Itinerary change on 9/9/19 Alaska Cruise

delo4

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>I am not a fancy f
I got an email today that our itineraryhas changed from Tracy Arm to Endicott Arm. There was no reason given for the change. Anyone have any insight? What are the differences between Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm? We have never been to Alaska, so I don’t have an opinion or an expectation, just wondering what the difference is between the two places.

Last edited:
They have not gotten to the glacier at the end of Tracy Arm more than a few times over the past few seasons and were usually subbing Endicott Arm. This way, they have something they know they can almost always get to and don't have guests complaining that they aren't getting what was "promised" (forgetting the fact that they can change the itinerary at any time for any reason).

This was one of the sidebar stories today (here on the Dis)

Disney Cruise Line has made adjustments to its 2019 Alaskan sailings, replacing Tracy Arm Fjord (and the Sawyer Glacier) with the Dawes Glacier at Endicott Arm Fjord.

For the last several seasons, the Disney Wonder has had trouble reaching the Sawyer Glacier due to increased ice congestion in the fjord and has been substituting the Dawes Glacier anyway, so the only surprising thing about this change is that it has taken Disney so long to make it official.

The Wonder begins her 2019 season in Alaska with a 7-night sailing on May 20th, then will sail 5, 7 and 9-night cruises through early September 2019. Sailings for the summer of 2020 have not been announced.

Source: Disney Cruise Line

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-tracy-arm-fjord-from-its-alaska-itineraries/

MJ

This was one of the sidebar stories today (here on the Dis)

Disney Cruise Line has made adjustments to its 2019 Alaskan sailings, replacing Tracy Arm Fjord (and the Sawyer Glacier) with the Dawes Glacier at Endicott Arm Fjord.

For the last several seasons, the Disney Wonder has had trouble reaching the Sawyer Glacier due to increased ice congestion in the fjord and has been substituting the Dawes Glacier anyway, so the only surprising thing about this change is that it has taken Disney so long to make it official.

The Wonder begins her 2019 season in Alaska with a 7-night sailing on May 20th, then will sail 5, 7 and 9-night cruises through early September 2019. Sailings for the summer of 2020 have not been announced.

Source: Disney Cruise Line

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-tracy-arm-fjord-from-its-alaska-itineraries/

MJ

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize they changed all the itinerary’s.

Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm are right next to each other--Tracy is the arm on the left side, Endicott on the right--so you're in the exact same area. I believe that Tracy arm is narrower than Endicott. We went down Endicott Arm and saw Dawes Glacier in 2016 with DCL. The naturalist on board with us hadn't seen it before and was impressed by it, saying you can get much closer to Dawes Glacier than you would to Sawyer glacier. I believe the only time DCL has made it to Tracy Arm in the past 4 years is when Endicott Arm was closed for a little while by a landslide in 2017. And not to worry, pretty much ALL the cruiselines that go there have been going down Endicott Arm, it's not just DCL.

Dawes Glacier: August 2016: picture taken from the Disney Wonder
8-10DSCN0527.JPG

We were scheduled for Tracy Arm this past August, but weather & ice had us change the night before to Endicott Arm. It was pretty amazing

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier is amazing - I was there on the Wonder in September 2017. From what I understand, the glacier has retreated so far at Tracy Arm that even if the ship could get all the way to the end of the fjord, the glacier itself is quite some distance from the ship. Endicott is the better option, and will not disappoint.

My only regret is that all the on-board merchandise used Tracy Arm since that was the "official" destination. I REALLY wish the shirt I got had Endicott instead!

I have been to both. My second time on DCL Alaska, they had to switch to Endicott Arm. They didn't tell us until that day. I had even asked guest services the night before if we would be able to go to Tracey Arm and they assured me that we were going there.

It's probably easier for them to just plan to go to Endicott. That way they don't have people complaining that they didn't get to go to Tracey Arm. They are both excellent. I saw a lot more wildlife in Tracey arm and a lot more cascades in Endicott arm.

We've done Alaska twice, summer 2015 and summer 2016 and both times Tracey was changed to Endicott. It was beautiful, no complaints from us. We saw a lot of wildlife and beautiful scenery.

We just sailed to Alaska this past July 2018 and we visited Endicott. It was terrific! We did the glacier explorer excursion and it was the highlight of our trip! We saw humpback whales and ice bergs and floats on the way to the glacier plus we got some incredible pictures of the ship coming up the fjord. The glacier was beautiful! You will love it!

We loved Endicott Arm and also took the small boat excursion. Tracey Arm is beautiful and i’m grateful we were able to experience it twice, but so is Endicott and we are looking forward to seeing it again someday. I have some photos in my trip report here is anyone is interested:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-wonder-with-four-adults-august-2016.3560012/

Aby

Thanks so much for the awesome trip report. I read the whole thing! We are planning on some of the same excursions that you completed, so I loved having the info. We are a party of 8 adults, all of us have cruised Disney numerous times (this will be #35 for me), however, it will be the first one to Alaska for all of us. I still am not completely sure I will love not having the nice warm sunshine of the Caribbean, but this is a bucket list for my daughter, so I agreed to come along. Your report did give me some things to look forward to.

I’m not a fan of the cold either - I love the heat and humidity but I’ve been to Alaska 3 times now with DCL and I’d do it again in a heartbeat! I’m sure you’ll have a great time! I’m glad you found my trip report useful!

Aby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!