It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Some of the ones I have seen look amazing, but I can see why some people wouldn’t want to stay in one.

I'd have a pretty hard time getting up off the floor, too! This poor old back just ain't what it used to be! While the Ryokan sounds kind of cool, I'd be surprised if ABD did something like that that would be physically prohibitive for a lot of folks. I guess we'll find out!

Sayhello

This is my thought as well... in order to accommodate everyone I doubt they would choose a ryokan and would likely stick to nice hotels. I could see them including an optional day trip to a hot spring or something instead.

I've stayed at a few and really enjoyed them - as others said you don't HAVE to use the public baths. They tend to have private options as well though sometimes the facilities are still shared. One I stayed in I felt truly immersed... the water in the tubs were communal even though they were private. I got out pretty quick when I saw the hair floating... ^^; The other ones had constant fresh water circulating.

I can't wait to see what this trip looks like... I booked a backup cruise on DCL just in case its out of my price range but I really want to go on this! :hyper:

This is my thought as well... in order to accommodate everyone I doubt they would choose a ryokan and would likely stick to nice hotels. I could see them including an optional day trip to a hot spring or something instead.

I've stayed at a few and really enjoyed them - as others said you don't HAVE to use the public baths. They tend to have private options as well though sometimes the facilities are still shared. One I stayed in I felt truly immersed... the water in the tubs were communal even though they were private. I got out pretty quick when I saw the hair floating... ^^; The other ones had constant fresh water circulating.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't wait to see what this trip looks like... I booked a backup cruise on DCL just in case its out of my price range but I really want to go on this! :hyper:
I totally agree with you! I don't have a backup vacation booked yet - I might do Hawaii if the Japan trip doesn't look good (unlikely!) or the price is too astronomical (although I'm not sure how much is "too much" at this point. :) Where do you draw the line? :D ) But I *REALLY* want to go! It's been on my bucket list for YEARS and YEARS!

Sayello

Nat Geo family and Thomson family both stay at a Ryokan during the trip, but A&K family does not. So it shall be interesting to see what ABD does. I think if they do it would give me pause since I know it would be very uncomfortable for me to get up off the floor and I don't think I'd truly enjoy the experience. Did I mention that you are supposed to walk around the Ryokan in a robe and slippers they provide you with? I would be very uncomfortable with this.

And since we could only likely do this trip in August when it's horribly humid in Japan I am not sure if we can make it work. Now if they include some park experiences we could be swayed. It shall be interesting.

C'mon ABD! Release the itinerary already!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I totally agree with you! I don't have a backup vacation booked yet - I might do Hawaii if the Japan trip doesn't look good (unlikely!) or the price is too astronomical (although I'm not sure how much is "too much" at this point. :) Where do you draw the line? :D ) But I *REALLY* want to go! It's been on my bucket list for YEARS and YEARS!

Sayello

Thats a good question..! I think mine will be if it is much more than the other trips AND doesn't plus what I can do on my own. If they have some great experiences at the parks (if they do them) or some really interesting things that would be more fun as a group like doing a Tsukiji tour or geisha entertainment or something then I would probably tell them to hush and take my money! One of my biggest problems is my husband has no interest at all in doing a Japan ABD so I will absolutely be doing this solo which means a horrid supplement. I'm going to have to pro/con going ALONE to Japan versus paying a lot more to get to go with a group - not a problem most of you all will have. :rotfl:

Nat Geo family and Thomson family both stay at a Ryokan during the trip, but A&K family does not. So it shall be interesting to see what ABD does. I think if they do it would give me pause since I know it would be very uncomfortable for me to get up off the floor and I don't think I'd truly enjoy the experience. Did I mention that you are supposed to walk around the Ryokan in a robe and slippers they provide you with? I would be very uncomfortable with this.

And since we could only likely do this trip in August when it's horribly humid in Japan I am not sure if we can make it work. Now if they include some park experiences we could be swayed. It shall be interesting.

C'mon ABD! Release the itinerary already!!

You didn't mention it, but the only time I saw people wearing them were when they came out of or were going into the bath. :confused3 Since they bathe at night over there most people do walk around in them but I don't think you get drummed out for not wearing robes. The shoes though ABSOLUTELY. You take your shoes off and leave them at cubbies at the entrance - shoes indoors is a big no no in Japan (hotels obviously can't control that but they do have slippers and shoe horns right at the door for you). Can you imagine trying to clean gunk from shoes off tatami mats? I can see why they do that but the slippers are really thin.

August is also a summer holiday in Japan... they get out in late July. FWIW I think I'd rather go then than June when it is really rainy. I kind of want to go over Tanabata sometime too (holiday on 7/7).

I should probably go look at these other tours and see what type of things they do!

Oh! It looks like the Tomsons' ryokan has "modern" rooms with western beds in addition to the futon rooms... maybe you could insist on having one of those? I loooooved Osaka, I like their itinerary more than nat geos. They call out more activities vs museums and spend another day in Tokyo instead of taking a day trip to Hakone. Tokyo just isn't getting enough time in either, but at least you aren't tossing another train ride/stop into a jammed packed schedule. But then, they DO go to Nara which almost makes up for that... Nara is really fun, especially if you have kids, since the deer are so cute! You can always stay in Kyoto another day or two to do that though. Its an easy train ride away. :)

Oh! It looks like the Tomsons' ryokan has "modern" rooms with western beds in addition to the futon rooms... maybe you could insist on having one of those? I loooooved Osaka, I like their itinerary more than nat geos. They call out more activities vs museums and spend another day in Tokyo instead of taking a day trip to Hakone. Tokyo just isn't getting enough time in either, but at least you aren't tossing another train ride/stop into a jammed packed schedule. But then, they DO go to Nara which almost makes up for that... Nara is really fun, especially if you have kids, since the deer are so cute! You can always stay in Kyoto another day or two to do that though. Its an easy train ride away. :)
Yep, but I'm still pretty pissed at Thomson's, who made it quite clear that I, as a solo, childless traveler, was not really welcome on their trips. ABD has *ALWAYS* been inclusive.

Sayhello

Gotta agree that Japan will only be worth it if the experiences that AbD provides cannot be done on your own.
I've been to Japan alone and it was very easy to get around and do stuff.
I'm planning to go back once Disney opens their 3rd gate there and I'm totally prepared to do it on my own again.

Yep, but I'm still pretty pissed at Thomson's, who made it quite clear that I, as a solo, childless traveler, was not really welcome on their trips. ABD has *ALWAYS* been inclusive.

Sayhello

It's funny because I requested a Thomson brochure thinking that as a middle-aged person with a kid, I would be their demographic. The brochure they sent me was dedicated to travelling with your Millennial "children," including discussion about how Millennials like to be treated like adults. Imagine, people between 22 and 37 wanting to cross the street by themselves and go potty without a chaperone. What a crazy generation we are. I'm guessing they sent me the wrong brochure, but they are permanently off my list of possible tour companies.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm very curious to see what the ABD Japan itinerary will include. But since my family's must-do list includes bunny island and snow monkeys, my guess is that we'll eventually just DIY Japan.

It's funny because I requested a Thomson brochure thinking that as a middle-aged person with a kid, I would be their demographic. The brochure they sent me was dedicated to travelling with your Millennial "children," including discussion about how Millennials like to be treated like adults. Imagine, people between 22 and 37 wanting to cross the street by themselves and go potty without a chaperone. What a crazy generation we are. I'm guessing they sent me the wrong brochure, but they are permanently off my list of possible tour companies.
OMG, how bizarre is that! :eek:

Anyway, back on topic. I'm very curious to see what the ABD Japan itinerary will include. But since my family's must-do list includes bunny island and snow monkeys, my guess is that we'll eventually just DIY Japan.
I travel solo, so there's very little chance I'll DIY Japan. We shall see. I've learned to never say never. :)

Sayhello

I am dying laughing at this marketing material: https://familyadventures.com/specialty-adventures/teens-millennials/

Sayhello

What did they say or do...? Thats crazy!

Yep, 36 year old "millennial child" here. Was it just a really outdated catalog? Frankly when I travel with my parents these days I'm the adult and they're the children! They like to put their feet up and have their kids do all the planning.

OMG, how bizarre is that! :eek:

I travel solo, so there's very little chance I'll DIY Japan. We shall see. I've learned to never say never. :)

Sayhello

Honestly if there is anywhere in the world I would solo a trip it is Japan. Plenty of english around, exceedingly safe, straightforward trains, VERY polite general population & very clean with some of the best customer service in the world. If I can't afford ABD or if their itinerary doesn't seem worth it I'm going solo.

OMG!!! That is SO LAME!! I just can't believe "We plan for later starts in the morning when we can". OMG. Too funny!

What did they say or do...? Thats crazy!
I called to speak to someone to ask about a trip after exchanging some emails. I think it may have been for their Japan trip before ABD showed any inclination to do one. The guy I talked to told me it was a family trip and "they don't encourage" singles to take their family trips, and steered me towards some sister company I'd never heard of. He honestly made it sound like families wouldn't feel safe with singles on the trips. He definitely made it sound like they believe singles wouldn't like traveling with families. I tried twice, and basically got the same answer. Really turned me off to the company.

Yep, 36 year old "millennial child" here. Was it just a really outdated catalog? Frankly when I travel with my parents these days I'm the adult and they're the children! They like to put their feet up and have their kids do all the planning.
Check laceltris3's link above to the Thomson Family Adventures site. It's not just an outdated catalog!! :eek:

Honestly if there is anywhere in the world I would solo a trip it is Japan. Plenty of english around, exceedingly safe, straightforward trains, VERY polite general population & very clean with some of the best customer service in the world. If I can't afford ABD or if their itinerary doesn't seem worth it I'm going solo.
I just don't like being anywhere that far away for that long where people aren't expecting me to show up at a certain place by a certain time. If anything happened to me, how long would it take someone to realize it? It might be paranoid, but it's how I feel.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Sayhello - I agree with you. I feel that way traveling in the U.S. alone for work. I know I'd feel even more that way if I couldn't speak the language, read, etc. Even in a super safe country.

I can get that... at home in the states I'm afraid of my own shadow and won't even walk my dog alone in the evening if I can help it. In Japan though? No worries. Its unreal... but then I've been 3 times so far so its not an unknown to me anymore. People don't even lock up their bikes and will leave their computers/bags/coats at their tables unattended while they use the bathroom in cafes.

Has anyone done an anime tour with an Japanese animation expert. I have researched and found nothing. For about 10 years and found nothing. SO presume no-one has. But just making sure

I have not. The closest I have come is going to the Ghibli museum (which was great) but there weren't any animators there or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!