Italy and Switzerland with active teen boys?

iujen94

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are a family with 2 active tween/teen boys. Next summer they will be 13 and 15. We've done ABD Costa Rica and are doing ABD Montana this summer. Now I'm looking ahead to 2019! I'd love to try one of the European itineraries (London/Paris or Italy), but the boys gave those the thumbs-down as "too much sightseeing." I'm wondering about the Italy and Switzerland itinerary. It seems fairly active - might this be appealing to our active teen boys? Would love to hear thoughts from folks who have been. Thanks!

This is an AMAZING trip. I don't know if I would classify it as "active" though. We did a short bike ride to a lake and the ropes course in Zermatt. My son and I did a hike after the ropes course. I wish the trip was more active -- the year before our trip the guides did offer an afternoon hike during time off but our guides did not offer that. The scenery is breathtaking and the food is DIVINE! @CousinOrville did a trip report of his trip I believe. Should give you more insight.

If they want a truly active vacation have you looked at Backroads? They have cycling trips all over Europe that might appeal more to your boys.

This was our first trip and remains our favorite. I think some elements of the itinerary have changed, but we were able to be really active during on your own time. Especially in Switzerland. We were able to do plenty of hiking, paragliding in Zermatt, gondola ride to the ice museum, etc. Of the 5 ABD's this is probably the most "outdoors" trip we have done (even more than the Wyoming trip). I have a trip report in the trip report link if you want to get a sense of the trip.

I also have two active boys, and I have been looking at the Tauck Bridges Alpine Adventure itinerary. It seems to be *very* active.

http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-t...lpine-vacation-yj-2018.aspx?tabPage=Itinerary

Here are some of the active components:

Switzerland's biggest rope park*, the country's longest summer toboggan run*, or a thrilling (but safe) giant tubing slide!*

Then it's off to the Morteratsch Glacier for guided mountain hiking*, rock climbing* and abseiling* (descending via ropes)... a visit to an Alpine cheesery for lunch in a meadow and a look at cheesemaking... and a few surprises!* If you wish, hop aboard a mountain bicycle* for a ride back through the Engadin Valley to St. Moritz,

The afternoon takes you to Innsbruck's high-tech Bergisel ski-jump complex, designed by star architect Zaha Hadid, for a demonstration of the difficult and daring art of ski jumping. Then it's on to your Alpine spa hotel in Längenfeld – the AQUA DOME – offering aquatic fun for the whole family with a pool, waterslides, spa, sauna, thermal baths and fitness center.

during a trip to Area 47, one of the largest adventure parks in the Alps, and Europe's ultimate outdoor playground. Jump into a neoprene suit and helmet, and head out on a whitewater-rafting adventure*; then do some swimming or try out the slides and other attractions of one of the newest and biggest water parks on the Continent.

Depart Austria and cross the German border into Bavaria, where you'll arrive in the village of Ettal this morning for your choice of a guided mountain hike of the area with a park ranger, or a visit to Ettal Abbey.

A friend did this trip with her family, and although they really loved it, she cautioned me away from it. She didn't think it would be active enough for us. She said it didn't really get active until the last couple days. Backroads has a family hiking trip in Switzerland we are looking at. I had not looked closely at the Tauck Bridges trip but I'll put it on the list. I'm not quite ready to commit to anything for 2019.

ABD's Greece trip also seems active based on trip reports, maybe that would be a good alternative?

This was one of my favorites. I wouldn't say it's particularly active though. One of the days in Zermatt had an optional ropes course which was very challenging. It's a very scenic adventure. You take a cog railway up the mountain, boats on Swiss and Italian lakes. There's no museums or sites that take a long time to tour. Food-wise, it's one of the best ABDs. It's hard to summarize. I have a trip report on it if you want to see some pictures. It's absolutely gorgeous, but it's not day after day of active zip-lining, surfing, mountain climbing etc.

Last edited:
Look on the "Other Options" thread. There is a list of other tour providers. In my research, some of them are very active - enough that I did very little digging into the trips, as I had a recent knee replacement and active is not on my immediate future. LOL

Can I ask why everything has to be and "activity"? What is wrong with sight seeing and learning about another culture and their history. All of life is not one big thrill. At that age, kids will choose to be miserable about almost anything really. If you want to go, then you should go especially since you are the adults and paying for it. I understand it is their vacation too but there is nowhere that you go that everyone will be absolutely thrilled and it's their favorite place ever. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I tell my kids that being part of a family is doing stuff that you might not want all the time because someone else would like it. I have been to London and it is amazing and my kids want to go there. Your children are very fortunate that you can afford to take them to Europe on vacation.

Can I ask why everything has to be and "activity"? What is wrong with sight seeing and learning about another culture and their history. All of life is not one big thrill. At that age, kids will choose to be miserable about almost anything really. If you want to go, then you should go especially since you are the adults and paying for it. I understand it is their vacation too but there is nowhere that you go that everyone will be absolutely thrilled and it's their favorite place ever. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I tell my kids that being part of a family is doing stuff that you might not want all the time because someone else would like it. I have been to London and it is amazing and my kids want to go there. Your children are very fortunate that you can afford to take them to Europe on vacation.

I’m sure different people could feel differently about this, but my perspective on this is - in 4 1/2 years my oldest will be off to college, and in 6 1/2 years my youngest will be. When they’re gone, DH and I can and will be selfish and go purely where WE want to go. In the last few years we’ve got together, I’d rather do things we all enjoy. We aren’t looking for an active trip solely because our kids like that - DH and I do as well. That’s why we all loved the ABD Costa Rica trip.

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ll keep this trip on the list of potential destinations (along with your comments) for the family vacation vote!

Hi! We are a family with 2 active tween/teen boys. Next summer they will be 13 and 15. We've done ABD Costa Rica and are doing ABD Montana this summer. Now I'm looking ahead to 2019! I'd love to try one of the European itineraries (London/Paris or Italy), but the boys gave those the thumbs-down as "too much sightseeing." I'm wondering about the Italy and Switzerland itinerary. It seems fairly active - might this be appealing to our active teen boys? Would love to hear thoughts from folks who have been. Thanks!

My family has done Costa Rica ABD and the Switzerland Italy ABD with two kids a little younger and a little older than yours.
The Alpine Magic wasn’t very active. The ropes course was fun but not particularly strenuous or challenging. And there was a couple short hikes.

My kids loved the Costa Rica trip.
They recommend you check out the Norway ABD. That was a more active and outdoorsy itinerary

You might also check out Iceland. We also have an active teen -- he was 13 when we did Iceland on our own last year. Super active and adventurous. We all had an amazing time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!