Is Trex worth a trip to Disney Springs?

KMP12

Mouseketeer
We go in August and I have an ADR for Trex. Other than that we have no interest in making our way to Disney Springs. Getting from DS back to a park seems like a hassle. Debating just doing rainforest while at A.K. thoughts??

If you've eaten at a Rainforest Cafe you've eaten at T-Rex.
Neither restaurant is worth a special trip to my way of thinking.

Depends on your kids, when we went it was our younger son and daughter, they were 8 &10 and they loved it, but as far as my wife and I, TRex was average to poor cafeteria food, typical Laundry's mess hall grub. Plus the place is VERY LOUD with all that is going on in there, wow.......once was enough

Well, it depends. How important is atmosphere and theming to you at restaurants? I mean, both the Rainforest and T-Rex are spectacular in their ambiance and unlike anything else out there. They are so much fun. I get the argument that if you've done one, you've done the other, but that sorta is unfair. I mean, one has tropical creatures from a Rainforest interacting with you and the other has Dinosaurs. One has an Ice Age Room that turns colors, the other has a volcano. Each are amazing in their own right.

But I get the detractors and those that are not impressed as well. Both are sensory overload and noisy too, as the creatures are loud. You have to be in the mood for this sorta of themepark eatery. Also, the food at both is sorta at the level of a Fridays or Applebees or Chilis - that sorta thing. It's not fine dining. I think the food at T-Rex is a bit better. But if you're not picky and cool with burger and fried and other basic fried sorta things, it's very good. I've had the burger and a steak and been happy with those at T-Rex. I've had a pasta dish and a shrimp dish at Rainforest and didn't like it much. So, probably be aware that they aren't great with the more ambitious sort of dishes that require spices and seasonings and different sauces.

If you can only fit one in, that's fine, you will be more than pleased with the overall experience with the Animal Kingdom Rainforest Cafe. The one in Disney Springs is bigger but it doesn't really matter. For some people, this might be their favorite overall dining experience in Disney World, believe it or not. For my mom, it was, it was just so unexpected, all the animals interacting and the meteor showers, she found it so magical and was in awe - you could have asked her what she had to eat afterwards and she would not have remembered that but she would go on and on about how it was the best time ever and the best restaurant she ever went to. She loved it.

So, it really depends on your party and if you're sorta craving this sort of experience and how likely you are to be in awe of it or if it would do nothing for you. Everyone is different.

It’s better than rainforest in theme and food. Lego store is right on front and if you do your research parking is nearby.

I am one of the rare people who love T-Rex. Foodies might scoff at the food a bit, but I like it and it's waaay better than Rainforest Cafe IMO. I usually order the mozzarella sticks and the ribs, and I'm happy! But I love dinosaurs! If you have kids who love dinosaurs, it is such a great experience for them. I think Disney Springs is worth a trip anyway. But then, if you are on limited time and feel it would take away from your park time, doing Rainforest Cafe at AK is a good compromise, but T-Rex is way cooler! Though if you don't have anyone in your group who is utterly fascinated by dinosaurs, definitely not worth it.

If you are asking my DS7, then yes...worth it. We skipped it the last few visits, but I was made to pinky promise we would go next weekend. 🙄🦕🦖
If Dinos are not a priority, then just do RFC.
(I don't mind the food, but I'm not picky. )

The food isn't brilliant and there are better food options at DS but if you are hoping for the specific theming that may not be as much of a consideration as it would to someone who is more foodie. There are some brilliant restaurants at DS and there is also a gift shop at T Rex which you are welcome to browse as long as you like! (Wink wink) go in, enjoy the view, maybe buy the kiddos a nice memento, then eat somewhere else?
So no, don't travel to DS especially for T Rex, but it's worth a trip for many other reasons.

DD loves T-Rex! It's a must for us when she is with us.

I think their mushroom ravioli is one of the best I have eaten anywhere, WDW or not. I am a big fan of T-Rex.

I am not a big fan of Rainforest Cafe, DH loves it though.

I would make a trip to DS for T-Rex if you have an interested person in your group. Take a Lyft or Minnie Van from a park or the buses from your resort.

There is also a spectacular bar at I believe all 3 of them. In particular, the bar at T-Rex is quite stunning. There are just some Disney eateries where the theming is so unique and fun, that you have to try it at least once or a few times. The food may not live up the theming always, but if you're not picky, than that won't matter. I include the Coral Reef, Sci-fi Dine in, '50s Prime Time in this category as well.

We've eaten at T-Rex once and thought it was very good. But, we do love Disney Springs and always spend at least half a day browsing the shops there every trip.

If you are not planning to do anything else at Disney Springs, I would probably just skip it simply because it would be a lot of travel time for a meal.

We love T-Rex and make sure this is one of our stops every trip. We love the atmosphere as well as the food.

Add us to the list of people who wouldn't make a special trip to DS just to eat at T-Rex. I love dinosaurs and found it very interesting the first time, but the food wasn't worth the effort to get there unless we were at DS for some other reason.

It’s better than rainforest in theme and food. Lego store is right on front and if you do your research parking is nearby.
I agree with this 100%. The theme is awesome. I think the theme is better than RFC. But that's just me. It all depends on how badly you want to see dinosaurs. If you have zero interest in anything else in Disney Springs then perhaps just skip it? While at AK i'd much rather eat at Satuli Canteen to be honest. It was one of my best meals on my trip and one of my fave QS on property. Food is so fresh, tasty, and healthy. :)

Well its not really worth it but I have done it in 2008 we had to go so the then 7 year old daughter could get a stuffed wooly mamouth. Sigh there must be 300 elephants in my house.

Add us to the list of people who wouldn't make a special trip to DS just to eat at T-Rex. I love dinosaurs and found it very interesting the first time, but the food wasn't worth the effort to get there unless we were at DS for some other reason.
Agree. We have done it twice and like it was mentioned above - very similar to RFC. If you love dinosaurs, then yes, if not - then only if you are in the area. Don't make a special trip. My son's loved the themeing and the food was good but not great. Reservations are a must and even then you will wait (we waited 20 mins). The shared deserts are cool as a family thing and the staff is friendly and failrly quick to serve the food. Overall, if you are already going to DS, then I would say yes, try it, if not then don't go out of your way.

If you do decide to go, get a Landry's Select card at https://www.landrysselect.com/. Costs $25 but you get a $25 credit the first time you use it. Walk up to the seating podium inside (not the reservation check in desk outside) when you arrive at any Landry's restaurant, including T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe, show them the card, and you'll be seated at first available table for a party your size - ahead of other walk-ups, no ADR needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter