Is this a crazy idea or where to stay last night with 6am flight home

birmantaz

Mouseketeer
We (myself and 2 dd's age 15 and 16) have a 6am flight home and I am trying to decide what to do the last night in Disney. We have reservations at California Grill at 9:50pm so by the time we finish dinner we will only have 3-4 hours until we should leave to the airport. Is it worth getting a room at All Stars for $150ish and get 3am ME or just go get a Dole Whip at Captain Cooks and hang around Poly lobby until 3:30 am and uber over to airport with no sleep? Or last choice is cancel California Grill reservation and get a real nights sleep before flight home?

I would cancel CG, do something else special earlier, and get more sleep.

Actually, I won’t schedule a flight that early, but if I had to for some reason I would never plan a late night before it. I know lots of people do, though. I would do it to leave for vacation and get there early, but never to end it!

How long is your flight home? If it was long enough to get at least 4-5 hours of sleep I would just stay up and sleep on the plane. Our flight is only 3 hours so that wouldn’t work for me.

I'd either cancel CG or stay up all night. I don't think it is worth it to get a hotel room for only a few hours of sleep. I generally find that (short-term) I function better on no sleep than on just a couple hours of (likely unsettled) sleep. It would also depend on what your plans are when you return home. If you need to drive home from the airport, definitely would cancel CG rather than risk doing that in sleep-deprived mode. If you have a shuttle/pick up and a couple days of vacation recovery time before having to return to work/school, then I'd be more likely to stay up enjoying that Dole Whip after a nice dinner at California Grill.

thanks for the responses - our flight home is only about 3 hours, but the day we get back we will uber home from the airport and can relax/sleep, the kids do go back to school the following day though. I still can't decide which way to go - we really do like California Grill and watching the fireworks (seems like a great way to end our vacation) - but being tired and sleep deprived can be miserable... Would it be strange for us to be hanging out around the Poly at that time of night? Are there people still up and about?

Where are you staying for the rest of the trip? Where ever it is realize you will check out of that room at 11 a.m. and then be unable to rest or change until you land the following day around 9 a.m.. When I had a 3 a.m. DME pick up years ago I had to schlep my own bags because bell services was closed, that was at POFQ.
If you’re taking DME would you even get your DME documents - they usually hang them on your door the day before your last day w/ your DME time - but I’m not sure they’d even schedule a DME pick up for the day after you check out.
Sitting in a hotel lobby, especially the Poly which doesn’t have much public seating, might generate security’s interest, if it were me I’d be a bit worried about being kicked out.
Reschedule your signature fireworks meal for the night before your last night - consider Narcoosees or Ohana if you can’t get Ca Grill - and keep trying as ADRs do open up.
I’d extend my stay wherever I was already staying to include the last night I was there, do an early dinner and then get to sleep early, or I’d head to the airport that night and stay at the Hyatt in the airport and sleep there the last night.

I would get my sleep and maybe try for an earlier dinner reservation. Like others have said, I would leave early to get TO Disney but not to leave. I’m already bummed when we get home to be back to the daily grind but to do it on no sleep , well that just makes it worse :faint:

I would first cancel CG. That dinner is going to cost more than money IMO. By the time you finish you will have been in the same clothes since early morning, and will be in them until the following day. I could not do that.

WIth a flight that early I would book a room at the airport and get some sleep.

I don't function well on no sleep. Have you thought about getting a room at the hotel in the airport? That way you could sleep some and then not be so exhausted on your flight? Also wouldn't have to worry about travel time? For the California Grill dinner I would cancel.

No question. Earlier dinner and get some sleep. I do not do well on little sleep, and if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Only you can decide what works best for you and your family...I know for our family we could do it but we would be train wrecks the next day...far from an ideal way to end a "vacation"...if it was me I would front load things like that in my vacation and ease up on the last day if I had such an early morning flight.

I echo the sentiments of an earlier poster...the Hyatt Regency is a great option for early morning flights out of MCO...

If the kids don't sleep, they'll sleep on the plane and probably when you get home. Then they won't be able to go to sleep that night, and they have school the next day. I think the plan will mess up everyone's sleep too much. Not worth it.

I would change my dinner to an earlier time, stay in our same room, get a few hours of sleep and then leave for ME at 3:30 am.

I don't mind these early flights going to Disney but not coming home. Did it once when our kids were younger. Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter