Is there a DVC off season anymore?

Just based on the way DVC works, there has to be increased demand in some areas and low demand in other areas. There are exactly enough points in existence to fill every room for the year, no more, no less. It is not possible for there be high demand in all places at all times.

In theory, the difference in demand could just be between resorts or room types, but I think that clearly Sept/Oct-Dec/Jan still high season at DVC, which means there has to be an off season somewhere.

Just based on the way DVC works, there has to be increased demand in some areas and low demand in other areas. There are exactly enough points in existence to fill every room for the year, no more, no less. It is not possible for there be high demand in all places at all times.

In theory, the difference in demand could just be between resorts or room types, but I think that clearly Sept/Oct-Dec/Jan still high season at DVC, which means there has to be an off season somewhere.
While it's true that DVC is designed to be at or near 100% occupancy every night of the year, the resorts are reaching that 100% much more quickly than they have in the past. When posters talk about DVC busy seasons, they are really talking about how far in advance (or how quickly) the resorts fill up. IMO, more members are booking farther in advance than they have in the past.

In other words, it's a lot more "SNOOZE, YOU LOSE" now than it ever used to be.

Last edited:
Been DVC Member for 18 years. Have always booked when 11 month window opens. Only been able to switch at 7 month point once in all these years.

I rarely have trouble getting something I really like (even if not my first choice) as long as I plan at least 7 months ahead, avoid peak season, and am slightly flexible with my dates and room type. I have had good luck with wait lists as well. I rarely stay at my home resort (OKW), although I have often held a reservation there until my wait list came through. I have stayed at VGC more than any other resort (once via wait list while holding a reservation at a non Disney local hotel). I have stayed at BCV for Flower and Garden. I have stayed at BLT a few times, I like staying at BLT if going for the Halloween Party. I have stayed at BWV at least once. I think that the advantage of both BWV and BCV have lost some of their appeal (to me) now that the back entrance to Epcot will be significantly more crowded. I did have to stay at SSR one year during Christmas, because I did not plan far enough ahead, but I enjoyed being able to easily walk to Downtown Disney, so would stay at SSR again for that reason. For my upcoming trip I will be doing a split, first night at BLT and next 5 nights at AKV. I suspect if I had wait-listed that first night at AKV it would have come through, but we decided it would be nice to see the fireworks from BLT on our first night. So the key is flexibility. I hate making phone calls, so I use the online tool more often than I use the phone call.

I feel like there is NO OFF time anymore. I don't mind staying at SSR/OKW and I can always get in there with less than 7 months. I just booked OKW last week we are 6 months out this Friday. However if you want to stay at some of the other DVC resorts...then yes it is much harder than in previous years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter