The ABCs of Greece & Italy! X, Y, and Z, and that Friends is THE END!!! :) See you in Asia and Australia, Join Me THERE!!

Anyway, so far it's really very good. It's a non-fiction work about residents of Venice whose families have lived there for generations...like 800 years! and highlights the places in the city that we'll be seeing.

I don't think it was me who recommended it but I may have to read it!! I do remember hearing stories like this from a water taxi driver we met there. His family had been there forever, but he told us about how most young people now move away from Venice because it's so expensive to live there sadly.

By the time we've taken in these sights, I imagine we'll be starved. Well, maybe not overly so if we've gorged on gelato along the way.

Gelato is a must in Italy at least once a day, if not more! The Flor di Latte flavour was my absolute favourite. It's kind of plain but so so good.

Hopefully we'll all have gotten a good night's sleep, but we all know how that goes. New bed, crappy pillow, new noises, excitement of travel.... 50-50 on whether or not that'll happen.

The first night is always crappy for me.

There are a million "Caffe" places along the way, so it shouldn't be a problem to fuel up. And while it won't be French Pastries, Italian pastries beat American pastries, and I imagine that'll be the breakfast of choice every day.

Sounds like you can't go wrong here.

A FREE attraction in all its rarity.

If it's free, it's for me!

With innovative use of 3D projections, the walls, ceilings, floors, and fountains of these once-grand houses spring to life, offering a captivating look at lifestyles of the ancient rich and possibly famous.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

Apparently, there is a "secret" walkway that puts you right alongside the ruins and gets you as close as you'd get with the paid ticket, but is FREE!

So free is good, but finding secret walkways is even better!

If we're still able to go at all, and yes, I AM starting to worry about this a bit....

I hear ya. I have lots of reservations made for Alaska and no idea if I will get to use them.

I did buy a Rome City Pass for each of us to the tune of $150 pp which includes entry and audio tours of the Rome Trifecta: The Forum, The Colosseum, and Palatine Hill. I imagine a 3-hour tour oughtta suffice.

I dunno, I've heard of some 3-hour tours that didn't end well.

Looking at your Rome itinerary, it does seem pretty full! When I was there in college, my friend and I walked almost everywhere, and people thought we were crazy, but you see so much that way. We had (iirc) 2 days there before we met up with our scheduled watercolor class / tour in Greece (this was during architecture school, remember) and felt like it wasn't nearly enough, so we snuck in an extra day on our way back to Paris. I forget exactly what we saw, but I know it included the Vatican, the Forum, the Colosseum, and the Pantheon. Plus assorted churches. Of course, we also spent extra time because we were required to do a lot of sketching.

That should give us time to not only GET to each spot, but have a little time to see each one.
grand canyon.gif
And while it won't be French Pastries, Italian pastries beat American pastries, and I imagine that'll be the breakfast of choice every day.
:thumbsup2
Audrey smashes a guitar over a Secret Service guy's head.
I have never seen this movie. What the heck is wrong with me?????

That was a rhetorical question. No one has time to list all my faults.
With innovative use of 3D projections, the walls, ceilings, floors, and fountains of these once-grand houses spring to life,
Okay... that's pretty cool!
Free with chocolate is better.
::yes::
I wonder if they stood around the water fountain and talked smack about their boss Trajan.
Of course they did. That's a universal constant.
I imagine a 3-hour tour oughtta suffice.
Again? Fine...
The Mamertine Prison to be exact. Oh, the things St. Peter must have contemplated within these dank and cold walls.
I didn't know they knew the exact prison he was in. Wow!

I don't think it was me who recommended it but I may have to read it!! I do remember hearing stories like this from a water taxi driver we met there. His family had been there forever, but he told us about how most young people now move away from Venice because it's so expensive to live there sadly.

Gelato is a must in Italy at least once a day, if not more! The Flor di Latte flavour was my absolute favourite. It's kind of plain but so so good.
I can see that. Real estate, unless it's already in the family must be astronomical!!

I'm sure we'll try a ton of flavors each day! :)

If it's free, it's for me!

It's a new life motto!

So free is good, but finding secret walkways is even better!

Well... YEAH!!

I hear ya. I have lots of reservations made for Alaska and no idea if I will get to use them.

:guilty: I super hope, but....

I dunno, I've heard of some 3-hour tours that didn't end well.
Heh, I'd give anything to be on a tropical island with 5 other people I liked right now. :rolleyes:

Well, I made it through the introduction.....will keep coming back to read until I get caught up.

OK conquered page 2. I see that Kari has in fact joined in to complete your little trio.

Airfare sounds confusing, but as long as you understand what is going on thats all that matters!

Great to have you here!!! I was wondering if you'd pop in! :hug:

Of course, but now I see I actually only made it to page 3....

This, My Friends, situates us nicely to begin our touring off with a bang by going straight to the Vatican and Sistene Chapel.

That looks nice. When I toured it, the thing was covered in scaffolding.

If not, a table with wineglass or two and multiple plates of pasta will suffice.

My favorite thing about Rome (was not the multiple gropers on the busses) was the places where you could get 1 Primi (pasta) 1 Secondi (carne, pesce or pollo) and either a can of coke or a litre of wine for around 10 bucks. Now granted this was over 30 years ago (at first I typed 20, but rethought the math). What I'm getting at is that wine was cheaper than pop! Yay wine!

New bed, crappy pillow,

I have to pack my own pillow when I travel. If I don't have my special pillow, I can't sleep. It takes up half of a suitcase, which is one of the reasons that we have so many big suitcases when we travel.

There are a million "Caffe" places along the way, so it shouldn't be a problem to fuel up.

Thats one thing I loved about Italy! You could get a great cup of coffee on almost every corner.

And while it won't be French Pastries, Italian pastries beat American pastries, and I imagine that'll be the breakfast of choice every day.

We arrived in Rome during the last week of our 5 week trip. By that time we had grown tired of European breakfasts. There was a place across from our hotel that advertised a Full American Breakfast on a handwritten sign. We were so thrilled for a change we were all over it one of our mornings there.

There is already probably far too much crammed into this day, but trudge on we must.

I know it would be too much for Fran and I to cram in. Even getting out of bed the day after such a long flight would be a challenge for us!

I'd say after such a full morning, and a possible carb overload, we'll be well-deserved of a siesta.

If you're getting to the Coliseum at 10:30, I'm wondering how you have time to do anything after it and before lunch? I know when we visited the Coliseum it was a couple hours that we spent there. You couldn't go down to the catacombs, but I know we went up to the upper level. Now I want to go look at my Europe tour pictures again!

I forget when the siesta time is. I know on the "band tour" part of our trip, we were really taken aback when in Italy, we left the hotel at like 7PM, had dinner and THEN played our concert. We weren't used to starting the show that late and I know people were tired, but the patrons were all just fine with it.

I've watched several POV videos on how to navigate FCO once we land on how to get through customs and immigration and make our way onto the Leonardo di Vinci train that will take us into the city center.

I dont understand what POV is but I would like to do this as well. We had a May Italy trip planned this year that obviously didnt happen but we hope to reschedule in a couple of years. As Ive never traveled internationally via plane I didnt even think to look for information on this but now Ive got loads of time and would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Sadly, the chances of our Italy trip happening this Sept/Oct are pretty dismal. It's time to face that reality. While I won't cancel anything until September 1st, it's time to set our hopes on NEXT September by tacking on extra time, perhaps up to 2 weeks, to the cruise already booked. That's 14 months away and if things aren't back to more normal than they are now, well... we'll have a lot more to worry about than what shore excursions we need to choose for our ports.

Here is the reply that was given to me by my friend Magdalene on my other thread that will shed some light on the situation. She is German, so yes, more of an authority on this than most of us:

"

I really hope your trip can happen. I can give you some more info about the thinking behind the travel restrictions, which might help you in assessing the likelihood of your trip.

While every country in Europe sets their own entry restrictions during the pandemic, there is also the Schengen cooperation. Normally all travel is free between the Schengen countries. But there is a clause for restrictions for emergencies. And that clause was used heavily starting in March. Each country went their own way and it was very confusing. Some restricting all travels, others restricting certain countries etc. Then at some point the European countries got together and at least agreed on how to deal with travel from outside the EU. That was quite a bit later than when travel from EU to the US was banned.

Then, when lock downs were started to be lifted, it was obvious that travel within the Schengen area and the rest of EU needed to become possible as well. Within Schengen, we are just not set up for constant border controls. No country has the man power nor the infrastructure for it. And it is also against the idea of Europe and created far too many difficulties because of the integration of the economies. However, there was a need for some kind of mechanism as to what should be allowed and what not.

A couple of weeks earlier Germany had decided to start easing out of the lock down (which was mild compared to other European countries like Italy and France) and had found a rule as to when new lock down measures needed to be implemented. The reasoning behind that is that a lock down is necessary if there is too much community spread for efficient contact tracing and quarantine. So, it's a manpower limitation in the local health authorities. Once you cannot efficiently trace the contacts of every infected person anymore, you will have uncontrolled spread of the disease. The idea here in Germany was that our health authorities are (now, we got extra) staffed to be able to trace 50 new infections per week per 100,000 inhabitants. And the rule here is that if any county goes over that number they need to take special measures. We recently had a massive outbreak at a meat factory (they found 700 people infected in the factory) which actually resulted in a two week lockdown of that county.

So, somehow that 50 infections per 100,000 inhabitants over the last 7 days has made its way into the European agreements. Maybe because Germany as a federal state had come to this through negotiation between its states and therefore had already done a lot of debate on it at a point where other countries were just thinking about easing the lock down. The number was first installed for allowing travel between the EU countries. Sweden was (and maybe still is) above that threshold and therefore most EU countries still have a ban against travel from Sweden.

The next step was trying to coordinate how to ease travel from abroad into the EU. Again, the 50 per week per 100,000 number was vital. I think by then it had morphed into an indicator of how prevalent the number of infected are in a country and with that how likely it is that a traveler will start a new chain of infections. But, it is actually combined with a second test, which can be called: Do we believe those numbers. There are countries who are just not able to test enough people and then there are those countries who are known to lie about everything. North Korea supposedly doesn't have a single infection... The list of countries who are allowed and prohibited will be monitored on a constant basis (I think they will change their recommendations every two weeks).

Which leads to the next step: When will the US move to the list of permitted countries. I am certain that the US is considered a trustworthy countries when it comes to its statistics, so it will only be the 50 per week per 100,000. So, it is easy math: 328,200,000 inhabitants, so that would be 164,100 cases a week, or an average of about 23,450 cases a day. Obviously the US is far from that number at the moment and unless it comes down to that I don't think there will be a change in the travel rules.

Ultimately, nearly all EU countries have decided to go for a suppression strategy (meaning getting as little infections as possible until either treatment of vaccine are possible) against the SARS-CoV-2, not just a containment strategy (meaning just trying to not let the hospitals be overwhelmed). The reason for that is that there is a consensus that the toll for herd immunity is far too large to pay. With 447 million inhabitants in the EU even a death rate of 0.5% (which scientists seem to think is likely in a scenario where every sick person gets the best treatment available now) and heard immunity after 50% of the population is immune would mean that nearly one million people could die from this. And that's kind of a best case scenario. Most of the deaths would be of the generation who rebuilt Europe after the devastation of WW II.

The lockdown was used to get back to the point where suppression is possible. Therefore there is a very strong motivation to not damage that. In comparison to other countries (like New Zealand) it is far more difficult to do this here in Europe with it being a large continent with so many borders and so much interconnectivity in itself on so many levels (not just economic, but also with regard to education, personal life etc.). So, the dangers of new infection chains coming in from outside of Europe will be continued to be taken very seriously.

Sorry that this got so long, but I thought the better you understand the why of the restrictions, the better you can figure out what it means for your travel plans. To be honest, my advice would be: spring is beautiful in Italy... "

I had tossed around the idea of planning a trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam THIS year, but I just don't want to risk it anymore. To plan an overseas vacation is a lot of work. A. LOT. And I've had to plan logistics a few times already for this one, only to be foiled by Covid. And while I'd have loved back-to-back Euro Vacations, it's just not looking like that's in the cards.

So, new plan, should it come to that, and it's looking like it probably will:

Mikki, Karilynn, and Mikki's friend Hannah (introductions in next chapter) and I will fly out a few days before embarkation and do a bit of Rome then enjoy our cruise of the Greek Isles and 2 Turkish ports. After we get back to Rome, Anara will fly over, and Kari and I will continue on with up to more weeks of vacation in and around Italy with her just as before, taking in all the sights as we'd planned. Mikki and Hannah won't have the extra time to join us for that portion, so they'll have to fly back once the cruise is over. And that's okay; good to mix up the group halfway through.

What does this mean for you? You get a (more) drama-filled PTR/TR with twists and turns each and every post! And I can drag this bad boy out for what will seem like forever for all of you. Muhahaha! On the positive side of things, it also means I can take time with it and drag you through another round of school with me as I tackle my BSN (Bachelors of Science in Nursing). There are a few of you left who "went through" Nursing School with me too and I'll forever be grateful for your encouragement in that.

So moving forward... Come September 1st when we know for certain, I will start to make cancellations and re-book air tickets, etc... Until then, I'm not sure there will be a lot to share. I get to start my first class on the 15th- in one week!!- and am stoked to get this thing done.

Sorry, this took a turn for the "less-active" but one day, travel will happen again, and I'll be here sharing the BFP (big fat plan) as I know it.

Last edited:
Y'all...

I've read your sweet posts and fully meant to get to this thread today, but ended up studying Statistics all day long only taking a break to go get my nails done and take a 30 minute nap. I REALLY hope to get to replies this weekend!!!

You're all the very bestest!

:hug:

I'm so sorry things aren't working out for this year. :( It's been a hard year all around. On a lighter note, your plans for next year sound fabulous!

Sadly, the chances of our Italy trip happening this Sept/Oct are pretty dismal. It's time to face that reality. While I won't cancel anything until September 1st, it's time to set our hopes on NEXT September by tacking on extra time, perhaps up to 2 weeks, to the cruise already booked.
I guess I can't say that I'm all that surprised. I know that the US is one of the countries that the EU has banned.
That's 14 months away and if things aren't back to more normal than they are now, well... we'll have a lot more to worry about than what shore excursions we need to choose for our ports.
:scared:

And I had read Magdalene's post on the other thread and was impressed with its thoroughness.
I had tossed around the idea of planning a trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam THIS year, but I just don't want to risk it anymore.
Whoa! But... I can certainly see why you might be just a little gun-shy there.
You get a (more) drama-filled PTR/TR with twists and turns each and every post!
Because right now that's what everyone needs... more drama. :rolleyes1
And I can drag this bad boy out for what will seem like forever for all of you. Muhahaha!
:lmao:

I finally made it over here… And I can be around for the long haul. I am thinking back on a two volume epic PTR a long time ago, so I have no issue with a 14 months trip report.

Mikki, Karilynn, and Mikki's friend Hannah (introductions in next chapter) and I will fly out a few days before embarkation and do a bit of Rome then enjoy our cruise of the Greek Isles and 2 Turkish ports. After we get back to Rome, Anara will fly over, and Kari and I will continue on with up to more weeks of vacation in and around Italy with her just as before, taking in all the sights as we'd planned. Mikki and Hannah won't have the extra time to join us for that portion, so they'll have to fly back once the cruise is over. And that's okay; good to mix up the group halfway through.

I'm so sorry to hear this news, but I can't say it's unexpected. Damn you COVID. But I think it must be a bit of a relief when you make a decision that you don't have to be in limbo every day with, will it or won't it happen etc, and can make plans. I'm sure it will be fabulous when it happens and your outline of a plan sounds fantastic.

On the positive side of things, it also means I can take time with it and drag you through another round of school with me as I tackle my BSN (Bachelors of Science in Nursing). There are a few of you left who "went through" Nursing School with me too and I'll forever be grateful for your encouragement in that.

OK, I'm rather slow, and I think I remember asking you this the last time you were in school lol...but aren't you already a nurse??? twice? I really don't get how the nursing ladder thing works...what type of nurse were you first? And then more school and work...and now more nurse school? I'm sure it will be amazing lol I am just confused lol.

I get to start my first class on the 15th- in one week!!- and am stoked to get this thing done.

Is this online or in person? Can they teach nursing online???

I'm so sorry you had to join the ranks of us that have had spectacular Europe travel plans cancelled!

But - for next year, find a handheld magnifying travel mirror - I found one that was about 4 inches square. It will absolutely save your neck in the Sistine Chapel. While you definitely want to look up and see it with your eyes, having the mirror allows you to change positions and having the magnifying mirror lets you see a bit more detail as you shuffle through the sea of humanity (at least it was shoulder-to-shoulder 10 years ago when I went).

D is for: DANG, This May Actually Happen This Time!

Whelp, this long ago, aborted trip to Italy is, God-willing, finally moving forward! This girl is so excited, but I have to be very, very honest, it took a long, LONG while to get there again. Covid destroyed hundreds of hours of time, emotional energy, and not a small amount of money over the several iterations of this trip, with planning, cancelling, re-planning, re-cancelling, and now finally, finally(?!) planning once more.

So, I'll pick up here and start this PTR all over again. It's gone through many tweaks since it's first plan. Follow me now, Dear Reader?

The NEW WHO:

This time around, the travelers will be Me, My Parent's, Linda and Bill, my daughter Mikki for the first part, and my daughter Anara for the 2nd part.

The NEW WHEN:

Me, My Folks, and Mikki will all depart the US on October 1st and meet up in Venice. It is from here, well we thought from here, that our Celebrity Cruise departs for several Greek Islands with a stop in Ephesus. Our cruise returns to Venice on the 13th and my youngest daughter, Anara, will fly in and join us. The 5 of us will tour Venice, Florence for a couple of days, then back to Venice. At that point, Mom, Dad, and Mikki will fly back home and Anara and I will continue to do a 2 1/2 week Land Tour of many major sights and regions around Italy. It's been a long time coming!

The NEW WHERE:

Oct 1-2 Travel to Venice
Oct 3 Travel from Venice to Ravenna where the cruise actually departs from
Oct 4 At Sea
Oct 5 Olympia, Greece
Oct 6 Santorini, Greece
Oct 7 Ephesus, Turkey
Oct 8 Mykonos, Greece
Oct 9 Athens, Greece
Oct 10 Chania, Crete
Oct 11 Zakynthos, Greece
Oct 12 At Sea
Oct 13 Venice
Oct 14 Florence
Oct 15 Florence/Venice
Oct 16 Bari, Italy
Oct 17 Puglia Region Tour and Agriturismo
Oct 18 Naples
Oct 19 Pompeii
Oct 20 Amalfi Coast
Oct 21 Naples
Oct 22 Rome
Oct 23 Rome/Ostia Antica
Oct 24 Rome
Oct 25 Tuscany (Montepulciano, Pienza, San Gimignano, Siena)
Oct 26 Tuscany (Petronagno, Montecatini Terme, Pistoia)
Oct 27 Tuscany (Petrognano, Lucca, Montecarlo)
Oct 28 Bologna, Modena, Parma
Oct 29 Venice
Oct 30 Venice
Oct 31 Fly Home

Before I go to Italy, I also have a trip to Disney with @Malia78 and Mary Ellen (some of you may remember her from many years ago on the DIS) for some Food and Wine and a more "relaxing trip". YAY me. If it's okay to say it, I deserve it. It's been an incredibly long and difficult few months with school and some incredibly difficult months of stressful travel nursing before that. I am tired. I need some R&R. I also want some fresh challenges with new photography material and hope to come home with some pretty shots. So, I'll post a few stock shots of some of the places we're going just to revive this thread. I will also likely use this thread for a "live" WDW TR just to keep it on topic. Hope you're ready for a grand adventure!

And now.... starting in Venice:

1660515160531.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!