It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

I'm sorry this is so off topic but I'm going to take the contrary position. I had been left out of an aunt's wedding (age 4-prime flower girl age!) and so when I got married I made sure to invite all children, had 4 flower girls, etc. Well...my (then) SIL brought her 8 month old infant who had recently been ill with a virus. I was violently ill the day after my wedding, as was my maid of honor, and flights/trips, etc were cancelled. The B&B where we held the wedding had to close (the owners got ill as well) and we had to pay extra for that. It was kind of a nightmare. Ex-SIL still swears it wasn't her child. Nineteen years later I still shudder at the memory and photos of ex nephew makes me green.:crazy2:

After that experience I am much more sympathetic to allowing people to invite whom they want for whatever reason they want. It's their day, after all.

My thought is - you get to invite who you want. However, if you don't want to invite children (fine), you aren't allowed to get huffy/mad if people decide not to attend because they don't want to/can't leave their children. Equally, you don't have to accept any/all invitations that you get, however, you don't get to call people names because of who they have on their invitation list.

Having said that - I'm the person hanging out at the kids table!

I'm sorry this is so off topic but I'm going to take the contrary position. I had been left out of an aunt's wedding (age 4-prime flower girl age!) and so when I got married I made sure to invite all children, had 4 flower girls, etc. Well...my (then) SIL brought her 8 month old infant who had recently been ill with a virus. I was violently ill the day after my wedding, as was my maid of honor, and flights/trips, etc were cancelled. The B&B where we held the wedding had to close (the owners got ill as well) and we had to pay extra for that. It was kind of a nightmare. Ex-SIL still swears it wasn't her child. Nineteen years later I still shudder at the memory and photos of ex nephew makes me green.:crazy2:

After that experience I am much more sympathetic to allowing people to invite whom they want for whatever reason they want. It's their day, after all.

I agree with you on this one. We had all kids at ours, with full kids meals and entertainment for the little ones.

What bothers me is that my niece invited 1 of my sister's kids, but not the other 2. To me it should be "all or nothing". Maybe I'm old-fashioned (probably am). How are my sister's boys going to feel knowing they were deliberately left out and made to sit in a hotel room? I don't like the optics of that.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I am going to look at flights and see what is available on Sunday (the day after her wedding). I'd just feel badly if my brother had no family at the wedding (since I doubt my sister is going to go -- and she was looking forward to it).

I agree with you on this one. We had all kids at ours, with full kids meals and entertainment for the little ones.

We did, too! Some of the best photos are the littles playing with horses grazing in the background (it was near the Blue Ridge mountains).

I don't like the optics of that.

I don't blame you a bit-that said, some boys would be relieved to know they didn't have to dress up, behave and sit through a dull (because, let's face it, I doubt there will be anything fun for the kids there) family event. Obviously I don't know them and you do but weddings can be pretty boooooring.

I'd just feel badly if my brother had no family at the wedding (since I doubt my sister is going to go -- and she was looking forward to it).

That makes complete sense and kudos for wanting to be there for your brother. I feel sorry for your sister, especially since she was looking forward to it. You, OTOH have Japan to anticipate!!!

Just got an email from our airline, our return flight time is pushed a couple of hours....more time in Tokyo Disney before we head home!!.

@sayhello - I believe you are also flying ANA - the email says they are reaching out to the nearest departures first. We are on the April departure; not sure if your flights for May are also changed,

Just got an email from our airline, our return flight time is pushed a couple of hours....more time in Tokyo Disney before we head home!!.

@sayhello - I believe you are also flying ANA - the email says they are reaching out to the nearest departures first. We are on the April departure; not sure if your flights for May are also changed,
Yes, I got an email today that my ANA flight home in May got pushed, but it's only by 45 minutes. That's OK, it's an extra 45 minutes in Tokyo Disney Resort!! I had a 6 hour layover in Los Angeles anyways. I'm just as happy to have the extra time in TDR and 45 less minutes in LAX!

Sayhello

We are doing an add-on TDL package via the park, and it includes A and D FastPasses. Anyone know how each is used ? I have been trying to get a straight answer via Google et al, but am not finding anything. Thanks!

We are doing an add-on TDL package via the park, and it includes A and D FastPasses. Anyone know how each is used ? I have been trying to get a straight answer via Google et al, but am not finding anything. Thanks!

On a side note while on the TDR website I noticed Mt. Prometheus will have construction going on from March 2019 to late October 2020.

Attachments

• 4EB4000B-1BFD-4B8A-BAB4-EB6B21BC925F.png
    4EB4000B-1BFD-4B8A-BAB4-EB6B21BC925F.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 10

I have a question for those on this ABD. Which airport are you flying into?

Our flight into Kansai direct from Vancouver was cancelled. I am now on a flight from Toronto to Shanghai, then Shanghai to Kansai (both legs in business class). My TA confirmed that Kansai is 90 mins from the hotel.

There is another flight from Toronto to Montreal, Montreal to Tokyo, Tokyo to Itami (only the first 2 legs in business class, the last leg -- 1 hr 25 mins -- in economy class on a 737) that is available. According to my TA Itami is just 45 mins to the hotel. This flight lands an hour earlier.

So my question is, which flight would you choose? Since I am almost 6' tall (with long legs), I am not comfortable in economy class, but I could maybe squeeze in for 1 hr 25 mins. Of course the next issue is where would that put us in the customs line (coming from way far back in the plane).

Thoughts?!

I did ask Air Canada if I could purchase a ticket in business class for the Tokyo to Itami leg (which is on ANA), but they said that this would mean they would not check my luggage through to Itami (so I'd have to pick it up in Tokyo and re-check it in), which adds time and there also may be a language barrier.

I have a question for those on this ABD. Which airport are you flying into?

Our flight into Kansai direct from Vancouver was cancelled. I am now on a flight from Toronto to Shanghai, then Shanghai to Kansai (both legs in business class). My TA confirmed that Kansai is 90 mins from the hotel.

There is another flight from Toronto to Montreal, Montreal to Tokyo, Tokyo to Itami (only the first 2 legs in business class, the last leg -- 1 hr 25 mins -- in economy class on a 737) that is available. According to my TA Itami is just 45 mins to the hotel. This flight lands an hour earlier.

So my question is, which flight would you choose? Since I am almost 6' tall (with long legs), I am not comfortable in economy class, but I could maybe squeeze in for 1 hr 25 mins. Of course the next issue is where would that put us in the customs line (coming from way far back in the plane).

Thoughts?!

I did ask Air Canada if I could purchase a ticket in business class for the Tokyo to Itami leg (which is on ANA), but they said that this would mean they would not check my luggage through to Itami (so I'd have to pick it up in Tokyo and re-check it in), which adds time and there also may be a language barrier.
I'm flying from Columbus to Chicago to Tokyo (Narita) to Itami. Be careful, because a LOT of the flights I saw that went through Tokyo to Itami actually flew into one Tokyo airport, and required you to get yourself to the other Tokyo airport. I'm SO not doing that! The flights from Tokyo to Itami are, as far as I can tell, commuter-type flights, and I'm really nervous about that. (I had a similar flight from Madrid to Barcelona, and the seats were so close together, the back of the seat in front of me was practically at my nose. I got SO ILL on that flight! I'm hoping that ANA is more civilized than Iberia, but I guess I'll find out.)

Personally, I'd go for the Toronto to Shanghai to Kansai flight. I would rather not have to deal with the Tokyo to Osaka flight, plus, Air Canada lost my suitcase between Toronto & Montreal, and it took them 3 days to get it to me.

Sayhello

We are flying LAX to Kansai thru Tokyo Haneda on ANA. We will get our luggage & go thru immigration & customs in Tokyo, then drop the bags for the flight to Osaka. I’ve talked with ANA & this seems to be a common thing, and the rep said there are people in Haneda to assist with the transfer. We drop the bags in the international arrival terminal & then take a shuttle to pick up the domestic flight in the other terminal.

That said, I think I’d go with the flights thru Shanghai only because it is two legs rather than three, and both are business class. Flying that long, I’d not want be cramped for the last 90 minutes.

We are flying LAX to Kansai thru Tokyo Haneda on ANA. We will get our luggage & go thru immigration & customs in Tokyo, then drop the bags for the flight to Osaka. I’ve talked with ANA & this seems to be a common thing, and the rep said there are people in Haneda to assist with the transfer. We drop the bags in the international arrival terminal & then take a shuttle to pick up the domestic flight in the other terminal.

That said, I think I’d go with the flights thru Shanghai only because it is two legs rather than three, and both are business class. Flying that long, I’d not want be cramped for the last 90 minutes.

That's what I'm thinking too. One less connection to have to worry about and business class on both legs.

I'm hoping that I don't fall asleep on the car ride from Kansai to the Hyatt. A ninety minute drive after flying that long and I'm sure to be super tired!

I'm flying from Columbus to Chicago to Tokyo (Narita) to Itami. Be careful, because a LOT of the flights I saw that went through Tokyo to Itami actually flew into one Tokyo airport, and required you to get yourself to the other Tokyo airport. I'm SO not doing that! The flights from Tokyo to Itami are, as far as I can tell, commuter-type flights, and I'm really nervous about that. (I had a similar flight from Madrid to Barcelona, and the seats were so close together, the back of the seat in front of me was practically at my nose. I got SO ILL on that flight! I'm hoping that ANA is more civilized than Iberia, but I guess I'll find out.)

Personally, I'd go for the Toronto to Shanghai to Kansai flight. I would rather not have to deal with the Tokyo to Osaka flight, plus, Air Canada lost my suitcase between Toronto & Montreal, and it took them 3 days to get it to me.

Sayhello

I'm pretty sure the flight from Toronto lands at the same airport we'd take off from but I'll have to double check. I'm with you on that -- no way, no how would I want to change airports. I don't even want to re-check our bags.

We are flying into NRT but are staying for a couple of days in Tokyo first. This will give us a cushion for any flight delays and help to recover from any jet lag. Then we are flying HND to ITM on the day of the ABD. The flight is 1 hour and 5 minutes. I saw that there were some flights in business on JAL on that route that were between $91 and $107 depending on the date.

Personally, I would avoid dealing with picking up bags and re-checking if I could.

After much over-thinking and over-planning (as my husband would say) We decided to do an OYO day in Tokyo... and 4 days at Disneyland prior to the start of the ABD. The first day in Tokyo is for doing the Studio Gibli Museum of course. So we are flying from DC to LAX... Then LAX to Narita on ANA economy plus... The Saturday before the ABD we are taking the JR Green Pass to Kobe... doing a night there for the Wagu beef... and then using the JR line to come into Kyoto that Sunday morning. From all the reading about how awesome their train system is and since I hate flying in general (I prefer that large leg of getting to the hotel is by train not plane internal or not)

After much over-thinking and over-planning (as my husband would say) We decided to do an OYO day in Tokyo... and 4 days at Disneyland prior to the start of the ABD. The first day in Tokyo is for doing the Studio Gibli Museum of course. So we are flying from DC to LAX... Then LAX to Narita on ANA economy plus... The Saturday before the ABD we are taking the JR Green Pass to Kobe... doing a night there for the Wagu beef... and then using the JR line to come into Kyoto that Sunday morning. From all the reading about how awesome their train system is and since I hate flying in general (I prefer that large leg of getting to the hotel is by train not plane internal or not)

That shinkansen ride is a lot of fun. Did you get your Ghibli tickets in advance?

That shinkansen ride is a lot of fun. Did you get your Ghibli tickets in advance?

Can't get the Ghibli tickets yet... not close enough we get to Japan on Sep 22 (we figure we'll get the JR Pass through USA JTB so that we can have them get us the tickets) Otherwise I was going to try Lawson at the month out... since they now accommodate outside Japan online *honestly Tokyo Disney and Ghibli tickets have been the most stressful part of all this planning*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter