The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Here. Hope I will be able to keep up. Work has been crazy lately and, well life. Glad Anara and Karilynn can join you. We spent over half of our time in Sicily at an agriturismo and the rest in Rome and day trip to Florence (Firenze). Absolutely loved it. Looking forward to this more (if that's possible) than your other TRs

If you are here as a long-time reader and friend, BENTORNATO!!

That's not even close to my name. I expected you to know me better by now.

No, there is no Disney park in Italy, and no I’m not going to Paris.

Welp, I'm out. See ya!

At some point I may finish up getting my private pilot’s license, but also have my eye on passing my peri-anesthesia nursing certificate, and am starting to think more seriously about getting my BSN to help me be more marketable when I pull the trigger on moving.

I can help you with the BS part.

You might be asking how I could be even entertaining the thought of traveling to one of the hardest hit areas during this Covid outbreak.

Life has to go on at some point!

I found that only one word was necessary (Ouzo) so stopped after that.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

The bonus is that you will also get 2 TRs- one of Italy and one next year of the Greek Isles and Turkey. Huzzah!!

Cool! Should make for exotic reading.

Don’t get me wrong, I love her. I try to spend as much time with her as I can during a fragile time in our lives, and want to give her the best last years at home as I can, so naturally, I did my best to talk her into coming with me. Trouble is… she said yes.

We parents always end up doing this to ourselves.

By the way, our agreement is that she will pay for all of her transportation, souvenirs, and food, and I will take care of museums, extra costs for the AirBnb/hotels (nominal), and incidentals up to $500.

Oh, well then onwards.

Given there are 3 ½ months before travel, I can’t imagine that still being in place. I will however be careful to note any mandatory quarantines for my work as I return. That, my friends, may be the ultimate deal-breaker.

Yeah...they seem to be going away bit by bit, so I'm optimistic for you.

So, this may turn into a girls’ trip after all!

This is really not the time to be an uber-planner!

I’ll keep things chronological which breaks from my usual TR style. Some of you are already saying, “Thank God!” You know who you are.

:rolleyes1

The hope is to be at the Sistene Chapel by 3:30PM for a tour after a 12:15PM landing, transportation to our AirBnb and a quick luggage dump and freshen up.

Wow. No rest for the weary, diving right in.

Not much time at normal computer and harder on phone, so just quick...

I was going to say Vivoli has two gelato stores...one in DTD and one in Florence, so make sure you check that out when you're there. In researching to make sure I rold you the right info, I found out I had been told incorrect information. They have 3 stores...the other being in NY.

Anyway...in case you didn't have it on your list...
http://vivoli.it/en/home-2/
Well worth it.

The hope is to be at the Sistene Chapel by 3:30PM for a tour after a 12:15PM landing, transportation to our AirBnb and a quick luggage dump a
Have you already gotten tickets for Sistene chapel? When we went, just showing up was iffy on being able to get in. Not sure with the pandemic issues if that's still the case.

Do I feel unsafe? The answer is a resounding no. Some may call me cavalier. Others may deem me reckless. I feel I have enough information to know my risk both to myself and others, I know as a professional healthcare worker how to mitigate my liability and am very comfortable traveling. My health is my own responsibility to care for and coupled with both my own personal attention to prevention and those that are put into place by mandates of airlines, restaurants, hotels, etc… I feel no qualms whatsoever.
This is how Joe and I feel. Plus, we refuse to live in fear...
Joe will be so jealous of your trip when I tell him about it. He has spent a lot of time in Sicily.

All caught up on the ABC's Thread, but ran out of steam for replies on this one. Time for some hot cocoa with a splash of small batch whiskey and a wee nip of Contreau. I got a book that I ordered that someone recommended for my trip called City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. @suse66 was that you? @KathyM2 ?? Anyway, so far it's really very good. It's a non-fiction work about residents of Venice whose families have lived there for generations...like 800 years! and highlights the places in the city that we'll be seeing.

More this weekend.....

Here. Hope I will be able to keep up. Work has been crazy lately and, well life. Glad Anara and Karilynn can join you. We spent over half of our time in Sicily at an agriturismo and the rest in Rome and day trip to Florence (Firenze). Absolutely loved it. Looking forward to this more (if that's possible) than your other TRs
I don't imagine a super huge ton of updates between now and then. I realistically only have weekends to write which has put a real damper on my DISTime.

I'll be sharing about the Agriturismo we're doing towards the end. Super excited! Lots to come, but should metered out and manageable. :)

That's not even close to my name. I expected you to know me better by now.

Oops! Sorry, Frederick.

Welp, I'm out. See ya!

WAIT!! I will bring you back a gelato.

I can help you with the BS part.

LOL!! I can assure you, from what I hear, there is a lot of that with the writing of papers etc... that will NOT make me a better nurse.

Life has to go on at some point!

Yes. I can't wait for a vaccine that may or may never be developed. I could be dead by then, and I don't want life (or life) to pass me by. Caution is good, exisiting in a cave is not. Trips to take! Places to see, things to do!!

Cool! Should make for exotic reading.

I hope so!! There is certainly A LOT to see in that area of the world!

We parents always end up doing this to ourselves.

Sigh... yes.

This is really not the time to be an uber-planner!

And just like that IT IS!!! 3 girls out having fun! ::yes::
Wow. No rest for the weary, diving right in.
Well, I'm certainly not going there to sleep!

Not much time at normal computer and harder on phone, so just quick...

I was going to say Vivoli has two gelato stores...one in DTD and one in Florence, so make sure you check that out when you're there. In researching to make sure I rold you the right info, I found out I had been told incorrect information. They have 3 stores...the other being in NY.

I'll check it out. :)

Have you already gotten tickets for Sistene chapel? When we went, just showing up was iffy on being able to get in. Not sure with the pandemic issues if that's still the case.

Yes, I purchased City Passes for us and that is included.

This is how Joe and I feel. Plus, we refuse to live in fear...
Joe will be so jealous of your trip when I tell him about it. He has spent a lot of time in Sicily.
YES!! Caution yes. Fear and never going out, no.

I actually had a little chat on FB with him about Sicily the other night. (He did tell you hi, right?) His trip sounded really amazing!! Well, the one when he did all the touring and time in Switzerland too. Sicily won't be until 2021, though for us. This year, other stuff.... chapters coming up. :)

Hi Terri!! So great to have you along again! :) :welcome: It was so hard deciding/looking for a place to post the TR- there just didn't seem to be a good place that folks that already follow me would be able to see easily. Hopefully, the Mods won't move it. Italy has been a bucket list place for a while for me and I'm so happy to have this chance.
Bring along a Flat Mickey :smickey: and post a selfie with him in each of your adventures, and the Mods will be thrilled! :mickeyjum

We've Arrived, Best Get Going!

Once we've arrived to Fiumicino Airport, Rome's International Airport and a bit outside the city center, we'll go through the process of customs, immigration, claim our bags, etc... But before we leave, we'll have to take care of some business. I mean, we're in Italy, so best start with some coffee. I hear that there are loads of places to grab a quick espresso, so that's first. Hush you; everyone has their priorities. Secondly, I will need to grab a SIM card for my phone. Remember when my phone took a little dip in some water a while ago? Yeah, I'm still paying that phone off. But, now, I am going to be forced to pony up the remaining balance (no small amount because Steve Jobs and Co. are gougers) so I can have the phone unlocked. No unlocky, no SIM cardy. Anywho, with the phone unlocked I will be able to navigate and communicate with our AirBnB hosts as needed. I've heard they run about $40 or so.

Finally! We can hit the road.... er tracks. Train tracks, that is.

After a LOT of deliberation and research, we think it's going to work fine to take the Leonardo da Vinci Express Train from FCO into the Main Terminal in Rome proper and catch a taxi from there. Our other option was a private shuttle directly to our apartment, but that costs a bit more and I figure what we save there, we can put towards a nicer dinner later. So, where is that apartment, you might ask? Well, it's very, very close to the Castel Sant'Angelo and the Vatican, which is on the west side of the Tiber. This, My Friends, situates us nicely to begin our touring off with a bang by going straight to the Vatican and Sistene Chapel.

Now.... not that it will save us any money, but I did spring for Rome City Passes for us. It gives us unlimited public transportation, including out to Ostia Antica a bit later, but EXCLUDES transport from the airport (savvy jerks), admission to many, but not all, museums, archelogical parks, and sites, but best of all, gives us skip the line privileges. With our whirlwind-style touring, it'll be important to maximize every minute! So with VIP Card in hand ( :rolleyes: ) we'll waltz right into the Sistene Chapel like we're besties with the Pope. I have heard from just about every source that the Sistene can be literally overrun with tourons and can be a frustrating cluster for everyone. The pass, along with the tips I've read about taking the RIGHTside door out of the chapel to the Basilica, should shave off a ton of time. Good thing too!

Because from there, after what I guesstimate will be about a 3-hour tour, it'll be time to head to greener gardens. Belvedere del Gianicolo to be exact. From "up there" we'll be able to get a nice panoramic view of the city and hopefully get some nice photos. According to Google Maps, it's only a 32-minute walk there, and that should feel nice after the 13 1/2 hour flight.

At the base of Janiculum Hill (the English butchering of Belvedere Gianicolo) is a cool looking fountain call Fontana dell Acqua Paola. It's on the way to dinner, so why not?

By the time we've taken in these sights, I imagine we'll be starved. Well, maybe not overly so if we've gorged on gelato along the way. I will not rule this distinct possibility out. Europeans in general eat much later than North Americans so I imagine we may find ourselves arriving in Trastevere, an area in Rome known for an amazing array of restaurants, on the later side and I have looked at several options that look tantalizing. If the weather is warm and the air balmy, I'd LOVE to find a place that has outdoor seating in a vine-covered courtyard with flowerpots and such. If not, a table with wineglass or two and multiple plates of pasta will suffice.

With pasta filled dreams of deliciousness, we'll drift off to sleep with a brand-spanking new 3 week trip to look forward to...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter