Is there any chance that SWGE will be open 24 hours?

FastPass Dad

Mouseketeer
I don't know how crazy that idea is or what the likelihood of it is but it might be a good way to manage the crowds in the opening weeks/months. Maybe go so far as selling an AM and PM ticket with each being 12 hours.

If they wanted to do that, I think they would definitely go for hard ticket hours before and after the standard park hours. It would cost more to keep the park staffed and running those hours, plus people would likely see it as an "extra", both of which are reasons for Disney to charge a pretty penny for it. But I am absolutely sure people would buy up every one of those tickets.

I don't know that they'd really go for a full 24 hours, but I could see them adding 2 groups of times.....maybe 10/11pm to 2 am, and then maybe 5/6am to 9am. That would add between 6-8 hours of guest time to the park every day. Not quite 24 hours, but enough to get a decent number of guests through the park. And they wouldn't need to give a single extra thing to go with it...no included meals or snacks or anything. Plenty of people would pay just to be admitted.

I don't know how crazy that idea is or what the likelihood of it is but it might be a good way to manage the crowds in the opening weeks/months. Maybe go so far as selling an AM and PM ticket with each being 12 hours.

I would say it's more likely that a repeat of the early days of Pandora, when AK was open until 1:00 a.m. (although not all rides).

Not necessarily disputing, but how was it a disaster?
Disneyland closed to capacity at 2/3pm that day and didn’t reopen till about 12 hours later. People were not leaving the park. Parking around resort was completely full including the cast member parking that became guest parking. Security lines spilled out completely on to harbor and DTD (before they moved the security tents). The area in the esplanade was completely roped off with no one in it except for people leaving the parks to leave or those leaving Disneyland for DCA.

Disneyland closed to capacity at 2/3pm that day and didn’t reopen till about 12 hours later. People were not leaving the park. Parking around resort was completely full including the cast member parking that became guest parking. Security lines spilled out completely on to harbor and DTD (before they moved the security tents). The area in the esplanade was completely roped off with no one in it except for people leaving the parks to leave or those leaving Disneyland for DCA.

Okay, fair, but in some ways this is no different from Christmas/New Year's; we've been in the park where it's closed at 10:00 a.m., meaning you were going to DCA that day whether you wanted to or not. And I do remember those lines that reached all the way into Downtown Disney.

I’m saying no, rides need some form of daily maintenance and after the disaster that was the last 24 hour event at Disneyland, I’m expecting there to never be a 24 hour event again.
However the WDW 24 hour event went fine so I can't see how that has any bearing whatsoever.

That said, no I do not think it will be open 24 hours. I'd love to do one again though

However the WDW 24 hour event went fine so I can't see how that has any bearing whatsoever.

That said, no I do not think it will be open 24 hours. I'd love to do one again though
Fine, but Disney doesn't like them because operationally they aren't great.

We never seem to be near the park (we're in the PNW) during the 24-hour or Dapper Day events. For Galaxy's Edge, you bet, we'll pull out all the stops, drop everything, and fly down at a moment's notice. But this is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Did Pandora right off the bat? We were there opening day, but for some dumb reason I don't recall. It was definitely nice being open till 1:00 a.m.

Yes, we visited pretty much every day of that summer and stayed until 1:00 a.m. every night. Betting a 24-hour thing highly unlikely, though.

We never seem to be near the park (we're in the PNW) during the 24-hour or Dapper Day events. For Galaxy's Edge, you bet, we'll pull out all the stops, drop everything, and fly down at a moment's notice. But this is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I find this mentality fascinating....because SURE anytime something new opens at the parks there's a limited time when it's the NEW shiny....but it isn't like SWGE is a limited setup. The land will be just as compelling and amazing 2 years from now as it is now. Pandora was just as breathtaking for me last year as it was the first time I saw it 2 years before. Sure, I get the desire to be among the first to experience something, especially something with as much history as SW. Hubby and I are deeply embedded SW fans. We happened to be among those who had already booked August vacations and opening will land smack in the middle of our already-planned trip. But we're on the fence about whether we want to try and experience it NOW, or whether we prefer to wait a few years and go back once things have settled down - not because we aren't HUGE fans, but we don't experience the same urgency others do around being first to see it.

I feel there's something really, really special about being there Opening Day, though. I mean, I know it's no July 17, 1955 but, as a Star Wars fan, it may to me be the next best thing.

I feel there's something really, really special about being there Opening Day, though. I mean, I know it's no July 17, 1955 but, as a Star Wars fan, it may to me be the next best thing.

Absolutely - and I recognize I'm probably in the minority of really hardcore SW fans that just don't have that draw to be there on opening! But we are kind of that way about everything - if it's a limited engagement, yes we'll get a sense of urgency about it, but for just about anything that will be around even for a little while, we are content waiting to enjoy it without the added rush. I plan on visiting and re-visiting GE many times over the next several years, I can't wait to find new things I love about it every visit :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!