It’s taking forever

Pluto80

DIS Veteran
Our resale purchase is taking soooooo long! The first part with the offer being accepted, ROFL, and us signing contracts was so quick. This last bit is taking ages. Seems as though contracts on the sellers side is holding it up. It’s a couple who is getting divorced (which I know is difficult). One said the other hadn’t signed, and vice versa. The couple no longer speak to each other, so it’s really awkward. Obviously this must be awful for them, and I feel bad for getting mad with them. I don’t want to appear uncaring. The title company are having a heck of a time getting it sorted. We’re now past our 11month booking window and it’s so frustrating as we were expecting it all to be done by now.

Sorry, just needed to vent, nobody I know has the first idea what DVC is, and I know you guys do, just needed an argh moment :-(

Last edited:
Feel for you - waiting is NOT FUN! Hope yours is over soon. :)

I understand the frustration. I've been there. Hang in there!!!

Are you within you contractual closing time? If it's still within when the contract says you will close by, you'll probably just have to wait it out. If you are past the contracted closing time, you could try to leverage that. Reach out to the broker and tell them, "Please relay to the sellers that if they fail to get the documents in by XX/XX/XXXX, I will begin the process of canceling this contract." They may call your bluff (assuming it is a bluff), but it may be enough to get the sellers moving. Noting like a deadline to get things done.

I had no idea there was a contractual closing time. I’ll investigate, many thanks for that :-)

From accepted offer to closing it took us 59 days.
We closed last Thursday now we wait for membership number and points in account!

Good luck!!

After closing, how long does it typically take for our member number and points to appear?

Oh my goodness, I can stop whining now, the deed has been recorded!!!!!!
So what happens next? We're in the UK and this is all new to us....

Congrats! Once the deed is recorded and Disney is notified they will begin the process of setting up your account and adding the points. Depending on how many deeds they have this could take upwards of two weeks. After your account is set up and you receive a membership number it typically takes 1-3 days for the points to show up.

Here's the catch...if you're already an owner you can see all this online by logging onto your www.dvcmember.com account. If you're not, you will receive directions in the mail which will take another 1-2 weeks. I would suggest calling DVC at 1(800) 800-9800 about 7-10 days after the deed was recorded. Ask for Member Administration (option 2) and ask them for your member number. Then you can set up your account online and shave off the last few weeks of waiting. Good luck!

Congrats! Once the deed is recorded and Disney is notified they will begin the process of setting up your account and adding the points. Depending on how many deeds they have this could take upwards of two weeks. After your account is set up and you receive a membership number it typically takes 1-3 days for the points to show up.

Here's the catch...if you're already an owner you can see all this online by logging onto your www.dvcmember.com account. If you're not, you will receive directions in the mail which will take another 1-2 weeks. I would suggest calling DVC at 1(800) 800-9800 about 7-10 days after the deed was recorded. Ask for Member Administration (option 2) and ask them for your member number. Then you can set up your account online and shave off the last few weeks of waiting. Good luck!
Great summary!
In OP's case I'd tell DVC when you call that you want to make a reservation and that you are already w/in 11 months. Whether you wait on the mail or not (which in your case will take even longer that the normal 3ish weeks due to being international) you will need to call once to get your activation code to get your online account up and running. The good news is once you've done that you can pretty much do everything online. Over on the Closing thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/closing-time.3392820/page-181 it looks like people are currently getting their info. from DVC administration as early as 7 days after the deed is recorded on the OC site.
My first resale had divorcing sellers living in different states and that added time, ironically my second contract had sellers living in the UK and even w/ the extra time for mailing/notarizing doc.s that contract closed much faster than the divorcing sellers one. My fear during that whole thing was that the couple would reconcile and decide to keep DVC :)

That’s really helpful, thank you. I’m desperate to get booked! We usually book a package 15-16 months in advance, so this is so hard! We actually have a package booked, but I don’t want to cancel it until we’ve got the DVC one done. I know that now it’s recorded, it’s done, but it’s a just in case feeling!

The first thing I need to do is bank the points that are already on the contract. Is that something I need to do on the website?

That’s really helpful, thank you. I’m desperate to get booked! We usually book a package 15-16 months in advance, so this is so hard! We actually have a package booked, but I don’t want to cancel it until we’ve got the DVC one done. I know that now it’s recorded, it’s done, but it’s a just in case feeling!

The first thing I need to do is bank the points that are already on the contract. Is that something I need to do on the website?
You can bank them online if you like, or you can call and a CM will help you bank them. Likewise, you can book your vacation online or you can call and have a CM do it for you. You'll probably be able to get your membership number and activation code for your online account and book that first stay in one phone call if everything is ready to go on DVC's end and your points have been loaded. Just let member administration know what you want to do and they should be able to help/transfer you to get everything taken care of. Good luck!

So I could potentially do everything in one call? We need to bank by the end of November, but I’m a bit nervous that everything won’t arrive in time for that, especially with us being in the Uk.

So I could potentially do everything in one call? We need to bank by the end of November, but I’m a bit nervous that everything won’t arrive in time for that, especially with us being in the Uk.

Member services just about always makes an exception to the deadline for the first year for situations like that if you simply call and ask. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you miss the deadline, just call and explain the situation and they'll bank them for you.

Yes. Your deed was recorded yesterday? I would guess that by 3 Nov. - 7 Nov. (10 - 14 days from recording) DVC will have everything set up in their system at which point if you call and speak to member administration (not member services) they can guide you through activating your online account, banking your points and making your reservation. Even if you wait for the mail from DVC and then call, you should still meet your end of Nov. banking deadline.

Thank you so much for all your help! We called and now have access to the site, got our points banked with no problem.
Only issue is we've gone to book and the site is down for maintenance!!!!

Sorry to highjack but I am in a similar spot and had a question....

I'm closing in on my window for the contract deadline. If it passes that deadline (November 5) I have the right to set a new date? If the seller doesn't get the contract signed and returned and I cancel do I get everything back. I don't want to cancel but I know the sellers are in South America and as of Friday the title company said they were waiting on the sellers signed paperwork.

We started this process at the beginning of August. and the contract has banked points that will hard to use if they don't get the contract signed very soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter