It's gonna be an oven, but WE'RE GOING TO WDW in AUGUST!!! Final thoughts

I've always wanted to see Yeehaw Bob. I'm saving him for our 2018 trip, and hope that isn't a mistake! How late is MK open the night you're going to see him? Could you take a bus back to MK and then walk back to the Contemporary?

Hi, Kathy. I am just starting to read your PTR but I need to take a minute to talk to you about being a single mom traveling. My ex and I divorced when DSalmost 9 was just 3 and I have been traveling with and without him to Disney and other places since then. the thing about wanting to share memories with someone else can be big! But it gets easier and easier. plus- I have a great thing that we do that helps me. We plan to make a book or movie from our trips, sometimes focused on one aspect (like a news video around the world at Epcot, or a book of all pictures taken by Alex). This gives us (me) something to feel like we are sharing the moment even in those unfortunate "parenting on vacation" moments. That's when I feel it the most. When my wonderful child is being selfish and annoying on a vacation with just the two of us, I feel pretty isolated. But knowing it's just a moment in time and it can go in the book (!) is very helpful to me. My trips with just Alex are the best and I have no worries about it now. Even when my mom joins us at Disney, we go our separate ways a lot. Another poster talked about her first trip being really important for proving to herself that she could do it and I second that completely. You totally got this.

How late is MK open the night you're going to see him? Could you take a bus back to MK and then walk back to the Contemporary?

This is a good idea too, I will research that option as well!

the thing about wanting to share memories with someone else can be big!

It so is. I want to make this special for the two of us and something she will look back on fondly and not just that first trip we went on without her whole family being together.

This gives us (me) something to feel like we are sharing the moment even in those unfortunate "parenting on vacation" moments.

This is a really good suggestion and I will definitely think about it. Those parenting on vacay moments can be really hard and I think that is what scares me about travelling alone with my DD. You want to be fun, but still not throw all your normal parenting principles out the window either. I like that idea of having another focus as well, and my dd loves taking pics too. She just got her first phone so I'm sure she will be all over wanting to get her own shots of things (although with that it will be hard to also keep her from focussing TOO much on her device lol...just like me lol)

You totally got this.

Thanks and I really appreciate the vote of confidence. It is kind of scary at first the idea of having to be the only adult on a longer trip. I have done shorter local trips with my kids but nothing this long since we split. I am glad it is to the Disney bubble at least which makes it far less intimidating. I really hate driving in unfamiliar roads and traffic so the fact that I won't have to on this trip is a big load off my shoulders, so I can at least focus on everything else!

Time for some more plans...

I can't believe I am now onto our plans for Friday August 18th...the last full day of our trip :( It makes me sad even to write about this lol because I know how sad it will be on that very day. But...I hope to make it a great one!

The night before we will have been at Yeehaw Bob over at the POR, so I hope that this won't have been a super late night...though, if the reports are true, it will be fun and we won't want to leave. In any case...I have us trying to hit RD at Epcot this day!

Because we hope to hop to another park later, I'm not planning on using any FP+ here. Hoping to get on a few rides standby without a terrible wait. This morning will be a bit loose because as I have said, DD still doesn't know for sure that we are going (she has her suspicions lol) but I want to give her a choice some days about what we do. So I will let her choose what rides she wants to try or revisit this morning. Hoping myself for a little bit of maybe Soarin', Figment, SE...and whatever else sounds good at the time.

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour. I have heard people say you can sometimes just walk up and get this for same day?? Is this true? Because I'm not sure I really want to commit to a time for this, but I'd really like to do it. So if it's really needed to have an advance reservation for this, I will do it. Sadly you can't book this online so I guess I will have to call. I have to try to figure out what time we'll want it though. I don't know how they run..thinking maybe I try to get like...10am? 11am? I want time to do some rides first though...

Anyway...after hopefully doing the Seeds tour...I plan to hit up a QS place maybe around WS for some lunch. I have to get some good ideas on this written down because I find if I just wait until the time comes and then try to find food...end up eating crap I don't want just because it's there and I don't know what else to do...so...suggestions for QS at Epcot welcomed...probably near the Land :)

After lunch, planning to head back to the CR for our usual afternoon break. Because it will sadly be our last day, I may start tidying the room because it will no doubt be disastrous by this point...and start packing. Just so that I don't have to cut short our evening fun because I know that all the packing is ahead...sigh...but hopefully also get in a rest and maybe some pool time or even some exercise.

That night, I have us heading back to MK for one last bit of fun...and because it's so close!! We can hit some rides and maybe do some shopping if we haven't covered that yet :)

Made FP's for meeting Mickey, Buzz and PP but they may be ones we revisit during the trip and change based on what has already happened.

And then sadly....that will be the end...after hopefully a fun but not terribly late night...we'll head back to the CR for the last sleep before we leave...

Our return flight from MCO leaves at 11:45am. But since we are aliens (AKA Canadians) they make us leave on the tragical express a bloody 4 HOURS prior to our flight...so...that will mean leaving at a ridiculous 7:45am...sigh...I guess I can't complain...this is a longer WDW trip than I have ever done in my life and I can not wait!!

But only you guys will understand...WHY does no matter how long you stay...it never seems long enough?? LOL There is still so much more I would like to try to pack into this trip...waterparks and mini golf and the dark side (Universal) and more relaxing time and more DS time and and and....

But then I keep forcing myself to cut it out and be happy with what I've got and not try to push everyone so we will be so tired lol...

So that's it...:))

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour. I have heard people say you can sometimes just walk up and get this for same day?? Is this true? Because I'm not sure I really want to commit to a time for this, but I'd really like to do it.

I can't guarantee this because I've never done it either, but I've heard the same thing you have! I read on a blog I trust that unless it's an absolute must-do for you and you'd be crushed if you missed it that they recommend not booking it ahead of time and just walking up a bit prior to the start time. That way you don't have to plan ahead and can just kind of do it whenever it fits into your day. We're hoping to do this on our trip, too. But I don't think I'll bother booking ahead. I dislike that the only option for booking tours is to call, especially being in Canada. I've already burned through two $10 calling cards calling Disney for various issues and things related to this upcoming trip.

Anyway...after hopefully doing the Seeds tour...I plan to hit up a QS place maybe around WS for some lunch. I have to get some good ideas on this written down because I find if I just wait until the time comes and then try to find food...end up eating crap I don't want just because it's there and I don't know what else to do...so...suggestions for QS at Epcot welcomed...probably near the Land :)

We really like Sunshine Seasons for QS at Epcot!!! Conveniently, it happens to be located in the Land pavilion! We haven't had a bad meal here, and we find the food feels like real food -- last time I had chicken and rice and veg, and Nathan had a pork chop and potatoes and veg, etc.

That night, I have us heading back to MK for one last bit of fun...and because it's so close!! We can hit some rides and maybe do some shopping if we haven't covered that yet :)

Maybe we'll cross paths! It's entirely possible, though not guaranteed, that we may be in MK before and/or after our Ohana dinner that night.

But only you guys will understand...WHY does no matter how long you stay...it never seems long enough?? LOL There is still so much more I would like to try to pack into this trip...waterparks and mini golf and the dark side (Universal) and more relaxing time and more DS time and and and....

I agree wholeheartedly!! I always want to do more and don't have time! But we're also going on the longest trip I've done, and I'm reminding myself to always be grateful for that!

That way you don't have to plan ahead and can just kind of do it whenever it fits into your day. We're hoping to do this on our trip, too. But I don't think I'll bother booking ahead. I dislike that the only option for booking tours is to call, especially being in Canada. I've already burned through two $10 calling cards calling Disney for various issues and things related to this upcoming trip.

Yes I like this idea, just walking up, and I think we will be ok if we don't get to do it, I just think it would be fun and a bit different. Maybe it's a good thing in a way that you can't book online because it would then probably book up months in advance too like everything else lol

We really like Sunshine Seasons for QS at Epcot!!!

This sounds like a great choice...I'm going to research that a bit.

Maybe we'll cross paths! It's entirely possible, though not guaranteed, that we may be in MK before and/or after our Ohana dinner that night.

That would be awesome!! As it gets closer let's see if it would work and a quick hello would be so cool!

But we're also going on the longest trip I've done, and I'm reminding myself to always be grateful for that!

That's what I have to keep telling myself too!!

Yes I like this idea, just walking up, and I think we will be ok if we don't get to do it, I just think it would be fun and a bit different. Maybe it's a good thing in a way that you can't book online because it would then probably book up months in advance too like everything else lol

No kidding! Disney was much simpler in some ways before things became so heavily dependent on the internet...

That would be awesome!! As it gets closer let's see if it would work and a quick hello would be so cool!

Absolutely!

the last full day of our trip :( It makes me sad even to write about this lol because I know how sad it will be on that very day.
I know!!! :sad1: I even go through this a little bit before I even leave for the trip. Because I know soon enough it'll be all over, the planning, the anticipation. But... at least we'll always have the memories, right? :goodvibes

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour.
Yay!!! I hope this works out for you. I've always wanted to do it myself and love seeing the tour when I'm on LWTL. :thumbsup2

But only you guys will understand...WHY does no matter how long you stay...it never seems long enough??
It's SO TRUE. ::yes::

Disney was much simpler in some ways before things became so heavily dependent on the internet...

I love the internet for so many reasons...and in some ways I can't imagine life without it, like way back when you couldn't research everything and even know what's on the menu before you got to a restaurant lol?? But sometimes yeah...life would be simpler if you could just show up and Disney and just be spontaneous lol

Really great for sit down, something-for-everyone option (even though it is QS). Or anything in WS

Yeah I think SS sounds good for a quick meal. I do love me some WS wandering and there are so many good options...but I have a feeling it will be just too hot and we won't have the energy to wander without a known purpose in mind. If by chance we do, I would love to try some ice cream in France....maybe a light lunch and then that lol

Because I know soon enough it'll be all over, the planning, the anticipation. But... at least we'll always have the memories, right? :goodvibes

That's the thing...with SO much planning...you do so much before a trip that it lasts way longer than the trip itself!! We will always have the memories true which is great....sometimes I do dream about being one of those people that lives near Disney...imagine being able to pop in any night after work for a couple hours. Do people who live there do that lol?? Or are there actually people who get tired of it lol

Yay!!! I hope this works out for you.

Thanks!! Me too!!

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour. I have heard people say you can sometimes just walk up and get this for same day??
I've read many, many reports of people signing up for this day of, so I don't THINK you'll have a problem. I've also heard many great things about it!

so...suggestions for QS at Epcot welcomed...probably near the Land :)
pp's have suggested Sunshine Seasons and while we've only eaten breakfast there, it consistently gets great reviews for lunch. If you do decide to walk over to WS for lunch we love La Cantina de San Angel, the QS in Mexico, and that won't be a far walk at all when you get to WS. Tangerine Cafe in Morocco is great as well as the bakery in France.

But since we are aliens (AKA Canadians) they make us leave on the tragical express a bloody 4 HOURS prior to our flight...so...that will mean leaving at a ridiculous 7:45am...sigh..
lol! Even though we only leave 3 hours prior, we had a 7:30am flight last August so ME picked us up at 4:30 :faint: We were at WL and all I can say is, it was neat being out front of the lodge that morning seeing it so early. Very pretty, quiet, and serene :cloud9:

sometimes I do dream about being one of those people that lives near Disney...imagine being able to pop in any night after work for a couple hours. Do people who live there do that lol?? Or are there actually people who get tired of it lol
This is my dream, too!!! I can't imagine ever getting sick of it. I like to think a move to central Florida will be part of my retirement plan. :laughing:

The plans all sound good! I used to like take the DME four hours before my flight. Now that we have TSA Prechek I don't stress so much about getting there on time.

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour. I have heard people say you can sometimes just walk up and get this for same day?? Is this true? Because I'm not sure I really want to commit to a time for this, but I'd really like to do it.

I'm pretty sure you can just walk up and do the tour. Worst case scenario they tell you to come back in half an hour or an hour. Just try to get there for the first one which I think might be 11AM.

I'm just now following along Kathy and I am loving your PTR. The thing that made me the happiest was the fact that there are lots of other people on this planet who are "crazy" planners just like me. My family has a running joke about my pre-trip research and vacation itineraries.....

Looking forward to your trip report in August. I too am planning a trip with just myself and DD but she's 19 so it'll be a breeze. I think you and your DD will make some great memories on this trip and you will be sharing it with all of your DIS family.

As for your recent life change it sounds like you are not alone. Mine was more than 5 years ago now. I think what you will find is that it gets a little easier with time, but will likely never be forgotten. My guess is that you spent a lot of time trying to meet the needs of others and while you still have young children to take care of, you also need to take care of you. Focus on finding the things that make you happy and that will positively impact your children as well as your relationship with them. Show both your son and daughter what it means to be a strong independent woman. Eventually, you will find someone to share your independence with and that person will appreciate you for who you are.

Can't wait to hear more of your Disney story!

I've read many, many reports of people signing up for this day of, so I don't THINK you'll have a problem. I've also heard many great things about it!

Yeah I don't think we'll have a problem...though the crazy planner in me is having a hard time with this...I may just bite the bullet and call and book it lol

Tangerine Cafe in Morocco is great as well as the bakery in France.

The bakery in France I would love to try, if even just for dessert.

We were at WL and all I can say is, it was neat being out front of the lodge that morning seeing it so early. Very pretty, quiet, and serene :cloud9:

Well I guess that's a way to put a positive spin on having to be out the door by 4:30 am lol.

I can't imagine ever getting sick of it. I like to think a move to central Florida will be part of my retirement plan. :laughing:

Right? Wouldn't that be amazing? I wanna be a snowbird too.

The plans all sound good! I used to like take the DME four hours before my flight. Now that we have TSA Prechek I don't stress so much about getting there on time.

I have Nexus, I wonder if that will help me maybe not have to leave so early...hmm something to think about!

Worst case scenario they tell you to come back in half an hour or an hour. Just try to get there for the first one which I think might be 11AM.

I'm thinking I may just call and book it because I do really want to get one early in the day, and not have to hang around too much waiting for it....

I'm just now following along Kathy and I am loving your PTR. The thing that made me the happiest was the fact that there are lots of other people on this planet who are "crazy" planners just like me. My family has a running joke about my pre-trip research and vacation itineraries.....

Welcome and thanks for joining in!! There are indeed lots of great planners on here and they are a great resource!! The research and planning is half the fun!! Makes it go on a lot longer than the trip itself!

Focus on finding the things that make you happy and that will positively impact your children as well as your relationship with them. Show both your son and daughter what it means to be a strong independent woman. Eventually, you will find someone to share your independence with and that person will appreciate you for who you are.

Thanks so much. I am working hard on doing that. Focussing a lot on fitness because that is something that will benefit me and hopefully them too if it keeps me active and around longer!! So far not interested in sharing much other than my couch to watch TV on lol...but that would be nice to have some company for!!

Also hoping to do this day - the Behind the Seeds tour. I have heard people say you can sometimes just walk up and get this for same day?? Is this true? Because I'm not sure I really want to commit to a time for this, but I'd really like to do it. So if it's really needed to have an advance reservation for this, I will do it. Sadly you can't book this online so I guess I will have to call. I have to try to figure out what time we'll want it though. I don't know how they run..thinking maybe I try to get like...10am? 11am? I want time to do some rides first though...

We walked up and did this kinda randomly too. I think it was in December...They had a few times to choose from and the tour was about 45 minutes to an hour. However, I think the earlier tours fill up first. We ended up with a 3:45pm tour I think.

Sunshine Seasons for sure! Or if you want to walk...you can hit up Franch for some Les Halles pastries and sandwiches, but I vote for Sunshine Seasons since it's right there.

YAY! Last night fun memories! I'll wave from Epcot!

Our return flight from MCO leaves at 11:45am. But since we are aliens (AKA Canadians) they make us leave on the tragical express a bloody 4 HOURS prior to our flight...so...that will mean leaving at a ridiculous 7:45am...sigh...I guess I can't complain...this is a longer WDW trip than I have ever done in my life and I can not wait!!

Boo for the extra hour. But yay for the longer trip!

But then I keep forcing myself to cut it out and be happy with what I've got and not try to push everyone so we will be so tired lol...

We're all right there with you! I've had 3 trips this year already and I've seriously not seen Fantasmic at all since last year. LOL. I dont' know how I fit in so much into a week and yet find it is not enough.
But you will have an amazing time. See you in 3 weeks!!!!

We're all right there with you! I've had 3 trips this year already and I've seriously not seen Fantasmic at all since last year. LOL. I dont' know how I fit in so much into a week and yet find it is not enough.
But you will have an amazing time. See you in 3 weeks!!!!

OMG you saying that just hit me...is it really only THREE WEEKS??? Gah!! So excited but feel like there is still so much to do before then. I will PM you my cell phone number so we can make sure when our plans line up before then for at least one or more DisMeets :) Anyone else who is reading this who will be there August 9-19 PM me your number too if you are interested in trying to meet up!!

@chunkymonkey I'm sure I saw at least two perfect opportunities I think one at the Poly and another at AK for potential meetups :)

Trying to post my spreadsheet...let's see if this works:

d25de4ce-b0d5-4133-9122-4fb7a977b7b6_zpsboqk6ohn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

OK this is annoying. Must figure out this picture thing before my trip so I can share more than just a novel with you guys!

Last edited:
Well because I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures ...ugh. I am going to recap our itinerary here in words - just briefly so anyone who will be there can see where we will be on each day and see if anything might line up for a DisMeet!! I have already messaged a few people but PM me if you want my cell number to try to meet up.

Here goes:

Dates: Arrival at WDW on Wednesday August 9th, Departure on Saturday August 19th.

Wednesday August 9th - Arrival day. Arrive at CR around 2pm. Plan to hang around the CR all afternoon, dinner at Cali Grill. No park tickets for this day.

Thursday August 10th - RD at AK until about 1-2pm, then back to the CR for rest, Dinner at BOG at 7:20pm and evening at MK

Friday August 11th - EMH at MK and MK morning until lunchtime, then back to CR for rest and afternoon pool time, then DHS around 4pm, dinner at 50's Prime Time at 6:55pm

Saturday August 12th - No parks day - morning pool at CR, 11:30 ADR at O'hana Brunch, afternoon back at CR then late afternoon/evening at DS, QS dinner

Sunday August 13th - RD at Epcot, stay until around 1:00pm, walk to Boardwalk/BC for ice cream (maybe B&C or Ample Hills), then back to CR, then evening at Poly hopefully with @chunkymonkey and anyone else who can join us maybe at Trader Sam's!

Monday August 14th - Morning at MK, Breakfast ADR at BOG 10:15am, stay at MK until around 1pm, then afternoon break at CR, back to MK around 5pm for QS dinner and evening rides

Monday August 15th - Morning - pool time at the CR, Lunch (Tea) ADR at GF Garden Room 12:05pm, back to CR to change, maybe pool time, Evening - Epcot, Dinner ADR at Rose & Crown, 7:20pm, Evening EMH at Epcot

Tuesday August 16th - Morning, hang at CR, afternoon AK, Dinner ADR at Tiffins 5:30pm (trying to get a later time for this), ROL package

Wednesday August 17th - Morning RD at MK and stay until around 2pm, QS lunch at MK, back to CR for pool time, then evening at POR for Yeehaw Bob

Friday August 18th - RD at Epcot for rides and *hopefully - Behind the Seeds tour at 10:30am, QS lunch at Epcot, then back to CR, then late afternoon/Evening at MK

Saturday August 19th - Tragical Express at 7:45am :(

So if anyone will be in the same place at the same time, let's make it happen!! Or if anyone is visiting the CR while we are lounging around...feel free to say hi!!

Don't judge...since I can't post my spreadsheet...you can't see it but...I do have a ridiculous amount of time allocated to "rest" and "pool" which may or may not happen but I want to allow for it because I'm getting more and more nervous about the heat the closer it gets!!

They had a few times to choose from and the tour was about 45 minutes to an hour.

Our tour was 2 hours long. I thought it was going to be 45 minutes to an hour. We were at 12:30 and originally I had Chefs de France booked for 2PM, but we canceled it a couple days before since we had already been eating too much and we wanted to visit the kiosks more than sit down meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter