It’s Disney, Four Hours of Sleep is Normal! Mother Daughter 2018 F&W TR! (Updated 9/22!)

Thanks for sharing your WDW adventures in this trip report. It is fun to read about a mom-daughter trip. My mom is past the age of wanting to do that....but this makes me look forward to mom-daughter trips with my now 13 y.o. in about a decade. I hope she will be as thoughtful as you....love the little gift idea....Nemo bath sponges. Too cute! And super thoughtful.

That maple bourbon cheesecake and sparkling blueberry wine look amazing! I so miss Food & Wine this year.

It bugs me when CMs give wrong information without even checking it out. If you don't know, ask someone who does! Glad you two made it there in plenty of time.

and if she could bring back anything from Disney’s past it would be the Tapestry of Nations Parade (but who wouldn’t? So good!)

This gets my vote too!!!! Trying to find a good video of it on Youtube is exhausting and disappointing

We were obviously concerned with Florence coming towards the east coast. If it took a turn to the north, it could hit our family house on the Cape, or if it took the track predicted a week or so out it would have hit my house, so we were both concerned about the track of the storm. Not a fun thing to deal with a trip right around the corner!

Yikes! I really felt bad for everyone planning trips during this time, and knowing they had to worry about home AND getting to their trips

So the week before the trip I hardly slept at all, which turns out, was great practice for being in Disney!

that's what I always say, lol!! Trips tend to fall during stressful periods for me too, so I'm well versed in lack of sleep by the time I get there

Of course the second I got in line this guy runs up behind me, obviously annoyed he was behind someone, he kept sighing like it was the end of the world there was someone ahead of him.

After the reaction from the guy getting stuck behind, heaven forbid, one person, I was slightly overjoyed when I went through the metal detector and it went off so he would have to wait more.

Haha, YES!! This would have been me as well. I'd have purposely gone as slow as I could :rotfl:

This was completely different than what we expected. I thought it would be a sit down place with servers, but it’s just a small room with a bar and hardly any inside seating with most of the tables being outside in the courtyard. Plus you had to go up to the bar to get your food and drinks.

I didn't even know they served food, so you were one step ahead of me in that regard. We eyeballed it a little on our last trip, but haven't ventured in yet

I don’t like olives which it comes with, but my mom loves them so gladly took them off my plate.

When DH gets olives I'm the one who takes his. It's a good system!

There was one family who did just this who ended up sitting next to us and spent the entire time complaining about how many people around them were drinking! HA!

LOL!! Um, it's a bar people!

CBIDODd.gif

We mentioned we were going to Trader Sam’s for our first time, so she made sure we knew exactly how to find it which was much appreciated!

Oooh, yay! Finally hoping to make it on our upcoming visit

eing the nice people we usually are, we let him sit with us. Well, that may have been a mistake. First, he orders a ton of food items, and when they came out they completely took over our table so there was no room for our drinks! Ugh.

Ok, sharing is caring, we can share the table…I don’t mind holding my drink…really not a problem…

But the worst part was, he was one of those Disney know-it-alls, who also has to one-up you with everything! He kept going on and on about how he’s been there thousands of times, and how he knows everyone who works there, and how he knows all the secrets and blah blah blah.

Now I can handle the know-it-alls, we’re all (well most of us) big fans of Disney, so I get it, some people are just much bigger fans and want to know everything there is to know. What I hate is when you say you did something, and that person tell you they did too, but did it WAY better than you. What is the point of that? Can’t we instead talk about how great the experience was rather than you lecture me on how I did everything wrong?

Yeah. So no surprise, we left soon after that guy commandeered our table.

Ew. I get super annoyed by the Disney know it alls...especially when they don't actually know it all AT ALL.

I'm sorry you had issues with the desk figuring out transportation. We always have good luck with uber from the resorts early in the morning...i think b/c it IS early, the drivers are more likely to know what they're doing than the out-of-town drivers that tend to pop up later in the day.

Looking forward to more!!

Sounds like a great time at Epcot eating some great food items!!

It really was, all that food keeps us coming back each year!

It always amazes me when CMs don't have good information. But I'm glad it was a quick walk- and a scenic one!

Seriously! I mean, I doubted the first CM who told us the boats would be running, last May when we were there we saw the Friendships all set out for the day around 7, so had a feeling they wouldn't send them off a whole hour earlier! I'm just glad we were within walking distance, otherwise being told there was no transportation would have been a lot more stressful!

Congrats on booking next year's trip!!

Thank you! So excited for another F&W trip!

That maple bourbon cheesecake and sparkling blueberry wine look amazing! I so miss Food & Wine this year.

Oh my goodness it was sooooo good! I'm actually kinda sad we only tried it once on this trip, but I was on a mission to try something from each booth, so I didn't have room to fit another one in!

It bugs me when CMs give wrong information without even checking it out. If you don't know, ask someone who does! Glad you two made it there in plenty of time.

Yeah, that was a bit annoying. So glad we could just walk though, didn't have to worry about any bad information!

Last edited:
This gets my vote too!!!! Trying to find a good video of it on Youtube is exhausting and disappointing

Oh! I actually found a decent one a while back, let me look for it and post it if I find it!

Yikes! I really felt bad for everyone planning trips during this time, and knowing they had to worry about home AND getting to their trips

Oh my goodness, we weren't even in the worst of it and it was so ridiculously stressful! Heart goes out to everyone in the Caronlinas!

that's what I always say, lol!! Trips tend to fall during stressful periods for me too, so I'm well versed in lack of sleep by the time I get there

Haha! I mean, it really is true. I walked over 100,000 more steps the week I was in Disney than the week beforehand! Same goes for needing a vacation after a Disney vacation!

Haha, YES!! This would have been me as well. I'd have purposely gone as slow as I could :rotfl:

Oh my goodness, I cannot stand people like him! Just chill out dude! Sometimes it feels so good to annoy them just a little bit more!

I didn't even know they served food, so you were one step ahead of me in that regard. We eyeballed it a little on our last trip, but haven't ventured in yet

They don't have a lot of food options, but what they have we found to be pretty good. They also have a pretzel with I think a cheese sauce that looks really good and maybe one or two other things. The beer however was really good, I would definitely recommend stopping in for a flight! Also love that you pick the beers for the flight!

When DH gets olives I'm the one who takes his. It's a good system!

It's always so nice traveling with someone who likes what you don't!

LOL!! Um, it's a bar people!

CBIDODd.gif
HAAAAA!!!! Seriously! It was so awkward. Definitely one of those "should I say something???" moments!

Oooh, yay! Finally hoping to make it on our upcoming visit

YES! It is so good! Like too good. That first drink went down in minutes and boy was it strong! :drinking1

Ew. I get super annoyed by the Disney know it alls...especially when they don't actually know it all AT ALL.

Oh I know! We tried to humor him for a while, but it was just so obnoxious after a while we had to throw in the towel!

I'm sorry you had issues with the desk figuring out transportation. We always have good luck with uber from the resorts early in the morning...i think b/c it IS early, the drivers are more likely to know what they're doing than the out-of-town drivers that tend to pop up later in the day.

Looking forward to more!!

Aw, thanks! Yeah, it didn't go as smoothly as we'd like, but at least we were within easy walking distance! I should have looked into an uber as well, I was on such a Minnie Van kick this trip I completely forgot about that other one!

Thanks for sharing your WDW adventures in this trip report. It is fun to read about a mom-daughter trip. My mom is past the age of wanting to do that....but this makes me look forward to mom-daughter trips with my now 13 y.o. in about a decade. I hope she will be as thoughtful as you....love the little gift idea....Nemo bath sponges. Too cute! And super thoughtful.

Of course, love sharing all the fun my mom and I have on these trips! Fingers crossed for future mother-daughter trips for you! They really are so much fun, no one knows me like my mom, and we're fortunate to travel so well together. Wouldn't want to be there with anyone else!

Day 2, Part 2: EMM at Toy Story Land, Part 1!

We last left off with the media getting into the EMM at TSL at 7:00. At 7:20, the rest of us were let in, yay!

There were CM’s along the way guiding us back to the land and preventing us from going elsewhere in the park. My mom and I were leading the pack which was awesome!

We got to TSL, where there was a large number of CMs there waiting for us, when we arrived they formed a line blocking us, and walked us slllllooooowwwwwwly into the land.

Of course, the majority of us were heading over to slinky, and mom and I were the first ones there! WAHOOO!

We ended up with the first row!

:offtopic: Little aside, I am shocked at how run down the ride vehicles are already! I mean, Slinky’s head and, um, butt look great, but the “metal” slinks are all falling apart already!

Anyways, we ended up in the first row, and soon were off on our first ride on Slinky!

We were pleasantly surprised at how much fun this ride is! It was faster than we expected, a bit more intense than 7DMT. It’s also longer than we expected. We loved it!

We loved Slinky so much, we rode it four more times right after this, with absolutely zero wait. We just walked right back up and onto the ride! We got to try a number of the rows ranging from the first to the last, and surprisingly I found the first row to be a bit more intense than the last!

Love how you can see the sun slowly coming up in these pictures!

After five rides on Slinky in a row, my mom was ready to try something new, so we headed off to take pictures of the nearly empty park.

We then made our way over to Aliens, and hopped on the next ride. It was fun, but much rougher than I expected. The whipping was fun, but it felt at times the ride vehicles were traveling over gravel. Not sure what’s up with that!

After Aliens we made our way over to meet with Buzz! There was a small line, maybe 3 people ahead of us, and in no time we were meeting the man himself!

I wanted to get a picture in front of the giant Woody at the entrance to TSL, but at that point they were doing some media thing there, so instead we opted to go ride TSM!

Next up: EMM at Toy Story Land! Part 2!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fantastic start to EMM!! How awesome to experience a near empty TSL. I love that magic shot with the green army man, I've never seen that before!

I can't believe the guy in Trader Sams. That would make me super uncomfortable, its not like you were at the bar, you were at your own table! Crazy!

I agree about the one uppers. Much more fun to have a conversation about how everyone enjoyed their experience rather than one person acting like they do everything the best. Disney is not a one size fits all so their best way might not be yours! I know so many people like this...and they usually end up getting something wrong in their boastful stories which just makes me chuckle :rotfl:

How frustrating that the CMs were unaware about transportation to the event! Although walking was probably your best bet anyway!

YES! It is so good! Like too good. That first drink went down in minutes and boy was it strong! :drinking1

Ooh, this is both good and scary, LOL!! We have a local Hawaiian restaurant that has good tiki drinks and they're the same way. When we were at the Tonga Room in San Francisco the drinks were STRONG and took a little longer to get through, lol

and mom and I were the first ones there! WAHOOO!

We ended up with the first row!

Yay!! I love all the ride pics, you two look like you're having a blast

Aw, this one is fun!

I'm so pumped up to see this land in person!!

Amazingly, we pushed off 10 minutes before our scheduled departure time!

Sadly, once again, my bad luck with taking off on time hit again. We taxied over to the holding area to wait to take off, then just sat there. The pilot eventually came on to let us know some weather just popped up and we were holding for the time being.

What a suspenseful first entry! Usually travel day updates are not so exciting-- lucky you!! I feel your pain over crappy airport time. Once, I flew home 4 hours delayed, and the airport waited AT THE DESTINATION for 1 hr 58 minutes waiting for a gate. Ugh. Anyway, I'm following along! Excited to hear about all of your special additions!

They are actually bath sponges! So cute!
Oh my gosh I am dying of how cute these are. WANT!!
The scallops were great, but after trying the salmon, did not compare!

This looks amazing. I know you say the salmon was
We were pleasantly surprised at how much fun this ride is! It was faster than we expected, a bit more intense than 7DMT. It’s also longer than we expected. We loved it!
My exact thoughts after our first ride! We loved it more than expected.

Don't remember if I commented earlier that I'm following along!

I'm glad the walk to HS wasn't too bad. There's recent reports that the friendship boats could be down when I'm staying at Boardwalk in December, so I may get stuck walking it!

Love how you can see the sun slowly coming up in these pictures!
Very cool!

Sounds like a fantastic start to EMM!! How awesome to experience a near empty TSL. I love that magic shot with the green army man, I've never seen that before!

It really was such a great start! I couldn't believe how empty the place was! This was one of our top experiences this trip, tied with DAH later in the week!

Isn't that shot cute? When the photographer told us to look up and act surprised I couldn't even imagine what would show up in the picture!

I can't believe the guy in Trader Sams. That would make me super uncomfortable, its not like you were at the bar, you were at your own table! Crazy!

Haha, I know! So weird! You run into all kinds of people at Disney I guess!

I agree about the one uppers. Much more fun to have a conversation about how everyone enjoyed their experience rather than one person acting like they do everything the best. Disney is not a one size fits all so their best way might not be yours! I know so many people like this...and they usually end up getting something wrong in their boastful stories which just makes me chuckle :rotfl:

Ugh, I know. I just don't see the point! It's funny, while he was going over all the special events he's been to, he mentioned he's never been on Highway in the Sky Dine Around since it was "practically impossible to book." We jumped right on that since we've been on it and it most certainly wasn't hard to book at all!

How frustrating that the CMs were unaware about transportation to the event! Although walking was probably your best bet anyway!

Yeah, I don't understand how they couldn't just notify people working the front desk, it doesn't seem like too much to ask! We're lucky we were within easy walking distance!

Ooh, this is both good and scary, LOL!! We have a local Hawaiian restaurant that has good tiki drinks and they're the same way. When we were at the Tonga Room in San Francisco the drinks were STRONG and took a little longer to get through, lol

HA! I know! Another dangerous thing is it's dark in there, so you forget that it's not the night. So after a few of those drinks, heading back outside into the sun is a bit confusing! Definitely felt those drinks when we left!

Yay!! I love all the ride pics, you two look like you're having a blast

Thanks! We were so happy the ride was that much fun! I was worried since it was a kids ride it may not be worth spending the morning there, happy to report I was super wrong!

Aw, this one is fun!

I love finding magic shots we haven't gotten yet!

I'm so pumped up to see this land in person!!

It's so cute! I love all the little details all around. Also loved being able to see it without crowds so we could really take it all in!

What a suspenseful first entry! Usually travel day updates are not so exciting-- lucky you!! I feel your pain over crappy airport time. Once, I flew home 4 hours delayed, and the airport waited AT THE DESTINATION for 1 hr 58 minutes waiting for a gate. Ugh. Anyway, I'm following along! Excited to hear about all of your special additions!

:welcome: Yeah that was a stressful start, but to be fair, I have never had luck flying out of DCA. I think there has been one time now that my flight has actually taken off on time, so I guess at this point I should expect to be delayed! Just happy I got down there around the right time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!