Is this bad parenting? WWYD?

Would you pull a switcheroo on your child and replace a sickly/dead pet?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
And at the end of the day, NONE of it really matters because the OP went ahead and replaced the tadpole.

Problem solved.
I don’t think the OP was looking for validation for replacing the tadpole, but actually wanted opinions (WWYD). Where did she say she replaced it?

Never pass up the opportunity to educate your children. Small living things hold a special place for children. But life and death happens. And both can be hard enough without knowing how to deal with it. This won't be the worst disappointment your child faces. Start preparing her by telling her the truth. You be prepared for the questions the truth will bring out. Your answers are also passing on your values and your character. Parenting is tough....even when it seems simple sometimes. :hug:

RIP Stubbs. He passed away today. My daughter is upset, but not nearly as distraught as I thought she might be. Hoping she continues to take it OK.

*got the pic added finally, it's on page 2

This is a stupid, random thing that is happening in my life--so it's perfect for the community board, right? My kids and I kept a couple small whiskey barrel ponds in the backyard this summer. We stocked them with tadpoles at the beginning of June, and those tadpoles turned into frogs and hopped away, all but one. When we started tearing down the ponds for the winter, there was still a tadpole left in one of the ponds. He has tiny little back legs, and what appears to be an arm-bud where one of his front legs should be.

We took him inside the house where we could keep a close eye on him and make sure he was eating--I thought maybe the other tadpoles and fish in the ponds were stealing his food and surely he would turn if he just had better access to food. Nope. It's been 3 weeks and nothing has changed, except that now my daughter is really attached to him and invested in his success and survival. I'm worried that something is wrong with the little guy and he is going to die and break my daughter's heart. So since I am off today, I was considering going to the pond supply store and buying another tadpole for her, to either replace the one that is in there or to just distract her, I'm not real clear on exactly how it would work. To be honest, it kind of depends on whether I can get another tadpole in a similar stage of development this late in the season.

In your opinion, is that bad parenting? Should I leave it go and let her be sad about her sickly pet? Or should I try to fix it for her? My daughter is 7, if that matters.

*edit* I decided not to switch him out, we are keeping Stubbs for better or for worse. I wanted to attach a pic of him but I've never posted pics on here and I don't know how.

RIP Stubbs. He died sometime today. My daughter is sad but not distraught.

We take in cats that are otherwise unadoptable, ones with Feline Aids and Leukemia. Yesterday we made the decision to help one cross the Rainbow Bridge. He had been at the vet since Friday and when they called yesterday morning, he was still not eating on his own and his blood count wasn’t really good. We decided that he had put up a good fight and it was time to rest.

My daughter and granddaughter went with me to the vet. We went in to say our goodbyes to him and then I expected my daughter and granddaughter to leave the room while they put him to sleep. My granddaughter (8) decided she wanted to be there for him. The vet was very nice and explained that he would just go to sleep and not wake up, but it wouldn’t hurt him. He was already unresponsive to us, so it was very quick. We stayed with him for few minutes and told her that he was no longer in pain and was with his old buddy Shadow and the other babies we have had.

I was so proud of her. We all cried, but then we laughed that Shadow would tell Thomas that he should have come into our house sooner. We said with having to replace cabinets and such after Hurricane Michael, we would paint them different colors and have a cat theme in the kitchen including a picture of the Rainbow Bridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter