money into GE. Otherwise we end up with the same old Disney "tradition": lands and rides that were never built. (I'm looking at you, proper Indiana Jones attraction)

since Henson sold the muppets franchise hasn’t been the same. I love my muppets though. Dark crystal tv showed muppet technology can still work. I know there were plans for a muppets Disney+ show that didn’t happen.

even if Disney now owns then they should still get Henson productions to do a new show...and if muppets 3d is redone let them help create it. Brian and Lisa Henson know the property better then anybody.

Why isn’t this attraction redone by now? I mean it’s nice that you can too experience it with your kids but why not a refresher every 10 years or so...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts