Is this a cult?

tHe mAd hAtTeR

Earning My Ears
Hello everybody. My wife has just signed up for the Disney Vacation Club. I'm trying to figure out the basics without spending a lot of time reading all the FAQ's. Can anyone explain this to me in English? How is that it's economically advantageous to buy the points plus pay the annual "dues" instead of just renting points from someone or looking out for the best deals?

Is this a cult?

Thanks,

Hello everybody. My wife has just signed up for the Disney Vacation Club. I'm trying to figure out the basics without spending a lot of time reading all the FAQ's. Can anyone explain this to me in English? How is that it's economically advantageous to buy the points plus pay the annual "dues" instead of just renting points from someone or looking out for the best deals?

Is this a cult?

Thanks,

Dave

Are you serious? Your wife just plunked down thousands of dollars for DVC and you have no idea what it's about? Wow!:eek:

I'd strongly suggest that you do take the time to plow through the FAQ's. They are well organized and written, and for someone to explain DVC to you they'd have to type all the same things anyway!

Basically, DVC is a right to use (RTU) timeshare based on a point system. You buy points, and making reservations uses points. The point per night depends on:

Which resort
Time of year
Day of the week
Size of the accommodation you are booking

There are lots of rules and stuff...hopefully your wife took the time to learn some of them.

As for the economics, the whole concept of "looking for deals" is relatively new at Walt Disney World resorts. There is no guarantee that those deals will continue to exist.

Also, with DVC you end up with nicer accommodations than the resort standard rooms...even the rooms at the Deluxe resorts.

I'm sure others will chime in with many comments. Good luck to you!

Hi,
Believe it or not, but when we first bought, annual dues was not a concern of mine. Last week I ran into a friend who has been considering buying and was asking about cost and dues etc...

Luckily I found the following explanation of the math here on this forum by Namdnas. Hopefully this will help you.

"OK, let me take another shot at it.

I did buy (1st buy, and yes, I'm already sweating buying more points) the minimum at BCV. That's enough to get us a 2BR at Beach Club in the low season (we'll often go in January) from Sunday to Thursday. The 'rack' rate for this room in the same season is $535 per night, and with taxes it's $596 (11.5% total for hotels in Florida). So, at rack rate it would book for $2883 for those 5 days. You can pretty much assume that the market price for the room 'reflects' how nice it is. These rooms (in this case a 2BR home) are comparable to premium hotel rooms. While you don't get housekeeping every day, the amenities more than make up for it, and again, trust me, they're damn nice (I was pleasantly shocked).

Now, lets assume that you can pretty much always get a 20% discount if you look hard enough. That would bring a more real cost for the 5 days to about $2386.

Assuming you buy this with Magical Beginings (you forfeit your first years points, but still pay pro-rated dues) for $74/point for 150 points. This would cost
$11100, with no closing costs (direct from Disney, not resale). If you get 39 years at 150 / year, you have total of 5850 points. $11100/5850 = $1.90/point purchase cost (yes everyone, I am neglecting time value of money, but I'm trying to make this easy).

Now, maintenance fees are approx. $4.00/(point-year) for a yearly maintenance fee of approx. $4x150 = $600 /year. Add to that $1.90x150=$285, and the 5 days cost you roughly $885.

Compare $885 to $2386 and you've got a $1500/year savings.

Now, you could invest the money, and figure out the anticipated return, say 10% historically, but you'll still be hard pressed to beat the savings. Keep in mind that dues are based on actual running costs for the resorts, which Disney can't raise for profit. I think they'll continue increase far slower than inflation and room rates in general, especially at Disney.

Enjoy!!!"

(I hope I pasted this correctly, as Namdnas derserves all the credit for this explanation)

Martha

Why do you ask this same question on two different threads with two different titles?

yes!!! it's a cult!!

and too late now, you're a member!! lol

just listen to the Sacred Mouse and you will live long and prosper . .

Hi,
Yes this is a cult. When our DVC contract expires in 2042, we will don our personalized Mickey ears and head to Honey I Shrunk The Audience. After we are reduced to five percent of our current size we will be transported to Cinderella's Castle which is in actuality a space craft. We will then be transported to the planet of Disneyopia. You too can join us, it requires a minimum purchase of 150 vacation points.;)
-Chris

Besides the fact that "deals" may not always be there, renting points doesn't always work. If you scan the Rent/Trade board for the last few weeks you will notice that it is virtually impossible to get a rental anytime from about mid-October (when Food & Wine Fest begins) right through New Years. Yes, there are a few lucky folks that get someone's already made ressie, but they are rare.

Originally posted by mikesmom
Besides the fact that "deals" may not always be there, renting points doesn't always work. If you scan the Rent/Trade board for the last few weeks you will notice that it is virtually impossible to get a rental anytime from about mid-October (when Food & Wine Fest begins) right through New Years. Yes, there are a few lucky folks that get someone's already made ressie, but they are rare.

With our family the "deals" don't work. We can't get the size and type of accomodations we need and want on shorter notice, meaning bigger than a double bed, a fridge and micro wave, room to spread out, ajoining rooms with lockouts, and it is harder to get good airfares. Two rooms for our family of seven at CBR at a "deal" would be $3,660 for 10 nights (includes tax) and would not be anywhere near as nice, relaxing, convenient and comfortable as our 10 nights at OKW starting next week.

Whether it is or is not a cult depends on if you consider Disney to be your Mecca :jester:

Originally posted by joepoe
See Webmaster Doc for your DVC koolaid...

Bwahahahahaha! We need to start a "Best Quote on the DVC Board" thread. This one is a classic. (as I sip on my koolaid) ;)

Originally posted by joepoe
See Webmaster Doc for your DVC koolaid...

trink14.gif

No, it is NOT a cult!
I repeat, it is not a cult!
Everytime we go to WDW, they remind me it is NOT a cult!
We bought at the BCV.
We added on at the BCV.
It is NOT a cult!
We are not addicted!
Whew!
More kool-aid please:teeth:
P.S. Welcome to the cult, uh, club:p

Ha! I think DVC is a cult. You go to the great sales presentation and see the amazing rooms and sign on the dotted line for more money than you every thought you would spend on something that relates to vacationing......... AND THEN, you start obsessively checking this message board every day and you start forwarding certain threads to your husband or wife, and pretty soon you just start thinking all of the time "I need more points. I need more points. I need more points..........."

When I am not spending time thinking about how we can afford to add more points, I am thinking about our first trip home next May.....

BEWARE!!!

Originally posted by tHe mAd hAtTeR

Is this a cult?

Thanks,

Not trying to be rude here, but, because you don't want to spend the time reading, you think it ok to ask us to spend our time explaining something to you because you don't want to read.
Uh, huh. Not this chick. Read it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter