Is there free time during BSM to do DL on your own?

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all!

i'm really hoping there's enough interest to get a February 2013 ABD backstage magic going. (remember to email kevin@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com)

anyway, i've been looking over the itinerary and am wondering if there is time to explore disneyland on our own?

i understand that there is a "2-day VIP disneyland experience" which sounds awesome, so maybe we don't need free time. but WITHOUT GIVING ANYTHING AWAY (no spoilers please!!!!) is there free time?

thanks.

Hi all!

i'm really hoping there's enough interest to get a February 2013 ABD backstage magic going. (remember to email kevin@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com)

anyway, i've been looking over the itinerary and am wondering if there is time to explore disneyland on our own?

i understand that there is a "2-day VIP disneyland experience" which sounds awesome, so maybe we don't need free time. but WITHOUT GIVING ANYTHING AWAY (no spoilers please!!!!) is there free time?

thanks.

It's been a couple of years since I was on the BSM trip...so I don't know what has changed if anything about the days at DL. That being said, I seem to remember that we were finished with the group activities by at least early afternoon on the two full days in the park. My group ended up just breaking up into slightly smaller groups to explore the park and regrouped each night to watch WoC.

There is free time while on the BSM trip (we were on the 7/29/12 DIS trip) to see DL/DCA on your own. Basically its one afternoon and perhaps one evening as well. Also the last BSM day is only breakfast and then you are done so you've got the whole day to hit the parks.

However, you still may not think its enough time. Many from our group stayed a couple of days afterwards just to get all they could of the DLR experience.

There is free time while on the BSM trip (we were on the 7/29/12 DIS trip) to see DL/DCA on your own. Basically its one afternoon and perhaps one evening as well. Also the last BSM day is only breakfast and then you are done so you've got the whole day to hit the parks.

However, you still may not think its enough time. Many from our group stayed a couple of days afterwards just to get all they could of the DLR experience.

I would definitely agree that a couple of extra days is the way to go. After my first BSM, I left on the day the adventure was over. I wanted more time in the parks!!! I've learned my lesson and have booked the additional days for my next BSM.

I agree as well. I went on the ABD tour last summer and, although you do get quite a few things done, it is nice to have a few extra days after the tour ends.

Agreed, extra days are the way to go. We enjoyed our pre-days as well. We went to the Griffith Observatory, the Farmers Market, Santa Monica, and several other interesting places.

Just wanted to add that Dreams Unlimited has the full itinary for this adventure.

Small point - the hotel listed for the Hollywood portion of this trip is no longer a Renaissance. It is now owned by Lowes. Same location/features though. Just the name changed.

I wasn't able to schedule extra days at the end of our trip. So I am planning a vacation at DLR for next April. I want to explore the parks thoroughly. I loved every moment of the trip. To get enough time in the parks, I think it needs to be ten days, with all the extra days in the parks.

Kim

Just wanted to add that Dreams Unlimited has the full itinary for this adventure.

There is little free time when you are part of the DIS ABD BSM trips. It is ALL good, but just something to be aware of. We spent 2.5 days in the Parks prior to joining the ABD trip this last July/August and wish we had two more days to spend in the Parks.

I would highly recommend if the ABD trip ends on Friday morning that you stay over Friday and Saturday night on your own and enjoy more that the DLR has to offer.

There is little free time when you are part of the DIS ABD BSM trips. It is ALL good, but just something to be aware of. We spent 2.5 days in the Parks prior to joining the ABD trip this last July/August and wish we had two more days to spend in the Parks.

I would highly recommend if the ABD trip ends on Friday morning that you stay over Friday and Saturday night on your own and enjoy more that the DLR has to offer.

As someone who is going on the DIS Backstage Magic trip next June, I have a question for those of you who have been on previous adventures with the DIS. There's been a lot of talk both on the podcast and on the boards of "surprises" that took place. Without giving away any spoilers, did any of these surprises significantly change the amount of "on your own" time you would have had in the parks? I'm familiar with the "official" published itinerary for this trip, but I also know that each adventure is different, especially when you travel with the podcast team.

It didn't significantly reduce the on your own time. It may have actually enhanced it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

As someone who is going on the DIS Backstage Magic trip next June, I have a question for those of you who have been on previous adventures with the DIS. There's been a lot of talk both on the podcast and on the boards of "surprises" that took place. Without giving away any spoilers, did any of these surprises significantly change the amount of "on your own" time you would have had in the parks? I'm familiar with the "official" published itinerary for this trip, but I also know that each adventure is different, especially when you travel with the podcast team.

I dont believe that any of the "surprises" increased or decreased the amount of "on your own" time.

I think ABD has done a great job in making sure that they covered all of the things you'd want to do.

There was special seating for fireworks, Fantasmic, the parade and World of Color.

These things are usually scheduled during OYO time and your participation is up to you. You are free to tour on your on your own as well.

Backstage Magic trips are busy trips with pretty full days. The busiest day is the day we have breakfast, leave Hollywood, visit Imagineering, shop at Mickey's of Glendale, visit Disney Studios, drive to Disneyland, check into the Grand Californian and have dinner at Steakhouse 55. There are a few hours after dinner to visit a park, but this is a FULL DAY of exciting stuff.

On other days, we usually end in the afternoon. There are so many variables possible that it's very difficult to give a specific time that our group stuff ends.

It didn't significantly reduce the on your own time. It may have actually enhanced it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I dont believe that any of the "surprises" increased or decreased the amount of "on your own" time.

I think ABD has done a great job in making sure that they covered all of the things you'd want to do.

There was special seating for fireworks, Fantasmic, the parade and World of Color.

These things are usually scheduled during OYO time and your participation is up to you. You are free to tour on your on your own as well.

Backstage Magic trips are busy trips with pretty full days. The busiest day is the day we have breakfast, leave Hollywood, visit Imagineering, shop at Mickey's of Glendale, visit Disney Studios, drive to Disneyland, check into the Grand Californian and have dinner at Steakhouse 55. There are a few hours after dinner to visit a park, but this is a FULL DAY of exciting stuff.

On other days, we usually end in the afternoon. There are so many variables possible that it's very difficult to give a specific time that our group stuff ends.

Thank you! I'm very appreciative of the "words of wisdom" from those who have done this before. :goodvibes

I asked a question about the extra days on the 6/13 trip thread, whether you had to buy a fresh ticket for the extra days. OKW Lover responded to let me know that the rest of the day Friday is covered with the ABD trip, but if you want to go to the parks on Saturday, you have to start with a fresh Disney Park ticket - which runs $89 for one park, one day, or $115 for a hopper per person. Thought it might be relevant to the thread. WE would love to do Friday and Saturday for the extra days, but I am not sure we will pay for Saturday at that extra price yet...

I asked a question about the extra days on the 6/13 trip thread, whether you had to buy a fresh ticket for the extra days. OKW Lover responded to let me know that the rest of the day Friday is covered with the ABD trip, but if you want to go to the parks on Saturday, you have to start with a fresh Disney Park ticket - which runs $89 for one park, one day, or $115 for a hopper per person. Thought it might be relevant to the thread. WE would love to do Friday and Saturday for the extra days, but I am not sure we will pay for Saturday at that extra price yet...

Those prices are close, but not quite right.

A one day one park ticket is $87.
A one day park hopper is $125.

Disneyland Tickets

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!