It's Not a Place, It's a Feeling – Nov 2019, Nov 2018 WDW PTRs (updated 8/16/19)

joules12

Mouseketeer

Sooo, that "just in case" room that I booked in Summer 2018, referenced in the intro to my November 2018 PTR below...
well, of course, it stuck and we'll be visiting WDW less than 100 days from now.

In solid Disney-lover fashion, I'm also about to book "just in case" rooms for spring 2020 (= adults-only trip) and fall 2020 (= family trip);
however, that fall 2020 booking REALLY will be a "just in case" room, as we're hoping to buy a used travel trailer next year and that will mean at least one year off from family WDW trips.

November 2019 Trip Overview

Our Trip Dates: Saturday, November 16, 2019 – Saturday, November 23, 2019

Our Resort: Coronado Springs
This will be our first time staying here; however, I did spend a solo afternoon at its pool and QS area way back in July 2000 while my cast member friend was working at Animal Kingdom

Our Transportation: When Southwest released their November airfare in May, the prices were much higher than we had hoped (although not all that surprising given their MAX 8 situation). The more we crunched air travel numbers -- airfare, TSA precheck for at least one of us adults, long term airport parking, a rental car (a must in my husband's book when visiting WDW with our kids and also much pricier than prior visits) -- the more we leaned towards our transportation of choice from last November's WDW visit. We eventually decided to get something on the books and once again opted to reserve spots on Amtrak's Auto Train. We had wonderful experiences both ways on the AT last year, so we're psyched to ride it again...particularly since we've upgraded this year from coach class to sleeping accommodations (still fairly tight, but it should feel great to fully recline and to have less ambient light while doing so).

Our Crew (much of this is copied from last year's details below):
ME =
My first trip to WDW was with my parents and younger brother in November 1982 – a month after Epcot opened (I was back in Epcot 11/2017, almost precisely 35 years to the day of my first visit!). My mom was a public high school teacher and we lived in New Jersey; therefore, the majority of our childhood WDW trips were during the infamous “Jersey Week.”

MY HUSBAND = My husband, on the other hand, didn’t make it to WDW until he was in his late 20’s. [DH’s siblings are considerably older than him and he remains slightly bitter about a WDW family vacation in the early 1980’s that he wasn’t part of – he was a young tot and left home with his grandparents instead. He says that he grew up hearing mythic stories about Space Mountain from his brother and friends.] DH has slowly started making up for lost time on the WDW trips since meeting me!

DD1 & DD2 = Our twin daughters turn 6 in early October and this will be their third trip to WDW. Their favorite ride from last year's visit is Tower of Terror, followed closely by Soarin' and Slinky Dog Dash. This year, they're hoping to pass the 44-inch mark (one of them is already past it), as they're itching to get on Expedition Everest, "the big kid Pandora ride" and Space Mountain. We *think* that Twin B will be tall enough by our trip, but Twin A has already decided to skip EE, FoP and SM it doesn't look like B will be (let me tell ya', that is a rare showing of sister solidarity on her part).

POTENTIAL ADDITIONS = Overlapping some of the days of our visit, my Disney-loving mom and aunt might fly down for a visit with our family in nearby New Smyrna Beach. If they do, they'll stay at WDW for 1-2 days and surprise our girls. I'm not getting my hopes up, but this would be such a lovely surprise for our girls, as they're already bemoaning the idea of a WDW visit without Nana (she's absolutely their most favorite person on earth).

===================================================================================

November 2018 Trip Introduction

Greetings and salutations! I’ve spent a few years happily lurking and searching around the various DIS forums, but I’ve never posted all that much (yup, still earning my famed ears). Well, I think I need to finally change that – or else my brain could truly explode from all the planning thoughts swirling inside it and, even more importantly (since brains may be expendable), my husband might kick me out of the house if I don’t find a more WDW-fascinated audience. He really does love Disney World (he even chose a trip to WDW as our kid-free vacation in November 2017)…but he just doesn’t have remotely equivalent stamina for discussing practically all things Disney or evaluating the minutiae of daily park touring plans.

I’ve had our resort booked for this trip since early October 2017 and I've already booked a “just in case” (HA!) room for November 2019 a couple months ago. To many, that all seems crazy – to you folks, I'm sure it’s absolutely normal! My people!!!

I’m also hoping that this amazing hive of Disney knowledge might provide some feedback as I plan our family’s upcoming trip. And, who knows, I may actually have some useful experience that can help someone else as they plan their trip.

November 2018 Trip Overview
Our Trip Dates: Saturday, November 10, 2018 – Saturday, November 17, 2018

Our Resort: Art of Animation – Lion King Suite
This will be our first time staying at or visiting AoA and we’re really looking forward to it

Our Transportation: Along with our car, we will be travelling to and from Florida aboard Amtrak’s Auto Train. We’ll get on the train the afternoon of Friday, 11/9 in Lorton, VA (about 3 hours from our home) and off the morning of Saturday, 11/10 in Sanford, FL (about 1 hour from AoA). For the return trip, we will board the train the afternoon of Saturday, 11/17. This is another first for us and one that I hope we don't regret! My husband prefers to have a car while at WDW, particularly during trips with our daughters. Although we're taking the train during a pricier time -- right before a holiday and the start of "snowbird" season -- the average per person cost ends up considerably less than the cost of airfare, car rental + long term airport parking (and we don't have to fly with car seats...BTDT!). The train's schedule also allows us to have most of our first day (11/10) free at WDW, instead of tied up with travel. We undoubtedly could have saved more money by driving to FL but, in spite of taking multiple road trips every year that range from 6-9 hours each way, we just can't stomach the thought of a 15-hour drive (especially the return trip).

Our Crew:
ME = My first trip to WDW was with my parents and younger brother in November 1982 – a month after Epcot opened (I was back in Epcot last November, almost precisely 35 years to the day of my first visit!). My mom was a public high school teacher and we lived in New Jersey; therefore, the majority of our childhood WDW trips were during the infamous “Jersey Week.”

MY HUSBAND = My husband, on the other hand, didn’t make it to WDW until he was in his late 20’s. [DH’s siblings are considerably older than him and he remains slightly bitter about a WDW family vacation in the early 1980’s that he wasn’t part of – he was a young tot and left home with his grandparents instead. He says that he grew up hearing mythic stories about Space Mountain from his brother and friends.] DH has slowly started making up for lost time on the WDW trips since meeting me!

DD1 & DD2 = Our twin daughters will turn 5 in early October and this will be their second trip to WDW. HOLY COW, are they excited about this trip! They had a wonderful time when we visited the World in 11/2016, but they really had no idea what they were embarking on and were (of course!) equally excited about flying on an airplane. Their Disney love has continued to exponentially grow ever since that trip – which, in turn, feeds my Disney obsession. They also love thrill rides, so we’re all super excited for them to be able to go on more rides this trip. Sadly, they will not make it to 44” before our trip, but all other height-restricted attractions are on the table this year. Ironically, Twin B is even more of a thrill seeker than her sister but she’s also considerably smaller (she’s already gushing over Space Mountain and Expedition Everest POV videos…someday, baby girl!).

MY MOM = My Disney-loving mom will also be joining us for this trip. She was with us for the girls’ first WDW trip in 2016 (I don’t think we could have kept her away from that even if we had wanted to!), along with my dad, three of my aunts and my uncle. We had quite the crew last trip, so my mom should be able to get some more “WDW quality time” with our girls this trip. In addition to our childhood trips, for many years my mom chaperoned the senior class trip from the high school where she taught. Since retirement, she continues to routinely visit the World with her friends. Having my mom there, DH and I may go out for a date night one evening – or my mom and I may instead! Since DH and I got to have an adults-only WDW fix last November, a date night isn’t as tempting to me as it was during our 2016 trip.

Last edited:

DH and I are going to WDW late Nov-early Dec 2018. I'm looking forward to reading more about your plans!

Welcome and thanks for the follow! I've heard that just after Thanksgiving into the beginning of December is a wonderful sweet spot (decorations, holiday entertainment, crowds, weather, etc) for visiting.

Following along. Shocking, I know. ;-)

So happy to have you along for the ride!

AHHH! TRAIN!!!
I wanted to take the Amtrak from TX, but it would be a 40 hour trip- yikes. We wanted to check out a right after Thanksgiving trip too one year so this will be a fun follow :)

AHHH! TRAIN!!!
I wanted to take the Amtrak from TX, but it would be a 40 hour trip- yikes. We wanted to check out a right after Thanksgiving trip too one year so this will be a fun follow :)

Welcome! We'll see how the train goes! We're excited about it since it's something new and my husband and I have both heard about the Auto Train since we were kids. I've kept our plans for arrival day pretty loose in case we don't get much sleep on the train and need to crash early.

I was hoping to do a trip with arrival the Sat or Sun after Thanksgiving through early December, as I hear it's a nice sweet spot for crowds, holiday decorations and programs, weather, etc. But my husband isn't down with that -- he always wants to be home for all of December since there are so many Christmas-related things we enjoy doing with our girls. Having been to WDW in December before, I'm more than willing to give up some at-home holiday magic for Disney holiday magic.

Argh, deleted post due to formatting woes...that's what I get for working on this way past my bedtime

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear about the train, too. I briefly looked at it but it seemed prohibitively expensive to have sleeping space for 5 people. Are you booking sleeper cars, regular seats, or some combination?

I'm interested to hear about the train, too. I briefly looked at it but it seemed prohibitively expensive to have sleeping space for 5 people. Are you booking sleeper cars, regular seats, or some combination?

After reading through countless reviews, discussion boards, etc — and talking with a few people we know who’ve taken it — we opted for regular seats (hence the cost savings). We’ve always resisted it in the past because we’ve only ever priced out sleeper cars and hadn’t done much research beyond that. Higher than anticipated airfare this year led us to look into it further for this trip. Initially, we considered a combo of seats and a sleeper car, but decided against it for a couple reasons. Fortunately, the regular seats are much better than airline seats, as far as sleeping goes. We also might pack some small sleeping pads since we’ve heard that many families have their LOs sleep on mats on the floor (no idea how that would go, but seems to work well for many). We’ve selected lower level seating — while we won’t get as good of views (but we can go hang out in an upper level lounge for that AND I’m hoping lack thereof will help with sleep) — no one can walk through those areas and I’ve heard they’re just quieter overall.

This may prove to be a failed experiment, but I didn’t *love* the full sum experience of flying with the girls two years ago either (but that IS over quicker!). DH is gung ho about this since he doesn’t care for flying. My mom and I are looking at it as all part of the adventure! We absolutely plan to bring extra water bottles that will contain something other than water.

DH is gung ho about this since he doesn’t care for flying.

Funny, when I told hubby you guys were doing the autotrain, he said, "No way! I'd rather a couple awful hours than dragging it out all night." We haven't flown with the girls yet, so we'll see if he's singing a different tune come March.

Funny, when I told hubby you guys were doing the autotrain, he said, "No way! I'd rather a couple awful hours than dragging it out all night."

I certainly don’t disagree with your DH!!! I’m not at all without some reservations about this decision. We may ultimately be fools for it but, overall, we’re looking forward to trying it. And the savings allow for us to stay an extra night at WDW.

Joining in! I've loved my trips in November, gets you in an early Christmas spirit! It's great that your mom will coming along with you all :) I look forward to hearing your plans!

General Daily Plans (November 2018 trip)
...detailed daily touring plans are neurotically in the works

Friday, 11/9
  • Approximately 3 hour drive to Lorton, VA
  • Arrive at Amtrak Station by 1:00pm (all passengers and cars must be on board by 2:30)
  • 4:00pm: Train departs Lorton, VA station

Saturday, 11/10 (end of Jersey Week; final weekend of Food & Wine Festival)
  • 9:00am: Train arrives Sanford, FL station
  • Depart for Art of Animation resort
    • Stop for beer & wine along the way
    • Groceries pre-ordered to be delivered to resort
  • Arrive at AoA:
    • Check if room is available (very doubtful)
    • Stop at Bell Services: 1) drop off enough luggage to make room for stroller, 2) pick up rental stroller

• Head to Disney Springs:
    • 12:00pm: Homecomin’ ADR
    • Check out some stores
    • PhotoPass Studio
    • The Void???
    • Characters in Flight ride???

• After Disney Springs...
    • Option A: Head back to AoA
      • Check into room when available
      • Get luggage and groceries from Bell Services
      • Check out grounds at AoA (and at nearby Pop Century)??
      • Swim??
      • Unpack, prep stroller and park bag, etc.
      • If hungry, snacks/dinner at Landscape of Flavors
    • Option B (much less likely to happen): Head to Hollywood Studios
      • See a few shows
      • Check out TSL after dark
      • Maybe watch Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM or Fantasmic
Sunday, 11/11 (end of Jersey Week; final weekend of Food & Wine Festival; Veterans Day)
  • Animal Kingdom (9:00am-8:00pm; ROL presumably at 6:30pm)
    • Rope Drop Nav'i River Journey
    • 10:25am: Tusker House ADR (was hoping for slightly later time to better catch breakfast/lunch changeover)

• Possibly return to AoA to swim, rest, etc

• Magic Kingdom (9:00am-9:00pm...will likely change to 11:00pm; HEA at 9:00)
    • Due to MVMCPs this week, this is one of only two nights with HEA this week
    • Maybe ride a few "anytime" attractions, but expecting crowds to be pretty big
    • 7:30pm: Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Party - Plaza Garden Viewing ***
*** Last Nov, DH and I (no kids) were at WDW for similar dates the week prior to Thanksgiving. We headed to MK that Wednesday evening so that we could watch HEA. Since it was MVMCP season, that Wednesday was one of only two or three nights that week that HEA was happening. It was an absolute mob scene for HEA. That made our decision for us that the only way we'd be able to tolerate bringing our DDs (they'll be newly 5) to see HEA is to book a Dessert Party. We're disappointed that guests of the new After party are being seated in the same garden area as Before guests. Fortunately, reports here on the DIS about it still being a positive, fairly stress-free viewing experience, particularly during party season, have been reassuring.

Monday, 11/12 (Veterans Day observed; final day of Food & Wine Festival)
  • Hollywood Studios (9:00am-8:00pm; Fantastic at 8:00; JBJB at 8:30; EMM)
    • Rope Drop Toy Story Land (as nice as it would be to do EMM, we're passing on it)

• Epcot (9:00am/11:00am-9:00pm, Illuminations at 9:00pm)
    • DH and I did F&W last year, but don't plan to pay it much mind this year :sad: other than possibly picking up a couple of our favorite beers from last year
    • 3:15pm: Akershus ADR

• Post-Akershus: Future World -AND/OR- back to Hollywood Studios (TSL after dark, JBJB?) -OR- back to AoA to swim
Tuesday, 11/13
  • Magic Kingdom (9:00am-6:00pm; EMM; MVMCP)
    • PPO: Be Our Guest ADR ***
*** Because this is an Extra Magic Morning, the PPO ADR won't be as advantageous as it often can be; however, we've opted to keep it to stay out of the bulk of RD crowds; if we happen to get ahead of crowds on any ride, that will just be a happy bonus.
*** If Thursday morning's hours remain a 9:00am open -- doubtful -- we'll drop this ADR and do PPO BOG that day instead.

• Lunch: Be Our Guest ADR -OR- Columbia Harbour House -OR- Pecos Bill's
  • Dinner = Captain Cook's, Contempo Cafe, Landscape of Flavors or Everything POP
Wednesday, 11/14
  • Epcot (9:00am/11:00am-9:00pm, Illuminations at 9:00pm)
    • PPO: Garden Grill ADR
    • Rope Drop Soarin'

• Dinner = quick service at Epcot -OR- Landscape of Flavors
Thursday, 11/15
  • Magic Kingdom (9:00am-6:00pm; MVMCP)
    • Based on the past few years, the hours for today will change to an 8:00am open. On the off-chance they stick with a 9:00am open, we will use a PPO Be Our Guest ADR (and cancel the one we have for Tuesday). If they change to 8:00am open, we will drop this ADR.
    • Assuming an 8:00am open -- Rope Drop Adventureland and Frontierland
    • Lunch: Be Our Guest ADR -OR- Columbia Harbour House -OR- Pecos Bill's

• Dinner = Captain Cook's, Contempo Cafe, Landscape of Flavors or Everything POP
Friday, 11/16
  • Our morning is open; we'll revisit a park -OR- explore/swim at AoA and explore Pop -OR- ?????

• 1:30pm: Sanaa ADR

• Animal Kingdom (9:00am-8:00pm; ROL presumably at 6:30pm)
    • Various attractions
    • Dinner = Satu'li Canteen
    • Visit Pandora as it transitions at dusk
    • Tree of Life Awakenings (6:10pm-8:10)
    • We might catch some of ROL sidewalk area, as we did last year, but no plans to watch from the theater

• Back to AoA to finish packing
Saturday, 11/17
  • 9:30am: Boma ADR (it's becoming a tradition for us on departure day)
    • After meal, check out animal viewing areas

• Arrive at Amtrak Station by 1:00pm (all passengers and cars must be on board by 2:30)
  • 4:00pm: Train departs Sanford, FL station

Last edited:
Arrive at Amtrak Station by 1:00pm (all passengers and cars must be on board by 2:30)

Assuming you saw this on your research, but those who don't pay for priority car unload are first in, last out. So, the later you board, the sooner you get it on the back end.

Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Party - Plaza Garden Viewing

Fun! The DDP was our big splurge, so we aren't doing any extras like this. I'm jealous.

Rope Drop Adventureland and Frontierland

Easywdw just did a rd here (which you probably already saw). It looked much more pleasant than fantasyland.

Assuming you saw this on your research, but those who don't pay for priority car unload are first in, last out. So, the later you board, the sooner you get it on the back end.

Fun! The DDP was our big splurge, so we aren't doing any extras like this. I'm jealous.

Easywdw just did a rd here (which you probably already saw). It looked much more pleasant than fantasyland.

Thanks for the heads-up — yes, we opted to pay for priority loading and unloading. But, we do want to make sure we’re onboard at a decent time in hopes of reserving the early dinner slot (reservations are made on a first come, first served basis).

Regarding the HEA Dessert Party, I’d much prefer to do the “get snacks and park ourselves in a spot ahead of time” routine — but those crowds for HEA were wicked crazy during party season last year. I assumed they’d be bigger than non-party season nights, but I underestimated the reality. We considered skipping HEA altogether, but my mom decided that she wanted to do the Dessert Party as our and the girls’ Christmas gifts.

(Edited to add: I’d also much rather be doing one of the Dessert Parties in the other parks!)

Saw the EasyWDW post, but haven’t had a chance to read it yet. We’ve rope dropped AL and FL prior trips and, so far, it’s worked out well for us.

I know of the train, but never used it. Tell us more.

Welcome, @dvc at last ! ! Amtrak's AutoTrain runs from just outside Washington, DC (Lorton, VA) to just north of Orlando (Sanford, FL). Apparently, it's very popular with the snowbird crowd -- but also with WDW visitors who 1) would otherwise be renting a car in FL and 2) aren't up for driving all the way to Orlando. It departs VA at 4:30pm and arrives in FL the following morning (usually by 9:00am). Dinner and breakfast are included in the cost. The train includes dining and lounge cars. Sleeper cars are available for an increased cost over regular seats. As I mentioned up-thread, after reading through countless reviews, discussion boards, etc — and talking with a few people we know who’ve taken it — we opted for regular seats. Initially, we considered a combo of seats and a sleeper car, but decided against it for a couple reasons. Fortunately, the regular seats are reportedly much better than airline seats, as far as sleeping goes. We’ve also selected lower level seating — while we won’t get as good of views (but we can go hang out in an upper level lounge for that AND I’m hoping lack thereof will help with sleep) — no one can walk through those areas and I’ve heard they’re just quieter overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter