Hanging up my running shoes

IT'S CHICAGO TRAINING TIME!!!
Training update 6/4 - 6/10
giphy.gif

Sometimes I still can't believe we are actually going to be running the Chicago Marathon in 4 short months!! And so this past week kicked off our newest @DopeyBadger training plan to get us ready for the big race and my elusive goal of a sub-5:00 marathon. I'm feeling good and healthy and ready to do this thing!!

tenor.gif

Let's check in on how things went, shall we?

Monday 6/4 - 3 miles at our Easy Continuous pace. We managed the 3 miles at a continuous run, but sort of blew it on the pace. We are supposed to run at 12:29 but clocked in at 11:08. Oops. Let's chalk that up to the excitement of the new training plan, shall we?

giphy.gif

Tuesday 6/5 - 3 miles at Easy/LR pace (60/30 intervals). Good run here. Ran with one of our other Galloway buddies and my daughter Paige joined us. Overall pace 12:10.
Wednesday 6/6 - Rest
DescriptiveQuarrelsomeBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif

Thursday 6/7 - Daniels T paces. Hey, our first time running Daniels T paces!! So, for this we do 1 mile WU and the we did 4 x 0.5 mile intervals at a 9:47 pace with 1 minute rest intervals in between, and then 1 mile CD. How'd we do? Pretty good, I think. These felt easier than the 10k paces we did on our last plan even though we ran for longer periods. We were too fast on the first two intervals, but got much closer on the last 2, so hopefully over time we'll get a bit better at those.
Friday 6/8 - Rest
Saturday 6/9 - Ran with our Galloway group. We are in a group running 60/30 and pace between 12:00 and 12:30, so it basically works with Billy's plan. My daughter Paige ran with us again so love that! 4 miles at an average pace of 12:31.
Sunday 6/10 - 6 miles at Easy/LR. Ugh we had a hard time getting started on this one. We've been doing a bunch of remodeling in our basement with new flooring going down and painting, so Saturday was a huge amount of work down there and we were both exhausted, but once we got the first mile or so under our belts, it ended up a good run. Average pace 12:19.

Total mileage for the week: 20.2

So, there you go! First week of Chicago training wrapped up and very successful.

giphy.gif

P.S. I didn't manage yoga or strength training though. Gotta get serious about that as well!

Yay for Paige running with you guys! That's awesome!

It's been really fun for her to run. She's a bit sporadic, but really doing pretty well.

Love Paige running with you guys! Also, be kind to yourself about that strength training - home renovations should surely count as cross training, yes?

I totally think home renovations should count for something!

PRACTICALLY PERFECT
Training update 6/11 - 6/17
2ff.gif

The "practically" part being key. :( We did miss one run this week, but otherwise it was a good second week of training. Let's discuss, yes?
tenor.gif

Monday 6/11 - Easy continuous run for 3 miles. We are still too fast on these. Boo! 11:26 pace but that's better than last week.
Tuesday 6/12 - Scheduled for 4 miles at Easy/LR pace. This is the one we missed.
giphy.gif

I was up and dressed when my phone buzzed. It was a text from our other running friend and she said she was bailing because of the storms. I was like, what storms? And then I looked outside.

giphy.gif

Major lightening and heavy winds. When I pulled up the radar, there was a big red mass headed our way, so we aborted on the run. We thought about just running Wednesday, but we both had early meetings, so that wasn't really an options, so we ended up just skipping it.
Wednesday 6/13 - Rest day. This day I was at on offsite meeting and it was so much fun. It's a training scenario with role-playing. It's quite intense actually and I went through it as a participant a couple of years ago. This time I got to play a disgruntled employee who made life miserable for the participants. I want to do it again!
giphy.gif

Thursday 6/14 - Daniels T run. We managed to get to the track for this and it was a good run. Total miles around 4.5. We did 1 mile WU and then 4x 0.5 miles at T pace with 1 min RI and then a final mile CD. We were a bit too fast again on most of our T paces, but we were getting more dialed in by the end. This felt good and I enjoyed it.
Friday 6/15 - Rest day. Sort of. We had a party this night at our house to celebrate Chris' promotion and doctoral graduation. So, I took the day off as did Chris to get the house all ready. It was a busy day, but we had a great time.
Saturday 6/16 - 5 miles at Easy/LR pace. This was another Galloway group run. Good run overall. Average pace was a bit fast at 11:50 although some of that is because I went back to check on a group member who had fallen behind. Once I determined he was okay and good to join the next slower pace group, I ran a bit faster continuously to catch up to our group.
Sunday 6/17 - 5 miles at Easy/LR pace. Paige ran this one with us again. Good run overall, although the heat was already oppressive early on. Blech. I did also hear back from the race coordinator that they'll allow her to run the local half-marathon even though she'll be a bit under the age limit. YAY!

So, that's it. One missed run that bummed me out, but otherwise a good week. I'm feeling strong so far and hoping it remains that way!
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f44554b7879427343635878764d773d3d2d3437393838353135342e313465636433333731303235646632663732353438303830323531322e676966

SUNGLASSES!!
okny0uw.gif

AND A DISNEY UPDATE!!
Im+going+to+disney+world+this+is+the+first+time_8b4bc0_5515279.gif

So rather than hijack @SarahDisney 's thread about my own sunglasses, I'll just post about them here. :D

On @Keels recommendation, I ordered some Ro-Sham-Bo sunglasses. LOVE THEM. Super lightweight and all rubber, so I can be as destructive with them as I want. YAY! Plus I think they are pretty cute.

I may need to order some more! (Yes, I have a shopping problem)

I'm also badly wanting to order a customized Yeti tumbler. My sister got one and I was totally loving it. But, it's really just an overpriced tumbler, right? So, I probably shouldn't, but I probably will because I'm a sucker for any and all good marketing campaigns. :oops:

Our summer Disney trip is now 3 weeks and 1 day away. I'm so excited! I really need the break, I can tell you.

We got the girls all set up with TSA pre-check, so I'm hoping that helps with smoother and easier air travel. FP+ and Dining squared away, now just to gather all our documents and plans and dig out the old magic bands and start thinking about what to pack. I'm hoping to go pretty light on the packing as I have some built-in resort days that I could do some laundry and allow us to wear the same clothes more than once. I know enough about Florida in July that they will definitely need a good washing before they are worn a second time. :rolleyes1 But, I'm a notorious over-packer, so I'll try to keep those tendencies in check this time around! We are flying Allegiant, so hopefully, we actually arrive alive! :scared1:

And in a random bit of news...

My son moved out a few months back and our cat, Patsy, who had pretty much limited herself to the basement with my son - because she doesn't like our Yorkshire Terrier, Teddy, has rejoined us on the main floor out of sheer loneliness. However, she and Teddy have still been trying to come to terms with each other. I like to title the following picture: Détente - #catsanddogslivingtogether

Just a quick update.

Chris' dad passed away on Friday night. It was as peaceful and graceful a way to go as most would hope for and he was surrounded by his wife and 4 of his 5 children when he passed. Hospice is such a blessing in a time like this and they certainly helped to ease his suffering. Their kindness and guiding hand made the passage easier. Sad days for us, but the family is coping and moving forward. Doing most of our training runs although we missed our Saturday run not surprisingly. There's some comfort in the physical exertion to be sure.

Just a quick update.

Chris' dad passed away on Friday night. It was as peaceful and graceful a way to go as most would hope for and he was surrounded by his wife and 4 of his 5 children when he passed. Hospice is such a blessing in a time like this and they certainly helped to ease his suffering. Their kindness and guiding hand made the passage easier. Sad days for us, but the family is coping and moving forward. Doing most of our training runs although we missed our Saturday run not surprisingly. There's some comfort in the physical exertion to be sure.

I’m so sorry for your loss, @Chris-Mo and @ZellyB. Sending prayers for you and your family, and hoping you continue to find comfort in your sport, in each other, and with those you love.

Thank you all so much for the thoughts and prayers. This is a crazy difficult time but we will just take things a day at a time. We are looking forward to the family vacation this July

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!