Is there some secret advantage to having a travel agent?

You know most will look it up for free, you can always compare what they can do for the same money. Pick one of the big disney only groups like the one advertised at the top of this website.

As others have also said, I only use one who gets agency exclusive rates. Thanks to that agency, I was able to stay at WL for 3 nights for $710, taxes included, during Aug 2018. She's gotten me many great deals, so whenever I am not staying on my DVC points I have her book my vacations.

What a timely thread! Just last week I went through an agency for a one night res in case we decide to go to MNSSHP before our cruise in October. When I got the confirmation back, she had spelled our last name incorrectly, as well as one first name. It was no big deal to e-mail back to get this corrected, but I was thinking, "You have one job, and it is a very detail oriented job." We won't be using DME so we are now entirely done with the agent. I haven't used an agency in years! Easier to do stuff myself, I really enjoy it, and I can spell our names properly. But she had access to something that I did not and I love saving money! :hyper:

No secret advantage to a Travel Agent. It's pretty clear, you're hiring a Professional who knows the ropes and has all the tools at hand and can handle everything much quicker than I can.
Same reason I hire a painter to paint the outside my house or a mechanic to work on my car. They know the ropes, have all the tools at hand, and can handle everything much quicker than I can.
Oh, there is one thing about a Travel Agent that is different. They provide their skills at no cost to you. No brainer there.

We used a TA for our first trip several years ago and didn't know that I would ever do it again...we are not big spenders so just basic rooms/tickets and maybe one ADR (going at a not so busy time of year)…fast forward to now going with son/family and he wanted to use a TA-so thought why not? Even thought still not a big spender it is so nice to have someone else make our fast passes for us and I don't have to worry about it...I have always planned our trips but it is nice to have someone else do this small piece. As far as not being able to change things...I called into Disney today to make a payment and was pricing out an Annual Pass instead of a 7 day pass simply to get the memory maker/some small discounts plus likely get an almost free trip next year as far as passes go and it was not going to be a problem to do that so..not sure about other changes..maybe rooms I could see that would need to be done by the TA...anyway..not sure I will use a TA again but we will see after this trip.

I know the rules about DISboards and recommendations.

So how do you find a great TA that will respond to questions, spell you name correctly, and work with you to get the vacation you want?
What are the direct questions to ask before you commit to a TA?

We booked our 1st DCL for this September and it is also the 1st time using a TA. The only reason I even considered using a TA was for the onboard credit, which is great. However, our TA has been absolutely wonderful with communication and when I have "quick" questions like how much is the DCL transfer, what is the pick up location etc, I can email her and not have to call Disney directly. And from the beginning (because I'm slightly OCD & like having control!) she said the only thing I really need to do through her is final payment. I can do everything else on my own if I wish.

I'm not sure I would use one for WDW as I enjoy the entire planning aspect, but for our cruise, it's been very helpful and I would definitely use her again!

We used a TA for our first trip but every time we wanted to do a change, having to email her and wait for her to do it was just not worth it. I didn't like the lack of control. And if I'm only going to have the TA book the resort, I'd rather just do that myself. I can keep an eye out for deals just as easily as they can, and I only have to keep track of ONE set of dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter