Is this “scamming” the DAS system?

Thank you so much. When you go to guest services, do you just ask for the DAS pass? What do you have to say? This is all very new to me.

I would say something like, "I would like to inquire about obtaining a DAS to help me with attraction lines." They will then say something like "okay, can you tell me a little bit about how waiting in line is challenging for you." At this point, you can discuss the bathroom urgency issues you have.

Last edited:
I’m already planning on stopping at every bathroom, especially right before/after rides. For depends, are they obvious? I was planning on wearing running shorts because it will be so hot so if I don’t know if I shouldn’t.
I don’t find them obvious at all, but I wear sundresses or Bermuda shorts. When I think running shorts I think very short skin tight ones which would show any incontinence item. There’s another brand out there that claims to fit like regular undies. poise? Maybe.

I have IBS-D with related anxiety, and I have used DAS at both WDW and Disneyland. It's honestly a lifesaver for our trips, it made a huge difference. We did not know about the DAS when my husband and I went on our honeymoon and we missed about half of our planned Fast Passes because I felt too unwell. Having the DAS lets me rest a lot more often and not feel so pressured to make the hour Fast Pass window. Definitely get it if it will help put you at ease.

My mom had incontinence issues related to her stroke-related dementia.

Whenever traveling, we would set up "bathroom kits" that I would create in a gallon zip-lock bag. It would have:
- a fresh pair of briefs
- a pair of nitrile* gloves
- a small supply of wipes in a sandwich size zip-lock bag.
- a fresh, clean damp washcloth folded in a separate ziplock bag. (You could also substitute a clean cotton bandana if you prefer)

Because Mom sometimes got emotional during toileting (side effect of her strokes) I always popped in another sandwich bag with a few tissues folded up, but that's optional. 🙂

In two separate 2-gallon zip-lock bags I would put one pair each of the soft knit pants she preferred to wear in case we needed a wardrobe change. As the day progressed, I would keep/consolidate any "extras" from the toileting kits that we didn't use, and place soiled briefs, wipes, etc. into a ziplock to dispose of. Soiled washclothes went back into a ziplock bag for laundry. By packing everything "flat" in ziploc bags and squishing all the air out, it makes it super easy at Security/Bag check as well; they can see all the contents of every bag, and so won't have to go rooting around through everything.

Typically, everything fit nicely into a backpack that we hung off the back of her wheelchair.

*we only carry nitrile gloves so we don't accidentally expose someone with a Latex allergy to a trigger.

It sounds like a lot - and the first few times we made the "kits" and put everything together, it was kind of overwhelming to try and figure out what we would need. We also would change the kits based on our location and destination; for trips to the doctors office, I would bring along some toilet paper from home because she hated the paper provided in the restrooms there.

Bring what you need to feel comfortable. 🙂

Thank you so much. When you go to guest services, do you just ask for the DAS pass? What do you have to say? This is all very new to me.
I don't think that they are allowed to ask you why you need it. I have used this before, and I never gave a reason, just said that I can't stand in long lines. If you want to ride with others in your group, you can "add" them to your DAS by bringing them to GS with you. Anyone in your group can "check in" at a ride, but you have to ride with the group. Once you check in and get your return time, you can go back anytime after that. Also, you can only checkin to one ride at a time.

I don't think that they are allowed to ask you why you need it. I have used this before, and I never gave a reason, just said that I can't stand in long lines. If you want to ride with others in your group, you can "add" them to your DAS by bringing them to GS with you. Anyone in your group can "check in" at a ride, but you have to ride with the group. Once you check in and get your return time, you can go back anytime after that. Also, you can only checkin to one ride at a time.
The CM if doing there job should ask “!What are your concerns for the line?” (!or something similar) they do not need your DX but your concerns as it has to do with being in line. This is something anyone asking for a DAS should be ready to answer.

And they don't ask you to elaborate? Seems odd. We have renewed a DAS every 2 months for 4 years now and ALWAYS get asked "how is waiting in lines challenging" and "what might happen if he has to wait in a long line?"

And they don't ask you to elaborate? Seems odd. We have renewed a DAS every 2 months for 4 years now and ALWAYS get asked "how is waiting in lines challenging" and "what might happen if he has to wait in a long line?"
It's likely that I don't remember exactly what happened last year :-) If they did ask me, I would have told them the truth, that I might stumble or fall. I rent an ECV for walking, but I'd rather not try to take that on any attractions.
Google: "disney world das fact sheet" for the official facts.

I used DAS before and after my knee replacement. I couldn’t stand for long periods or walk. But I felt it was worse than just making FPs on my phone.
It added on to walking because you had to physically go to the attraction to get a return time, then go back at your given return time, and I had to stand in the FP line. I felt it added on extra walking and was difficult. In hindsight I should have rented a scooter, but they intimidate me, never having used one. Terrified I’d hit someone. I see so many cutting in front of them. It feels like it would be navigating thru a mine field.
I know your situation is different than mine was but I felt DAS just added on extra walking. And walking with a full feeling bladder is torture!

I used DAS before and after my knee replacement. I couldn’t stand for long periods or walk. But I felt it was worse than just making FPs on my phone.
It added on to walking because you had to physically go to the attraction to get a return time, then go back at your given return time, and I had to stand in the FP line. I felt it added on extra walking and was difficult. In hindsight I should have rented a scooter, but they intimidate me, never having used one. Terrified I’d hit someone. I see so many cutting in front of them. It feels like it would be navigating thru a mine field.
I know your situation is different than mine was but I felt DAS just added on extra walking. And walking with a full feeling bladder is torture!
Good points, Sue.

No, this is not scamming the system. This is the type of issue the DAS is designed to help with. I know what you are going through. I have pretty severe IBS and it causes bladder issues as well. I don't use a DAS, but we have one for our autistic sons. Honestly, though, if I was having a particularly bad flare up of IBS that overlapped with a Disney trip, without my kids, I would absolutely get a DAS. In our experience with the DAS, wait times in excess of 15 minutes are rare, but also in my personal experience with a condition that causes "bathroom issues," you will know when you can get in a line and when you can't, and the DAS is perfect for that. It's open ended return window is perfect because you won't have the pressure to return within a specific small window. I mean, I have been stuck in the bathroom for well over an hour numerous times, and something like a traditional fastpass is useless in that situation.

Also, I know of people with UC/Crohn's and IBS who have DAS for those conditions, so it is definitely something that "qualifies."
Hi I am newly diagnosed with chron's disease and I'm concerned about having to explain this to get the pass.. and ring embarrassed...and thoughts on how to explain or details they will need??

I guess I would just say something to the effect that you can not wait in long lines because you will need to urgently use the bathroom. They don't really want to hear your details and will probably stop you if you do try to give them a medical history. Most guest service cast members are really nice and understanding.
I just obtained a pass a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with lilsia. My reason had more to do with stability and standing and walking, but I just made a brief reference to that and we were done.

I’m already planning on stopping at every bathroom, especially right before/after rides. For depends, are they obvious? I was planning on wearing running shorts because it will be so hot so if I don’t know if I shouldn’t.
You can request samples of the incontinence products on their websites

You can request samples of the incontinence products on their websites

Even wearing those products, you would still have to leave the line and go to the bathroom. It just saves you from having to change your pants out. No one is going to continue on with standing in line and then sitting on the ride with their incontinence product full.

Hi I am newly diagnosed with chron's disease and I'm concerned about having to explain this to get the pass.. and ring embarrassed...and thoughts on how to explain or details they will need??

:welcome:
You can give basic info of your need without getting detailed. Everybody's may be different, even with the same diagnosis, so just explain basics of what your concern is about waiting in a long queue.

Enjoy your vacation!

Folks - please remember no scripts, no “just say xxxxx.”

You can write your concerns down if you do not want to say it out loud just let the CM know you write this and that it is not a DR ( witch they can not read ).

:welcome:
You can give basic info of your need without getting detailed. Everybody's may be different, even with the same diagnosis, so just explain basics of what your concern is about waiting in a long queue.

Enjoy your vacation!

Folks - please remember no scripts, no “just say xxxxx.”
Thank you

This is good to hear. I too am struggling with a possible DX, for similar issues. I haven't used a park map for decades, but now I am going to grab a map in each park, first thing, and sharpie circle all the bathrooms! I missed a few of my FP's last month for this situation!
If you use the magic guide to disney app .. there is a toilet icon on the upper left
It tells you the nearest bathroom!!!

Theoretically, once you have the Disability Access Service for the purpose of easing access to the rest room, you do not have to criss cross the park except the distance between the ride in question and the nearest rest room. If you chose to wait near the rest room, the additional walking perceived by using DAS would be minimal.

Sometimes there is still a delay after your return to the ride at the appointed time. So it is a good idea to go to the rest room immediately before.

For problems with stability and knee replacements and walking, a wheelchair or similar equipment should be used. Practice using one before coming to Disney for your vacation. If you happen to be using DAS and if you can get down to sit on the ground to rest and get back up again then you might get by without the wheelchair. Some persons might find it easier to turn around into a crawl position just before getting up. Benches are not always available.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter