Is your trip still going ahead?

I asked VA to reverse my request for a refund and they have agreed and I now have an open ticket. This may not sound like the best plan, but, I can now book another flight now instead of having to wait until the refund, which was looking to be December if what others were saying was correct, so if September doesn't go ahead as planned I just give them a call and immediately book a new flight rather than paying for a new flight while still waiting for a refund on the first one.

Hospitalizations about a week; deaths nearer 3 weeks.
The less political sources say the proportions of those tested being positive are up.
Also it's the 18-34 age group that is testing positive more.
Watching CNN just now it still feels like this administration is still in denial about the issue. 18500 new cases in Florida over the past two days and the guy still says they are doing better than other countries that have flattened the curve. I'm not crazy about going somewhere where they have such a huge rate of infections when every country seems to be getting on top of the problem. I think TUI have done the right thing to be honest.

I asked VA to reverse my request for a refund and they have agreed and I now have an open ticket. This may not sound like the best plan, but, I can now book another flight now instead of having to wait until the refund, which was looking to be December if what others were saying was correct, so if September doesn't go ahead as planned I just give them a call and immediately book a new flight rather than paying for a new flight while still waiting for a refund on the first one.
This is what I'm hoping to do. Was due to go this Oct to get married but towards the end of the year, we were going back again next Oct for a family holiday. We don't want to get married at the same time of the family one so now looking at pushing back this year's trip to April. When I've checked, flights are over £1,000 cheaper so gonna do an open ticket and use that for NEXT October then book the cheaper, new flight for April so hopefully it looks like it will all work out ok x

I'm not crazy about going somewhere where they have such a huge rate of infections when every country seems to be getting on top of the problem. I think TUI have done the right thing to be honest.
I do agree.
However, I think/hope Disney will be something of a bubble with all the precautions.
I'm thinking to skip table service dining since that will be fairly high risk - being near an infectious person indoors for a long time is not good. (Eg. UK tracking classes a risk contact as within 2m for 15 minutes, so 2.5m for an hour has got to be ... ??.)
Some indoor ride queues could be iffy, but most rides are only a few minutes and move around, so not worried about them really.
Outside, very low risk. Edit: F&WF stalls all outside :-)

Last edited:

I read a report (it was in a tabloid so not always accurate!) but they implied that the Air Bridges to North America would not be in place till November/December.

In turn this would come with a FCO Non Essential Travel Restriction meaning Travel Insurance is not valid. Pandemic or no pandemic, a lack of travel insurance in the US is an issue!!

TUI have clearly preempted this. I can't see UK people getting to the US this year.

Sorry to be a pessimist!

Hospitalizations about a week; deaths nearer 3 weeks.
The less political sources say the proportions of those tested being positive are up.
Also it's the 18-34 age group that is testing positive more.
Exactly!

I can't see the death rate climbing for a month or so, it'll need to become rife in the over 50's again, which will take some time for transmission to the 18-34 group to take it home to their families.

There's alot of people on the internet in the US with their heads in the sand (including the Govt!). They are fixated on the increase in the testing being the reason for more cases, which is partly true, however the % of those tested who are infected is rising - and no one seems to recognise that!

Today would have been my first full day at WDW. ☹️ Rescheduled trip to October. Still waiting for Wales to come out of lockdown, but at least we seem to be progressing in a logical way.

Today would have been my first full day at WDW. ☹ Rescheduled trip to October. Still waiting for Wales to come out of lockdown, but at least we seem to be progressing in a logical way.

Shame the US are not progressing in a logical way! Fingers crossed for you!

Shame the US are not progressing in a logical way! Fingers crossed for you!
I'm hoping the current backward progress may actually persuade enough of them that this isn't a political problem and they will now get a better handle on it. If so things may be looking better in a couple of months. Though we will then be approaching the forecast autumn/winter rise, so it'll still be dodgy.

I'm hoping the current backward progress may actually persuade enough of them that this isn't a political problem and they will now get a better handle on it. If so things may be looking better in a couple of months. Though we will then be approaching the forecast autumn/winter rise, so it'll still be dodgy.

Agreed! The US doesn't seem to appear in any tabloid news about Air Bridges anymore. Makes me wonder if we'll have any airlines to come back to next year!

So happy here that VA just cancelled my flight back from Orlando to Glasgow on 19th September. That has allowed me to apply for a full refund from them rather than an open ticket which was my backup plan. They do say allow up to 120 days though But that not a problem at this stage.
WDW holidays U.K. allowed me to cancel and refund deposit and Expedia gave a full refund on cancelled RPR there. Even my insurance company agreed to refund us the policy which came As a surprise.
so all in all I’ll not end up out of pocket a penny for this years cancelled trip , though first time in 12 years im not Visiting Orlando :(
Plans now are looking like early to mid 2022 as our safest option , not even risking it next year.

I read a report (it was in a tabloid so not always accurate!) but they implied that the Air Bridges to North America would not be in place till November/December.

In turn this would come with a FCO Non Essential Travel Restriction meaning Travel Insurance is not valid. Pandemic or no pandemic, a lack of travel insurance in the US is an issue!!

TUI have clearly preempted this. I can't see UK people getting to the US this year.

Sorry to be a pessimist!

And I think that as much as we want to go still, despite the limitations, the decision is going to end up being taken out of our hands..

I'm watching the American news avidly and I doubt if it will be safe to visit the US anytime soon. I've got 12 days before I have to pay my holiday balance, but, the way the country and state leaders are handling this crisis I'm thinking that my health is more important than a trip to Disney. I wear a mask when I'm out even though where I live has the lowest infection rates in the UK and I've been finding it tough when it's west Wales hot, I'm not sure I can handle a mask in Orlando September heat. Sure, I'm paying £1700 for 16 days at Pop including a 21day park hopper, a bit of a bargain, but, I'm starting to think it's foolhardy to go to the country with the worst Covid-19 numbers and the worst attitude of its leaders in tackling a real pandemic . Anyone else feel the same?

I'm starting to think it's foolhardy to go to the country with the worst Covid-19 numbers and the worst attitude of its leaders in tackling a real pandemic . Anyone else feel the same?

Yes....however, my trip is first week in November. I can't cancel voluntarily yet without losing a lot money, specifically the flight which was booked separately. There's no harm in just waiting to see what happens. If nothing changes by then, and travel restrictions are in place with the USA still a Red country, I get all my money back. If by then the UK considers the USA a Green country rather than Red, that changes the whole thing, perhaps I will feel safer going then. I'm secretly rather intrigued to visit the World under reduced capacity. See if rides really are a wait of 10 minutes. Be nice not to be shouylder-to-shoulder all the time. However, I can still cancel even then if I don't actually feel safe enough to go, and the penalties will be just the same as my cancelling now.

My trip is still almost 4 months away. Things could change a lot in that time. Could get much worse, could get much better. Look where the UK was 4 months ago. Disney's policies could have changed by then too...perhaps they'll have upped capacity again so those beneifts might not be so apparent. Or perhaps reduced capacity is still in operation but hopefully any teething troubles will have been ironed out and it's then running a slick operation. Perhaps Park Hopper might have returned.

One interesting point to note is that the election is taking place 2 days into my trip. The powers that be will be doing their utmost to ensure they look as though they've handled the emergency well.

However, as time goes on, it will become more and more apparent whether it's a no-go. Whether any improvement is being made or whether the situation is just getting worse. As I say, for me, there's just no harm in sitting tight for the moment.

PS. I paid in full for the holiday a long time ago. That probably puts me in a different position. I haven't got that dilemma as to whether to pay or to cancel.

Yes....however, my trip is first week in November. I can't cancel voluntarily yet without losing a lot money, specifically the flight which was booked separately. There's no harm in just waiting to see what happens. If nothing changes by then, and travel restrictions are in place with the USA still a Red country, I get all my money back. If by then the UK considers the USA a Green country rather than Red, that changes the whole thing, perhaps I will feel safer going then. I'm secretly rather intrigued to visit the World under reduced capacity. See if rides really are a wait of 10 minutes. Be nice not to be shouylder-to-shoulder all the time. However, I can still cancel even then if I don't actually feel safe enough to go, and the penalties will be just the same as my cancelling now.

My trip is still almost 4 months away. Things could change a lot in that time. Could get much worse, could get much better. Look where the UK was 4 months ago. Disney's policies could have changed by then too...perhaps they'll have upped capacity again so those beneifts might not be so apparent. Or perhaps reduced capacity is still in operation but hopefully any teething troubles will have been ironed out and it's then running a slick operation. Perhaps Park Hopper might have returned.

One interesting point to note is that the election is taking place 2 days into my trip. The powers that be will be doing their utmost to ensure they look as though they've handled the emergency well.

However, as time goes on, it will become more and more apparent whether it's a no-go. Whether any improvement is being made or whether the situation is just getting worse. As I say, for me, there's just no harm in sitting tight for the moment.

PS. I paid in full for the holiday a long time ago. That probably puts me in a different position. I haven't got that dilemma as to whether to pay or to cancel.
The curiosity to be at Disney as I remember it from past times is another reason why I'm holding out. It's just under 10 weeks for me to go and things can change a lot even in that time. However, the powers to be making it look like they are handling it well, which they are trying to kid us into believing, and actually handling it well are two different things.

Well, I've cancelled now. I thought long and hard and decided to wait to see if Disney are going to do offers. If not then it's DLRP next February or March.

Now I've cancelled what's the bet Disney extends the 35% discount for the DDP into next year for bookings for 2020😬

Well, no-one can guess what's going to happen, there's no right or wrong decision you can make. But I bet you're feeling a lot less stressed about it now! That in many ways is enough.
I had a CM call me yesterday in response to an email I had sent Disney and she was excellent. The Trump administration and the Florida governor are just not doing enough with this crisis and quite frankly I expect to see the state shut down again.
To be honest, it's not worth the stress and I'm going to focus on WDW and Disneyland for Halloween next year and maybe get a trip in this spring too. The money will sit quietly for when I book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!