It's about time! Booked the Fort TWO YEARS AGO- finally we're camping 3/19 PTR *updated 1/2/19

So we are adjusting our plans a bit...

My hubby is a HUGE fan of the Conlys and he wrote to Bill Conly a few months before he passed to let him know how much he admired his music and the stories of Ireland.

After a few conversations with Mr. Conly's wife and daughter...we will be heading to Ringgold Louisiana and spending the day and a night with his family...So, we will no longer be heading down I10 but I20. I am excited for this change but now we need to leave a bit earlier and adjust where we are staying overnight. Now I REALLY want to get a travel trailer so we don't have to mess with hotels along the way.

Our 21 month old now recognized Mickey and his favorite stuffy is Goofy <3
I am SO excited to take him. Our 10 year old asked me today "Mom are you 100% sure we are going to Disney next year, or just like 75%?"
Obviously they are skeptical about ANOTHER cancellation. I told her we were doing everything we could to go.

So... I know I SAID I don't do ADRs but since it has been 4 years since we last went, I almost feel like I would like to do something fun for dining...maybe Pirates and Pals Fireworks or a cool themed restaurant. I don't care so much for Character greetings but I'm thinking the toddler would love it. But it could also be chaos if he is totally terrified of the characters. Our 180 window starts 9/5 so I need to figure out our plan of action for that.

I Need your top kid breakfast Character Dining Options to run by hubby- GO.

Our 21 month old now recognized Mickey and his favorite stuffy is Goofy <3
I am SO excited to take him. Our 10 year old asked me today "Mom are you 100% sure we are going to Disney next year, or just like 75%?"
Obviously they are skeptical about ANOTHER cancellation. I told her we were doing everything we could to go.

So... I know I SAID I don't do ADRs but since it has been 4 years since we last went, I almost feel like I would like to do something fun for dining...maybe Pirates and Pals Fireworks or a cool themed restaurant. I don't care so much for Character greetings but I'm thinking the toddler would love it. But it could also be chaos if he is totally terrified of the characters. Our 180 window starts 9/5 so I need to figure out our plan of action for that.

I Need your top kid breakfast Character Dining Options to run by hubby- GO.

'Ohana is a great breakfast. Food is yummy and character interaction is fun. It's Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto. Food is served family style at the table and the characters come around to each table to meet and greet. And there are some fun doings for the kids.
We just did Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House last September and LOVED it! Great selection of foods - some African inspired and plenty of American breakfast mainstays to make everyone happy. Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Mickey - in their best safari attire - come around to the tables. Food is buffet style.

'Ohana is a great breakfast. Food is yummy and character interaction is fun. It's Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto. Food is served family style at the table and the characters come around to each table to meet and greet. And there are some fun doings for the kids.
We just did Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House last September and LOVED it! Great selection of foods - some African inspired and plenty of American breakfast mainstays to make everyone happy. Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Mickey - in their best safari attire - come around to the tables. Food is buffet style.

Both of those sound so fun! If we did the Safari Breakfast, that would get us into AK early on that day too right? Hubs will like Buffet style and I like the idea of some African fare.

Both of those sound so fun! If we did the Safari Breakfast, that would get us into AK early on that day too right? Hubs will like Buffet style and I like the idea of some African fare.

Yes - an early ADR will get you in early. You'd have to backtrack for Pandora, but you'd be right close to the safari if that's your thing.

Hubs didn't seem to want to spend that kind of money on American fare just for character greets so is looks like we will be eating at Harambe

Following along! So exciting that you'll be camping at the Fort! I stayed in the cabins there when I was a kid, but we would love to camp there someday.

We're currently keeping our eyes out for a decent used pop-up. We had hoped to get a hybrid travel trailer so that we'd have canvas bunks but a "regular" travel trailer interior...but we've accepted the fact that a PUP will work much better for our 5,000-lb GVWR tow vehicle (we can get a bit more going on with a PUP within our weight restrictions than we'd be able to get with a hybrid or regular travel trailer). AND, it will still be a major upgrade from our tent. Anyhow...total side tangent but when I'm not researching/planning Disney trips, I'm researching RVs and daydreaming about camping trips.

Following along! So exciting that you'll be camping at the Fort! I stayed in the cabins there when I was a kid, but we would love to camp there someday.

We're currently keeping our eyes out for a decent used pop-up. We had hoped to get a hybrid travel trailer so that we'd have canvas bunks but a "regular" travel trailer interior...but we've accepted the fact that a PUP will work much better for our 5,000-lb GVWR tow vehicle (we can get a bit more going on with a PUP within our weight restrictions than we'd be able to get with a hybrid or regular travel trailer). AND, it will still be a major upgrade from our tent. Anyhow...total side tangent but when I'm not researching/planning Disney trips, I'm researching RVs and daydreaming about camping trips.

I am actually REALLY pushing to get a hybrid before we go to Disney...I love our popup for what it saves in gas BUT it really takes so much more time to set up and breakdown than we have patience for. It *could be* because ours is older so we have to take along the AC and Fridge, which means more to haul.
Plus, if we get a hybrid, we can still stay in the Tent/Popup site and not have to pay the extra for a full hookup site. :)

Popup portal is a great site to get info on the pup...if we stay with pups, I want a high wall with a slide...which is basically as heavy as a hybrid haha.

PLAN:
I have a Plan A and Plan B. Both of which require MK being our first park.

A: Arrive Sunday 3/3 as early as we can, taking advantage of online check in and hit MK as early as possible, then come back for lunch to set up camp if the site is ready.
MON-Epcot
TUE- HS
WED- no park day (hang at the Fort and visit other resorts),
THUR-AK
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

B: Arrive Sunday early, set up camp, Hang at FW and visit some resorts.
MON- MK
TUE-AK
WED- Epcot
THUR-HE
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

We wanted to take a break between park days to recharge and hang out at camp so I vote for Plan A...BUT my hubby does not want to try to leave the park to set up camp mid day, or the evening. If we can get a camper that has a 1 hour set up, we should be fine...PLUS we will be having groceries delivered so we would need to go back to the park anyway.

Hmm...choices choices. I have a feeling we will end up with Plan B, which means MK on Monday so higher crowds.

I am actually REALLY pushing to get a hybrid before we go to Disney...I love our popup for what it saves in gas BUT it really takes so much more time to set up and breakdown than we have patience for. It *could be* because ours is older so we have to take along the AC and Fridge, which means more to haul.
Plus, if we get a hybrid, we can still stay in the Tent/Popup site and not have to pay the extra for a full hookup site. :)

Popup portal is a great site to get info on the pup...if we stay with pups, I want a high wall with a slide...which is basically as heavy as a hybrid haha.

That all sounds perfectly sensible to me!! :-) Yesss, I've found myself drooling over the Rockwood and Flagstaff high wall w/slide pups!

PLAN:

A: Arrive Sunday 3/3 as early as we can, taking advantage of online check in and hit MK as early as possible, then come back for lunch to set up camp if the site is ready.
MON-Epcot
TUE- HS
THUR-AK
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

MON- MK
TUE-AK
WED- Epcot
THUR-HE
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

We wanted to take a break between park days to recharge and hang out at camp so I vote for Plan A...BUT my hubby does not want to try to leave the park to set up camp mid day, or the evening. If we can get a camper that has a 1 hour set up, we should be fine...PLUS we will be having groceries delivered so we would need to go back to the park anyway.

Hmm...choices choices. I have a feeling we will end up with Plan B, which means MK on Monday so higher crowds.

My vote is for A, as long as you can squeeze in the set-up time -- as that gives you a nice "welcome" taste of MK annnnnd builds in a non-park day for enjoying all the awesome Fort amenities and/or resort hopping (the boat between the Fort and the MK-area resorts is such a nice ride!). BUT, I think you could make plan B work as well. Josh over at EasyWDW.com did a post in June about how Monday crowds at MK might not be as bad as we've all thought they are (but that Saturdays are consistently the busiest and Sundays are typically the lightest) -- just one person's analysis and interpretation of wait time data, but an interesting read and food for thought nonetheless.

My vote is for A, as long as you can squeeze in the set-up time -- as that gives you a nice "welcome" taste of MK annnnnd builds in a non-park day for enjoying all the awesome Fort amenities and/or resort hopping (the boat between the Fort and the MK-area resorts is such a nice ride!). BUT, I think you could make plan B work as well. Josh over at EasyWDW.com did a post in June about how Monday crowds at MK might not be as bad as we've all thought they are (but that Saturdays are consistently the busiest and Sundays are typically the lightest) -- just one person's analysis and interpretation of wait time data, but an interesting read and food for thought nonetheless.

Nice- I'll give that a read. I know we will be there at a slightly lower crowd level so Monday may not be so terrible. I just really wanted that off day in the middle :)

PLAN:

MON-Epcot
TUE- HS
THUR-AK
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

MON- MK
TUE-AK
WED- Epcot
THUR-HE
FRI-MK
SAT-Epcot

Depending on how long you are traveling that day, you might really enjoy the downtime at the Fort that first day. Trust me - there is a TON to see and do at the Fort!

Also, just something to keep in mind. It's super easy to get to and from MK when you are at the Fort by taking the ferry. Makes it really easy on MK days to take a mid-day break back at your campsite. We did that a lot - headed back to make our own lunch, have some pool time, etc. So, you could build some down time into your MK days.

That all sounds perfectly sensible to me!! :-) Yesss, I've found myself drooling over the Rockwood and Flagstaff high wall w/slide pups!

We had a Fleetwood Niagara - hard sides, power roof lift, A/C, bathroom, microwave, cable hookup - the works! It was PERFECT for the Fort! This was from our first camping trip to the Fort. We got upgraded to a premium site in the 500 loop - it was great!

IMG_20130818_160011_908_zpsc7cea1eb.jpg

Following :)

Eta:
Our trips overlap a bit! I definitely am interested in the campgrounds there once we get a camper. My man will not sleep in tents. Ever lol

We had a Fleetwood Niagara - hard sides, power roof lift, A/C, bathroom, microwave, cable hookup - the works! It was PERFECT for the Fort! This was from our first camping trip to the Fort. We got upgraded to a premium site in the 500 loop - it was great!

Awesome; I love your setup!! The Niagaras are also on our list of used pups to keep an eye out for. Your tow vehicle looks on par with ours for size/tow capacity (we have a Nissan Pathfinder), so that's good to see. Great pixie dust upgrade -- so close to the Settlement!

Depending on how long you are traveling that day, you might really enjoy the downtime at the Fort that first day. Trust me - there is a TON to see and do at the Fort!

Also, just something to keep in mind. It's super easy to get to and from MK when you are at the Fort by taking the ferry. Makes it really easy on MK days to take a mid-day break back at your campsite. We did that a lot - headed back to make our own lunch, have some pool time, etc. So, you could build some down time into your MK days.

That is what I was thinking too- last time, we walked around Disney Springs- so not us- so hanging at the Fort that first day while we get groceries and set up would be nice. I know we plan on heading back to camp mid day in each of the parks.

Your Niagra is AWESOME!

Awesome; I love your setup!! The Niagaras are also on our list of used pups to keep an eye out for. Your tow vehicle looks on par with ours for size/tow capacity (we have a Nissan Pathfinder), so that's good to see. Great pixie dust upgrade -- so close to the Settlement!

Take the popup plunge!!! It is addicting

Following :)

Eta:
Our trips overlap a bit! I definitely am interested in the campgrounds there once we get a camper. My man will not sleep in tents. Ever lol

We did tent camping before we got our popup, my hubby will NOT stay in a Tent at Disney. He said that is vacation and camping is camping haha...we love the upgrade to a/c and fridge and off the ground. IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3621.JPG

We stayed in the 500 loop that trip and then the 2nd time we took the camper down, we were in the 1700 loop. That one was quieter - further away from the bustle of the Settlement and the campfire. But both were lovely and had their different pros and cons to them. I'm looking forward to when DH and I are ready to retire and go vagabond. We'd like to get something smaller, a class C, maybe a cab-over and spend at least the colder months traveling around. The Fort will definitely be a preferred stop of ours. Even without going to the parks, the Fort is just amazing.

If we went every year, or even ever other year we may not feel the need for that Main Street walk but yup- we gotta walk through the castle on the first day!
We are not big on Disney Springs so we are glad to be able to hang out at Fort Wilderness for that first day. It really will just depend on what time we check in.

We are like minded. I am not keen on Disney Springs either. I am not much of a shopper and my hubby is grateful for that. My kids are like me too. So, more time in the parks for us. When I am not in the parks I enjoy checking out the resorts. And it probably factors in that we do not go every year. The last trip to Disney was in 2014.

I understand your desire to be in MK first but your Plan B looks like the best route to me. That being said, I wonder if just riding the monorail and watching the fireworks from one of the resorts or boat dock would be enough for you the first day after you set up your camp? It sounds like a good plan but I am not sure if I could do the same if I was in your shoes. I think because it is a long time between our trips, and our mutual love of MK we both might say we could do another park first but then when reality hits really want and need to go to MK first. So, maybe you could just modify Plan B a bit and have MK the first park on Monday and still have your non park day in the middle somewhere. As others have said, Monday might not be all that bad crowd wise. And like all DISers say, "At least you are at Disney!"

So we are adjusting our plans a bit...

My hubby is a HUGE fan of the Conlys and he wrote to Bill Conly a few months before he passed to let him know how much he admired his music and the stories of Ireland.

After a few conversations with Mr. Conly's wife and daughter...we will be heading to Ringgold Louisiana and spending the day and a night with his family...So, we will no longer be heading down I10 but I20. I am excited for this change but now we need to leave a bit earlier and adjust where we are staying overnight. Now I REALLY want to get a travel trailer so we don't have to mess with hotels along the way.

That is really touching that your husband's words meant to much to his family. What a nice way to begin your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!