It's official we're going to Disneyland!!! First time!!!

dkrauss

Goofy Fan from Jersey
Ok........so our flight to LA is booked (flight home isn't but we have time)! This officially means we're going to Disneyland!!! Once the "non-refundable" flight is booked there's no turning back (under normal circumstances) :P .

My wife and I are sooooo excited. We arrive Tuesday, November 5th.........and we're first in line for SWGE on Wednesday morning!!!

We're veterans of WDW and so many folks are saying we're going be underwhelmed.........WE THINK NOT!!! We have 4 days and we already have a ton of things we want to do and see.......its gonna be awesome. I do have a question - We arrive on Nov 5th..........will Christmas decorations be up?

Doug :goofy:

Usually Veteran's Day weekend (Nov 11 this year) is the first weekend of full Christmas with parades, treats, shows and all that. They do start decorating earlier since it takes so long, so you'll probably see some stuff up.

As PP mentioned, Holiday season usually officially starts around Veterans Day. So if your park days are Wed 11/6-Sat 11/9 I think it will probably be full Holiday time starting Friday 11/8. So obviously many decorations will be up the Weds and Thursday too but by the weekend IASW Holiday should be open, the Christmas parade will start and Festival of Holidays in DCA will be underway (and hopefully they will start showing WoC Seasons of Light. My favorite WoC show...well until/if I get to see the new Villains one for Halloween...).

We were there the equivalent weekend last year and everything was full holiday except they were still switching over the decorations in Downtown Disney.

If you go in expecting to be underwhelmed you might be, but it sounds like your doing it right! I love WDW and that was where I first went, but I fell in love with Disneyland big time and now prefer to go there more often.

You’re going to love it! We’re WDW people too and I was worried we would struggle to connect with DLR when we went there for the first time in June 2017. WDW is still home, but we now loooooove DLR as well. We have trip number three coming up in November and also just booked flights today! That really helps to make it feel official.

You are going to love it. Don’t listen to the naysayers. But do align your expectations as well. Disneyland feels much less like a “resort” than WDW. Disneyland at its core is still a park where adults and kids can have fun together. It does not cater to your desire to be relaxed or laid back. It rewards those who are earnestly seeking that fun and thrill. It really has remained true to Walt’s vision in that way.

Also early November is a great time to go. We went Nov 1-5 about 5 years ago and had a great time. But be warned, park hours will be short so you might feel rushed on some days.

Have a great time!

YAY! DLR is home to us, but we also love WDW. Definitely do not go in expecting it to be like WDW, because it's not at all. They are both completely different, but both magical in their own way. Have an amazing trip!

Welcome (early) to DLR! You'll find LOTS of great trip planning information here (from the stickies at the top of the first page): * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!.
And from that link, this classic thread will have great info for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
Usually, the people who report being disappointed are the ones who come to DLR with stubbornly preconceived notions that DLR has to be WDW 2.0 and with the determination to force DLR into a WDW grid. And when, inevitably, their plans begin to disintegrate quickly and completely all around them, they let their frustrations and complaints cloud their view. As we say around here, Disney can do everything to make the magic, but if I refuse to see it and reject it all around me... well, that's the way to have a very unmagical trip. You and your wife sound like you're coming into this trip with great attitudes already! We're here to help with all your questions and planning. Get ready to discover and explore Walt's original park and DCA!

Thank you all........you've confirmed our thinking plus added some great information. I'll be on this board quite a bit from now until November great to see so much support :flower3:

PS....i will be updating my signature soon to include the DLR trip.....lol

Ok........so our flight to LA is booked (flight home isn't but we have time)! This officially means we're going to Disneyland!!! Once the "non-refundable" flight is booked there's no turning back (under normal circumstances) :P .

My wife and I are sooooo excited. We arrive Tuesday, November 5th.........and we're first in line for SWGE on Wednesday morning!!!

We're veterans of WDW and so many folks are saying we're going be underwhelmed.........WE THINK NOT!!! We have 4 days and we already have a ton of things we want to do and see.......its gonna be awesome. I do have a question - We arrive on Nov 5th..........will Christmas decorations be up?

You will LOVE Disneyland. It is by far my favourite (and I've been plenty times to WDW). There are far more rides in Disneyland than any other parks. Space Mountain is miles better, as is Pirates. You will love it. DCA is fun too.

I've had 10 trips to Disneyland. Prior to my recent visit, I hadn't been since 2011. During this gap, I visited WDW twice. I much prefer WDW but DL is also great. Just be prepared to keep an open mind as the 2 really are quite different. Everything is so small and compact in DL versus the vast expanse of WDW. What I like most about DL is you can stay offsite and walk to the park entrance within 5 to 20 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter