Is the Muppet 3D movie theater closing?

Not to interrupt a good p!$$#ng match but I too feel the sun has set on The Muppets. I even wonder if Disney would acquire the IP today. As far as the courtyard, what would you even do with it. It roughly the size of Indy. Maybe smaller. My wild guess would be if ST is moved or demo'd down the road, you could combine The Muppets Courtyard and the area of ST, Backlot Express/ even maybe Indy area to create a new land. my 2 cents

I understand their Muppet Babies use of the IP is popular right now, though I don't know to what degree. They could always try a different type of attraction with Muppets as the IP.

I even like the Muppets and I've never visited Muppet 3D at DHS because even if I wanted another theater+video show, the 3D is a complete turn-off. Not to offend anyone who likes the theater video shows (Philharmagic, etc.) but they don't seem to draw big crowds at any of the Disney parks. Frozen Sing-Along is comparatively popular probably due to that IP, but also there being live actors, and kids loving sing-alongs.

They definitely aren't going to keep Muppets around because of "Muppet Babies". Basing any attractions off of TV success is doomed to fail. Remember "Who wants to be a Million?" or "Doug Live"? Television cartoons and shows have a short shelf life, much like most live action movies. Stupid Universal will learn that when Jimmy Fallon is old and retired. Heck they should have already with "Fear Factor".

Last edited:
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire had a five year run at DHS. Not bad at all. There's nothing wrong with having attractions based currently popular properties outside of the theme park world.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire had a five year run at DHS. Not bad at all. There's nothing wrong with having attractions based currently popular properties outside of the theme park world.

5 years is nothing, Universal seems into changing over their attractions every 10 to 20 years. But Disney is different, they wants things that will last a very long time and they wont have to overhaul. I can't think of any Television shows or Television cartoons that deserve an attraction or land. Except maybe "The Simpsons" and even that has seen its better days.

Disney does it right... usually. Look at Snow White for instance, it has been around for over 80 years and still is relevant to park goers.

I think it is more important to get rid of the Indy show. It has been the same dried up turd since it debuted.

I was actually thinking of this randomly today. I look forward to DHS in a decade when it's finally "finished" where it'll Have SWGE, TSL, Cars Land, Monsters Land and Some other Property Land. I doubt that it's an Indiana Jones unless whatever reboot they're planning actually takes off. Crystal Skull essentially tanked the property in the short term. Does anyone under 30 have a relationship with the franchise? I mean I love Indiana Jones, Last Crusade is one of my favorites but I don't know if you can make a whole land out of it AND it being popular to the majority of people.

Even Monsters Inc Land is probably iffy at best if you want my opinion.

I was actually thinking of this randomly today. I look forward to DHS in a decade when it's finally "finished" where it'll Have SWGE, TSL, Cars Land, Monsters Land and Some other Property Land. I doubt that it's an Indiana Jones unless whatever reboot they're planning actually takes off. Crystal Skull essentially tanked the property in the short term. Does anyone under 30 have a relationship with the franchise? I mean I love Indiana Jones, Last Crusade is one of my favorites but I don't know if you can make a whole land out of it AND it being popular to the majority of people.

Even Monsters Inc Land is probably iffy at best if you want my opinion.

Crystal Skull made almost $800 million (nearly a billion after inflation) on a $185 Million budget. It was very profitable. And general audience reception was also great. Even if the overall film was somewhat lacking compared to the others, it most certainly did not tank the franchise. But it's a property better fit to augment an existing land than carry a land on its own. It belongs in Adventureland or a World Showcase pavilion (or a museum).

I've been hearing that "Tony's Grossery" and "Harryhausen's" could be used in the land.

Last edited:
I've heard from a family member that all three restaurant or bar locations will get a complete makeovers. "Harryhausens" and "Hidden City Café" will take the places of "Mama Melrose" and "Baseline". There's no word on what the quick service will be, but it looks like it will remain a pizza place. It's being kicked around that it could be Monsters University themed.

I heard that they are going to have only 2 attractions in this section of the park. One is Monsters Laugh Floor, the other is still being discussed. They are deciding between going big or remaining small. It will probably be related to the door scenes in the movie. Where the riders would go through alternate bedrooms and even a snowy area. Photo op statues will also be placed throughout the section in humorous situations like Tony of "Tony's Grossery" and a large monster foot.

Last edited:
So Disney is basing park IPs on the popularity of movies now? It's a good thing that they apparently plan to overlook the Fab Five then because we might end with anything in the Chinese theater then. (Likely Elsa.)

I do agree that DHS is not a full day park for most visitors who go often. However isn't Disney said to be aiming primarily at the one-time visitor? Wouldn't they probably check out everything?

I do agree that DHS is not a full day park for most visitors who go often. However isn't Disney said to be aiming primarily at the one-time visitor? Wouldn't they probably check out everything?

I think they want everyone's money, new and old visitors. I'm surprised they don't hold people upside down at the front gates. They could have that weird giant from the Muppets do it. Since he'll probably be out of a job soon.

I don't think they actually want to deter annual visitors though. I just think they want to get people to spend as much as possible. That's why there is always a food festival going on. 8 dollar snacks and 18 dollar drinks makes the big cheese happy.

Last edited:
It's okay, but I can't stand the 3d character they threw into the movie. He looks like he should be on a low budget PBS show from the 80's, not the Muppets.

I don't care how he looks, he is annoying, though I believe that was the point actually.

So Disney is basing park IPs on the popularity of movies now? It's a good thing that they apparently plan to overlook the Fab Five then because we might end with anything in the Chinese theater then. (Likely Elsa.)

I think it's almost obvious that the long term plan with DHS is to make the Hollywood streets and backlot theming to be the new "Main Street" and hub of the park while movie property lands surround it.

Just think which movie properties Disney owns and guess which ones theyll make lands out of. Florida would have a marvel land already if it wasn't for those universal agreements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!