Is there any benefit to buying Direct DVC if Florida Resident?

Jaydee51

Mouseketeer
Struggling trying justify buying direct DVC (100 pts for the blue card by tomorrow) since I'm a Florida resident and already get most discounts/benefits. The only perk I can think of is moonlight magic and that's not happening any time soon (nor guaranteed). Anything else i should factor in?
Your feedback is appreciated.

The only benefit right now that is a big saver is the AP. But you already get that.

The other piece for direct points would be the ability to use at RIV and any future resorts, If that doesn’t matter to you, the I am not sure there is really a reason I can think of to spend the extra money.

The only benefit right now that is a big saver is the AP. But you already get that.

The other piece for direct points would be the ability to use at RIV and any future resorts, If that doesn’t matter to you, the I am not sure there is really a reason I can think of to spend the extra money.
correct, don't care for Riviera.

I am going to add a 2nd home resort for sure, but spending the extra money 💰 to buy direct does not seem justifiable.

There's a discount on stuff like golf and tours and spas, if that stuff ever exists again.

There used to be some one off events, like a wine tasting or painting class. But those were always rare and booked solid, and the recent trend even before Covid has been less, not more perks.

This is exactly how my husband changed my mind about buying direct. We are hoping to move to Florida after my daughter graduates from college. I was all set to buy 100 points direct, and I told him it was for the AP discount. Smarty pants pointed out to me we can get the discount when we moved, and wouldn't it make more sense to buy more points for less money. :oops: Twist my arm and make me buy more points.

Struggling trying justify buying direct DVC (100 pts for the blue card by tomorrow) since I'm a Florida resident and already get most discounts/benefits. The only perk I can think of is moonlight magic and that's not happening any time soon (nor guaranteed). Anything else i should factor in?
Your feedback is appreciated.
If you are lucky enough to be a Florida resident I definitely would not bother with direct. Moonlight madness is not worth thousands of dollars! You can pay for a few after hours events if you really want a similar event.

I joke about the purple light but I have a story about it from years ago. I wasn’t even aware it was thing and so when my daughter picked up on it:

Gathered around turnstile…
Daughter: “Why does it turn purple when you go through?”
Me: “I don’t know…doesn’t it do that all the time?”
Wife: “No, she’s right it just turns green for us when we go through a turnstile”
Random bystanders: “Yeah, I haven’t seen that either”
CM: “It turns purple to show he’s a DVC member…welcome home!”
All the kids: “Oooo-aaaah”
Wife: *Looks annoyed at me*

From then on all the kids would go through first and then watch me go through and turn it purple lol.

I joke about the purple light but I have a story about it from years ago. I wasn’t even aware it was thing and so when my daughter picked up on it:

Wife: “No, she’s right it just turns green for us when we go through a turnstile”

From then on all the kids would go through first and then watch me go through and turn it purple lol.
Mine turns pink not purple, which is weird, and dh’s doesn’t do anything even though he is #1 on the deeds. No one has ever commented on or noticed my pink entry (except dh who is like wt?), not even a cast member. 😐

That's actually pretty darn cool!

I thought of one more consideration...
Would Direct be worth if the contract comes with all the 2020 points (no maintenance cost) and i would have access to those points right away (i can travel asap)?
Disclaimers: i don't exactly what "right away" means but rep said a few days

I thought of one more consideration...
Would Direct be worth if the contract comes with all the 2020 points (no maintenance cost) and i would have access to those points right away (i can travel asap)?
Disclaimers: i don't exactly what "right away" means but rep said a few days
That is tempting. Are you sure you won’t have to pay anything for the 2020 points? ROFR is taking a long time right now which is off-putting.

That is tempting. Are you sure you won’t have to pay anything for the 2020 points? ROFR is taking a long time right now which is off-putting.

I asked this question twice and was told no dues b/c already paid. I was already planning short trips for last week of November and new years and don't think i'll have my resale points available by then (nor would there be availability if i wait that long).
if i offset some of the cost could be a little more viable. it's just so darn hard to quantify properly.

I'm white card, and I thought it was broken when it was pink!!!! Can't wait to show that one off to everyone if I ever get to go back.

And now I'm in some kind of rabbit hole about 6 year old magic bands making special colors on the turnstile...

I asked this question twice and was told no dues b/c already paid. I was already planning short trips for last week of November and new years and don't think i'll have my resale points available by then (nor would there be availability if i wait that long).
if i offset some of the cost could be a little more viable. it's just so darn hard to quantify properly.

The reason you don’t owe any dues is before it’s based on date of ownership, not on what points are there,

If you sign today, then you only pay 2020 dues from today on. Even if it includes 2019 points if you are getting a Dec UY.

If you can find value in that extra set of points, then it may make the extra price less important.

For example, 100 SSR is about $6500 more than resale. So, if saving points for later helps down the road, it could be worth it.

For cost alone, since you are Florida resident, you should do resale, but I might go ahead and do direct if you get free extra points. We have one direct contract because we are not Florida residents and we had to pay dues on the “extra”/current year points they gave us. So you are getting a deal! Also, ROFR takes FOREVER. We are in it right now. But- either way, you can’t lose. One just takes longer. You could probably rent points very cheaply if you want to buy resale and visit wdw in the meantime. I think there are a lot of people trying to rent out points. Tough decision.

Just do the math-what would the trips you have planned cost you? Subtract that from direct cost and see how you feel about what you are paying. If you typically do last minute trips, then buy the cheapest resort available-don’t let them pressure you into one you don’t want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter