Italy Adventure July 27th

mcgrawfamily

Earning My Ears
Heading on the ABD Italy trip with husband and 16 year old son. Any pointers on restaurants and also appropriate attire to wear while visiting the churches and Vatican? Also is it worth going to Pisa vs. remaining at the Villa?

Which Italy ABD are you doing?

Anyway, Pisa was interesting and I'd go there just to see the leaning tower. However, don't expect anything else. The area around it has pretty much turned into a tourist trap/shopping venue.

The Vatican is strict on the covered knees/shoulders issue. Plan ahead and pack accordingly.

It's also a good idea to observe the same dress code in other churches. While it may not be as strictly enforced in other places, it's a lovely sign of respect to those in Italy to whom it does matter.

Which Italy ABD are you doing?

Anyway, Pisa was interesting and I'd go there just to see the leaning tower. However, don't expect anything else. The area around it has pretty much turned into a tourist trap/shopping venue.
The one that includes Rome, Tuscany and Venice. Thank you for your recommendation.

My husband and I will be on that same ABD with you! So hello! Or 'ciao' as we will soon be saying! It will be our first ABD and our first trip to Italy. Any idea when we should expect our pre-trip box and/or any additional information from Disney?

My husband and I will be on that same ABD with you! So hello! Or 'ciao' as we will soon be saying! It will be our first ABD and our first trip to Italy. Any idea when we should expect our pre-trip box and/or any additional information from Disney?
According to ABD, they are now sending them out 21 days ahead of the trip.

Sayhello

Also is it worth going to Pisa vs. remaining at the Villa?

@AquamarineSteph covered the dress code well so I'll just chime in with...if you want one of those cute family "holding up the Tower" photos then sure, why not go to Pisa. I'll be honest and say it was a one and done type of thing for me. The semi aggressive street hawkers/vendors really left a bad impression in my mind but I am glad I went, saw, climbed to the top and had my photo taken. I just wouldn't return. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy your trip-Italy is awesome and Venice and Florence are on my To Return list (which sadly keeps growing!).

@AquamarineSteph covered the dress code well so I'll just chime in with...if you want one of those cute family "holding up the Tower" photos then sure, why not go to Pisa. I'll be honest and say it was a one and done type of thing for me. The semi aggressive street hawkers/vendors really left a bad impression in my mind but I am glad I went, saw, climbed to the top and had my photo taken. I just wouldn't return. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy your trip-Italy is awesome and Venice and Florence are on my To Return list (which sadly keeps growing!).
Never "sadly"!!! :D

Sayhello

I think others have covered attire so I will mention food. We did a food tour our first night in Rome. It was wonderful. The company we used is Eating Italy and we did the Twilight in Trastevere tour. They have tours in Florence as well. Highly recommend. We went to non-touristy places. Just wonderful.

We ate at a restaurant in Florence in the Oltrarno area called Osteria Santo Spirito (named for the church in the piazza). We ate outside and it was lovely and delicious - wonderful meat and cheese platter and great gnocchi. We had planned at the recommendation of our guide to eat at Acqua al 2 in Florence the next night, but we were tired and skipped it. Big mistake!!! Those who went raved about it. We later ate at their location in Washington DC (opened by the chef of the Florence location who moved back to the states) and that is now our go to DC place when we want authentic Italian. Delicious!!

Unfortunately, I don't remember the other places where we ate. We just sort of wandered into them.

Laurie

Thanks for the tips. I guess it will be a game time decision if we go or not.

I think others have covered attire so I will mention food. We did a food tour our first night in Rome. It was wonderful. The company we used is Eating Italy and we did the Twilight in Trastevere tour. They have tours in Florence as well. Highly recommend. We went to non-touristy places. Just wonderful.

We ate at a restaurant in Florence in the Oltrarno area called Osteria Santo Spirito (named for the church in the piazza). We ate outside and it was lovely and delicious - wonderful meat and cheese platter and great gnocchi. We had planned at the recommendation of our guide to eat at Acqua al 2 in Florence the next night, but we were tired and skipped it. Big mistake!!! Those who went raved about it. We later ate at their location in Washington DC (opened by the chef of the Florence location who moved back to the states) and that is now our go to DC place when we want authentic Italian. Delicious!!

Unfortunately, I don't remember the other places where we ate. We just sort of wandered into them.

Laurie
Wonderful suggestions thank you!

BTW.... did any of you utilize an anti-theft purse/bag while you traveled around Italy and if so do you recommend any? Thank you

I look forward to meeting you!

BTW.... did any of you utilize an anti-theft purse/bag while you traveled around Italy and if so do you recommend any? Thank you

I have been to Italy three times now and never utilized an anti-theft purse/bag. I kept a hand on my bag at all times. I didn't have all my cash/credit cards in one place. And I tried to remain aware of my surroundings.

Having said that, on a trip to Florence with some friends, several of them DID carry Pac Safe bags. One of them, a veteran traveler who has been almost everywhere, had some horrific stories to tell of pick pockets. It's a crime that can happen anywhere. Even US guidebooks warn about theft and pick pockets in larger US cities in their travel crime sections, so I don't worry about it specifically in Italy. It's something that can happen in any area that's crowded with tourists.

The whole point of the trip is to have fun. If carrying an anti-theft bag gives you greater peace of mind while on the trip, then it is a sound investment for you!

I never do. I have a cross body small Coach purse that I've had for decades and IF I take a purse out with me I take that. Honestly 90% of the time I usually shove my currency in my brassiere, make DH carry my phone (if I want to take photos) and am unencumbered. I agree with PP that if you feel safer with pac-safe then go for it. I hate carrying a purse and am super picky about what purses I carry (I own 4) so it's just a personal thing.

Won't be making our first trip to Italy until 2018 but I have an anti theft purse I absolutely love that I use when traveling. The brand is Travelon; slash proof, RFID blocking locking main compartment. I got the mini shoulder bag. I got it on amazon.

Heading on the ABD Italy trip with husband and 16 year old son. Any pointers on restaurants and also appropriate attire to wear while visiting the churches and Vatican? Also is it worth going to Pisa vs. remaining at the Villa?

In Venice, our Guides sent us to Poste Vecie. The oldest restaurant in Venice per their Website. The Building is from 1500. The Food and Atmosphere are Fantastico! It is well worth it. Google it!

Ciao!

Anti theft purse is a good idea in crowded cities, imo. In Florence, when I went on this ABD, there was a fellow adventurer who got pick pocketed. Fortunately, he had nothing in his pocket and he was a 6'2" judo master, and he flipped the thief on the ground and held him down....police came quick (15 seconds or so).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter