Is Uber really that much of a time saver?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
I've never driven to the parks or taken a cab. From Magic Kingdom, how far outside the gates do you have to walk to get an Uber? Is it really a time saver over buses? Will be staying at AKL with a toddler so I guess we would need Uber Family which in my city takes longer to pick you up than standard Uber.

It's a short walk, 5 to 10 minutes, to and from the Contemporary. That is where I like to be dropped off when using Uber or Lyft for MK.

Is it a time saver? It depends on a lot of factors including how many people are waiting for an Uber and the wait for the next available bus. I personally wouldn't use Uber if I was staying on property.

Honestly, from the Magic Kingdom, I'd splurge and use a Minnie Van (through the Lyft app). They pick you up right outside the entrance, before the bus depots. But that's because they're Disney transportation. A 'regular' Lyft or Uber has to still pick you up at the TTC, if I'm not mistaken. The Minnie Vans come with car seats, so you'd be all set for your toddler.

Just my two cents!

There are a lot of variables, but I personally LOVE taking an Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van, especially after a long day at the park. Knowing that you'll have a place for you and your toddler to sit instead of potentially standing on a bus, makes it worth it. The Minnie Van costs more than a regular Uber/Lyft, but picks you up where the buses do at Magic Kingdom. No need to go to the TTC.

I only use Uber/Lyft at the parks when staying off site, or if something comes up and makes me run late. On my last trip, I had a reservation for brunch at CA Grill at 10am. It was the day the rest of my party was leaving (I was staying solo for a few more days) and they had to pack before we left. We lost track of time and didn't catch a bus for MK in time to get there and walk to the Contemporary. I ordered a Lyft and we made it with time to spare. So it's a good resource in a pinch, but I don't plan for it much, if at all.

Omg did not know that about Minnie vans! The pickup spot alone makes them worth it. Plus I don’t know about pricing in Orlando but here U er Family costs $10 more than a regular ride so I imagine pricing would be same or more than minnie van. Thanks for the tip!!!!

We found using Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans helpful when needing to get to another resort for dining reservations where taking the buses would require a transfer. For example, from POR to Beach Club for a CMC breakfast. Yes, we could take a bus from POR to HS and then walk or take the boat to BC, but it would take a whole lot longer than just requesting an Uber or Lyft.

But for transportation to/from the MK, I'd just use the buses.

Uber is by far the best. We stood at the beach club and used Uber. Only cost 95 total for the 9 days we were there

I've never driven to the parks or taken a cab. From Magic Kingdom, how far outside the gates do you have to walk to get an Uber? Is it really a time saver over buses? Will be staying at AKL with a toddler so I guess we would need Uber Family which in my city takes longer to pick you up than standard Uber.
The best choice to Uber would be to take the short walk to the Contemporary and order from there. You would want UberX with car seat (they don't call it Family in the Orlando market). In Orlando, the car seat vehicles are $8 more than regular Uber.

The fare estimate I got for X car seat on the app was $19.85, and the time estimate was within 3 minutes of a regular X ride. However both the fare and time estimate will vary with time of day and demand.

The trip is 7.5 miles, and MinnieVan is $15 + $2.75 per mile, so the MinnieVan fare would be $35.63.

The only way to make a sensible judgement would be to check the bus pickup time when you are ready to go, and then evaluate.

The best choice to Uber would be to take the short walk to the Contemporary and order from there. You would want UberX with car seat (they don't call it Family in the Orlando market). In Orlando, the car seat vehicles are $8 more than regular Uber.

The fare estimate I got for X car seat on the app was $19.85, and the time estimate was within 3 minutes of a regular X ride. However both the fare and time estimate will vary with time of day and demand.

The trip is 7.5 miles, and MinnieVan is $15 + $2.75 per mile, so the MinnieVan fare would be $35.63.

The only way to make a sensible judgement would be to check the bus pickup time when you are ready to go, and then evaluate.
Very helpful thank you!!!

I'd just take the bus. The walk to the Contemporary is going to be almost twice as long as the walk to the resort bus. Not sure how long you'll have to wait for an Uber with a car seat. You really want to save time. Book a minnie van.

One other thing you should keep in mind is what time of day you will need the Uber and not just because of how long it will take for them to pick you up and drop you off.

Last April we had a PPO breakfast at CRT. We were also staying at the AKL and the buses weren’t running yet so we took a regular Lyft. After they dropped us off we discovered that the monorail wasn’t running yet so we would have to take the Ferry. It took forever to leave and we almost missed our ADR.

One other thing you should keep in mind is what time of day you will need the Uber and not just because of how long it will take for them to pick you up and drop you off.

Last April we had a PPO breakfast at CRT. We were also staying at the AKL and the buses weren’t running yet so we took a regular Lyft. After they dropped us off we discovered that the monorail wasn’t running yet so we would have to take the Ferry. It took forever to leave and we almost missed our ADR.
Next time you go to MK, put the Contemporary as your destination and you won't have that problem. Short walk from CR to MK.

I’m going to semi hijack this post but thoughts about using Uber/Lyft at 4am for SWGE opening in September? Assuming busses start running an hour pre opening, it means first bus is at 5am which seems late to queue up for a 6am park opening.

Minnie vans are great! Expensive, but great. And they drop you off right at Magic Kingdom rather than the TTC. We took a regular Lyft to MK & ended up with a driver who spoke no English & we ended up in a restricted area! he didn’t know where to go after that & I ended up trying to give him directions with the help of some nice guy who tried to tell me where to go. And then we were dropped off at the TTC anyway, so NO time was saved by that little Lyft adventure!

Minnie vans are great! Expensive, but great. And they drop you off right at Magic Kingdom rather than the TTC. We took a regular Lyft to MK & ended up with a driver who spoke no English & we ended up in a restricted area! he didn’t know where to go after that & I ended up trying to give him directions with the help of some nice guy who tried to tell me where to go. And then we were dropped off at the TTC anyway, so NO time was saved by that little Lyft adventure!
You should complain to Lyft about that ride. They may refund (or at least adjust) your fare.

In the driver's defense, Lyft has been having problems with pickup and dropoff locations for several months and so far doesn't seem to be able to fix the problem...which is actually even more reason why they should adjust your fare.

Also, next time, put the Contemporary as your destination and walk from there. If you put MK, the TTC is the correct dropoff, because Uber/Lyft drivers cannot go to the bus dropoff at MK. But they can go to the CR.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter