It's so hot....

dotfurio

What happened to the disappearing act?
Some flights in and out of Phoenix have been cancelled. I know this is national news, but Phoenix is one of the main places our little airport flies to.

There was a train derailment near my hometown because the tracks buckled due to the heat.

How is it in your neck of the woods?

*ETA - we hit 110 today. "But it's a dry heat"

Last edited:
Rainy and squally today. Tropical Storm Cindy has been here. Was a hot rain today, not even cool. And suffocatingly humid. More of the same tomorrow.

Eta: 10 pm temperature 80 degrees heat index is 89

Last edited:

In sunny South Florida, which is constantly maligned for our weather, we had a high of 89 today. This is yet another example that people who think Florida is miserably hot most of the year are misinformed.

a beautiful, breezy 75 degrees with very small, thin cloud coverage so it wasn't too hot at all.

the rest of the week will climb back up to mid 90s with no clouds or breeze, so I'm savoring today!

i didnt know heat was a reason flights were cancelled
I didn't either! Apparently different planes have temps they can fly at. The ones that were cancelled have an operating temp of 118. I think it's the smaller planes, since that's what flies out of here.

A visitor to California burned her feet walking on the sand.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/article157319289.html

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/first-hot-week-of-2017.htm

Earlier in June a woman required ambulance transportation to a hospital due to 3rd-degree burns on her feet. She had lost her sandals in Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes and walked about a half mile on the hot sand. The temperature of the sand was not recorded, but touching a 120° F surface for over five minutes can cause burns of that severity. Ground temperatures are generally significantly higher than official temperatures, which are recorded about 4 feet off the ground in the shade. Ground temperatures over 200° F have been measured in Death Valley. To put that in perspective, 160° F is sufficient to cook meat.​

In those temperatures, people tend to die if they exert themselves.

I've been to Death Valley in the summer and in the winter. In the summer I stayed in an air conditioned car most of the time and only stepped out for a few minutes. I also brought an umbrella to make my own shade. In the winter it was pretty nice, especially since there was an extreme cold spell throughout most of the western US. My kid got to play in the sand and had a blast.

91, but humidity is low for this time of year. We've truly only had a couple of very hot days so far this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!