It's kind of fun to do the impossible - 32 days of fun and friends - updated December 29

i-32wSRKQ-L.jpg

Day 10, August 17

Key West is calling our name … - part 2

When we moved on

i-PvwZbqc-L.jpg

i-JmqjZpD-L.jpg

i-22pC648-L.jpg

we didn’t get too much further as there was another viewing area along a bridge, where we stopped and wandered along the bridge for a bit to admire the view.

i-SQPj4vD-L.jpg

i-wnzjQCV-L.jpg

i-LrkmJhz-L.jpg

i-b2tpt9h-L.jpg

i-pjjnNG5-L.jpg

And then we went on over land and over some of the many bridges.

i-q99s3vW-L.jpg

i-ZwCrg4B-L.jpg

i-bGDNLPN-L.jpg

i-rWJqtXq-L.jpg

i-cZFFjtZ-L.jpg

i-Jtz4mDM-L.jpg

i-Th9gZWv-L.jpg

i-jZ7nvQf-L.jpg

i-bjZLj2H-L.jpg

i-BpmQ3Ws-L.jpg

i-vLMC826-L.jpg

We were getting closer to Key West, but even after we had been driving and stopping for about three hours after our lunch break, there was one more stop Tom wanted to take.

To be continued .....

That looks like a very interesting drive. Someday Fran and I are going to have to do it!

Once you are out on the keys the drive is so beautiful. You really need to do it, it is breathtakingly scenic.

The views during your drive are gorgeous!

We just love that drive. It is so peaceful and beautiful. It takes us quite a while though, as we stop often to take in the view.

I need to go back to Key West. I've been there for a day on a cruise ship stop and love the vibe. That drive seems really cool.

Jill in CO

The drive is just great. Imagine driving over the Seven Mile Bridge. Awesome. And we love the feel of Key West, so laid back. Maybe one day we can all make it there together.

i-32wSRKQ-L.jpg

Day 10, August 17

Key West is calling our name … - part 3

We were getting closer to Key West, but even after we had been driving and stopping for about three hours after our lunch break, there was one more stop Tom wanted to take.

Yes, another geocache.

We had to turn off the main road and go along an empty dirt road further onto one of the keys.

i-PKnjGhp-L.jpg

The drive was about 2 miles and then we ended at a small parking lot which gave way to several hiking trails.
We parked the car and didn’t believe our eyes, as right next to our car there was a deer feeding on the leaves and grasses.

i-TSgwk3h-L.jpg

i-gLfCtWv-L.jpg

i-VR5w2W5-L.jpg

It didn’t shy away, even when I went to get my camera and we watched it walk around slowly for quite some time until we finally went along one of the trails.

i-7VdZZR6-L.jpg

It was a short and easy walk and within five minutes we had made it to a small deck overlooking a little lake

i-7kfZVPq-L.jpg

and obviously alligators were supposed to live in there.

i-Q4dmWRJ-L.jpg

Didn’t take Tom long and he had found his cache,

i-XhBcB2j-XL.jpg

signed the logbook

i-dC4RbS6-XL.jpg

and we were on our way back.
But not without reading all the information posted along the way.

i-VBjgh9K-L.jpg

It was then back into the car and off we went back to the main road and the rest of the way to Key West

i-Zn3CTBp-L.jpg

i-Cpq9HJ4-L.jpg

i-3fbmZGX-L.jpg

where we arrived about an hour later.
Until now we had always stayed at the Southernmost on the Beach, but after the storm the year before they had raised their prices and I just could not justify the price for this vacation, so we had searched around and finally we had decided on staying at the Truman Hotel.

Now we were looking forward to see if the photos online would do it justice.
When we arrived we stopped at the check in area and were greeted by a very nice host, who explained the ins and outs of the hotel and told us which parking spot to take and then we were handed our keycards and off we went.
First we parked our car, grabbed our carry ons and the cooler and went in search of our room.

As always I had asked for an upstairs room and we had been granted our wish.
Our room was on the upper floor and overlooking the pool.

We opened the door and were in awe.

The room was really beautiful and after taking some photos

i-ZpVjqNZ-L.jpg

i-jBb7Fd3-XL.jpg

i-52Z2XMB-L.jpg

i-NVBNt6X-XL.jpg

i-6rXDWgp-L.jpg

i-r6tzsMs-L.jpg

i-m9VpmSx-XL.jpg

we went back to the car to get the rest of our luggage.
Once we had everything in the room we rested for a few minutes, then we grabbed our shopping bags and drove to Publix to buy some drinks and snacks.

To be continued .....

i-32wSRKQ-L.jpg

Day 10, August 17

Key West is calling our name … - part 4

Once we had everything in the room we rested for a few minutes, then we grabbed our shopping bags and drove to Publix to buy some drinks and snacks.

i-NmXVkgt-L.jpg

We were back in less than an hour, filled the fridge with our drinks and then it was already time for our 7.30pm reservation at Sarabeth’s, which is another restaurant we had discovered on one of our trips and make it a point to return whenever we can.
The Truman Hotel is kind of in the middle of Key West and on the corner of Simonton Street, where Sarabeth’s is as well, so we just had to walk along that one street.
The restaurant is located inside a small former church and is tiny with just a few tables inside and a few outside, so count yourself lucky if you get a table. The Truman was not as far as I had expected from the restaurant and we arrived there 15 minutes early.

But no problem, our table was ready and set and we were taken inside to sit down and decide what to order.
And while we read the menu we were served some ice-water and the drinks we had ordered,

i-dqK3hKR-XL.jpg

i-7NSpBQ7-L.jpg

Diet Coke for myself and Tom had a

i-Svrw8B7-XL.jpg

Key West beer and we were also served some

i-hMgjqWZ-L.jpg

crusty sourdough bread and butter. After studying the menu we had decided to share an appetizer, the

i-83L38kb-L.jpg

i-xFxSthQ-L.jpg

Fried Goat Cheese, arugula, sherry vinaigrette, lime, chili coconut sauce and Sarabeth’s strawberry peach jam. It was more than enough for the two of us and so very tasty. Who would have thought that strawberry peach jam would go with goat cheese, but it went very well with it.
They gave us ample time between courses and so made the experience even more enjoyable. It was then time for our main courses.
Tom had ordered the

i-Db7t37t-L.jpg

i-pvct6tg-L.jpg

Shrimp and Grits, sautéed shrimp, andouille sausage, Parmesan and gruyere cheese grits and beurre blanc sauce, which I was lucky enough to sample and it was delicious. I had asked for the

i-SvDhqGJ-L.jpg

Grilled Local Mahi, topped with mushroom, sweet corn and white wine sauce. Served with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. It was as good as it looked and we both enjoyed our entrees very much.
We were both full but then they tempted me with their version of a

i-kdQ6Zr8-L.jpg

Key Lime Tart. And in the end I was so glad I had given in to my greed and ordered it, as it was light, airy and tart and great contrast to the buttery cookie crust it was sitting on.
Once we had settled our bill we decided that we needed to take a little walk to help digestion. So we strolled over to Duval Street and did some extensive window shopping. Tom even got himself a cigar in one of the shops

i-xwJhFMx-L.jpg

which he enjoyed smoking on our leisurely walk back to the hotel. We even took a little detour and only arrived back at the resort around 11pm. And by that time we had had enough and were happy to fall into bed.

To be continued .....

How nice that your back up hotel was so nice.

This update had far too much coconut for my taste! :laughing:

I love cheese with honey, so it makes sense that it would go well with jam.

The Mahi Mahi sounds delicious. I need to make some fish soon!

How nice that your back up hotel was so nice.

We loved the Southernmost at the Beach, but their prices just exploded after the Hurricane, so I did a lot of research and then the Truman popped up. And we are both really happy with it. Would go back in a heartbeat!

This update had far too much coconut for my taste! :laughing:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I love cheese with honey, so it makes sense that it would go well with jam.

I often have it with honey/honeycomb too, but the combination of strawberry-peach sounded a bit strange. But it was really yummy together!

The Mahi Mahi sounds delicious.

It was. The food at Sarabeth is so yummy!

I need to go back to Key West!!!! They have a dachshund parade on New Years Day that I would love to see.

Glad you found a good hotel and a yummy dinner!

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!