Is there a good kind of dry soup mix?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
im making a box of stuff to send to someone who is going thru a rough financial time. Can someone recommend a GOOD brand of dry soup mix?

The best ones I've seen aren't really any kind of national name brand, but at specialty markets that kind of mix dry ingredients in a bag to be cooked.

Have you ever tried Tastefully Simple? It was originally home party thing but now items can be purchased from their website. It's a little more mone than things at the grocery store but I love everything I've tried. The potato cheddar soup and beer bread makes a nice meal. I make almond cake from scratch and my husband likes Tastefully Simple box mix just as much as mine.

Lipton is a classic go to brand for dry soup, but Bear Creek is also good. You have far more variety with Bear Creek in my experience.

DH loves the Lipton Chicken Noodle or just their Noodle soups. I think they're fine.

Our absolute favourite soup mix is Buckeye Beans Chicken & Thyme Soup. It is healthy, filling, delicious, and free of additives/chemicals. However, while the soup mix comes with the grains/lentils and a seasoning packet, it does not include the onion or the raw chicken (or chicken broth, if using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, though it would be easy enough to include a jar of Better than Bouillon Chicken in with the other items so that the recipient can make as much chicken broth as they need.) Carrots or celery could be added to enrich it even further. I am going to say that I am not sure what retail locations carry this brand. I have seen it online, but I purchase my boxes in the food section of Home Goods/Marshalls when I can find them there.

Our "everyday" soup mix that I whip up for the kids and I for lunches is Lipton Ring Noodle. I make dumplings from an egg, salt, milk, and flour and drop them into the soup to make it more filling.

I'll second Mrs. Grass' chicken noodle (extra noodle version). That's our go-to soup for something easy when one of the kids is sick.

Started thinking about it, and there are some nationally distributed brands of soup mixes. They're not just reconstituted with hot water like Lipton, but need to be simmered. Bob's Red Mill is mostly about grain and flour, but they also have soup mixes.

1510c284_vegisoup_f_1800.jpg

I was imagining some markets with bulk food sections where they're prepared a mix that needs a little bit of cooking. Something like this:

2fb71-imag1251-scaled-1000.jpg

Also - I've seen Kikkoman miso soup in dry packets. It's not really anything filling, but it's actually quite good and similar to the miso prepared in Japanese restaurants.

519viF2shPL.jpg

Thank you all SO MUCH! I hadn't thought about it but I guess I've never bought a dry soup mix!! I appreciate your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter