It's so hot....

I didn't either! Apparently different planes have temps they can fly at. The ones that were cancelled have an operating temp of 118. I think it's the smaller planes, since that's what flies out of here.

Yes, it's mostly the smaller planes. But sometimes in extreme heat larger planes that fly long distances have to block off seats or even remove passengers.

Several years ago when Phx hit 122F, the computers hadn't been programmed to figure out lift and air speed at those temps, so the international airport had to close for a few hours. My teenage son was out playing basketball in the heat, and DH played a double-header of baseball that evening. Um, no thanks.

Yesterday a nephew who's a cop was assigned to help reroute traffic during a construction fire. He and two other cops rotated in and out for 5 hrs. Including their bullet-proof vests they were wearing 60 lb of gear, and had to keep moving their feet because the asphalt was mushy. firefighters from neighboring communities were called in to help battle the flames -- I can't imagine fighting a fire in all their gear, in those extreme weather conditions.

During this latest heat wave, a friend from Phx died and went to H___ and sent back for blankets.

Actually, anyone who's lived through our heat automatically goes to Heaven when they die because they've already lived through H___ here on earth.

Several years ago when Phx hit 122F, the computers hadn't been programmed to figure out lift and air speed at those temps, so the international airport had to close for a few hours. My teenage son was out playing basketball in the heat, and DH played a double-header of baseball that evening. Um, no thanks.

Yesterday a nephew who's a cop was assigned to help reroute traffic during a construction fire. He and two other cops rotated in and out for 5 hrs. Including their bullet-proof vests they were wearing 60 lb of gear, and had to keep moving their feet because the asphalt was mushy. firefighters from neighboring communities were called in to help battle the flames -- I can't imagine fighting a fire in all their gear, in those extreme weather conditions.

During this latest heat wave, a friend from Phx died and went to H___ and sent back for blankets.

Actually, anyone who's lived through our heat automatically goes to Heaven when they die because they've already lived through H___ here on earth.

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

In sunny South Florida, which is constantly maligned for our weather, we had a high of 89 today. This is yet another example that people who think Florida is miserably hot most of the year are misinformed.

89 isn't hot???? I couldn't take it with all the humidity there. The average high temperature this month in Seattle has been 68 degrees. No humidity here either. It is bliss.

i didnt know heat was a reason flights were cancelled

Hot and dry air is less dense meaning less lift is generated. Unfortunately the calculations haven't been done for some types of aircraft that fly out of phoenix for temperatures over 120 so they can't fly.

Isn't it winter?

The last time I was in Melbourne it was sold cold that I saw penguins.

Yup, that's generally the way the Southern Hemisphere works! That was the temperature around lunchtime; it was 6/43 this morning and is 10/50 now at 9pm. The 'apparent temperature' was much cooler though! It can get a bit colder, but not too much in the city. You can drive a couple of hours away for snow (the ski season started 2 weeks ago).

Oh, and you can see wild penguins in Melbourne (well, 90 minutes away) any day of the year! They'll probably be wearing woollen jumpers at this time of year though!
image.png

(In all seriousness, they wear them to protect them after being caught in oil spills)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    596.9 KB · Views: 1

Phoenix area too......too hot!!
Heat advisory until Sunday evening, but still too hot after that.
Monday 115, Tuesday 117, yesterday 115, today supposed to be 113 and tomorrow 112 :sunny:
Not cooling down at night anymore either

It's been a cool, windy spring here (after a very long, unusually harsh winter) and on this early summer day it's 48F right now and going up to a high of 60F with rain forecasted.

89 isn't hot???? I couldn't take it with all the humidity there. The average high temperature this month in Seattle has been 68 degrees. No humidity here either. It is bliss.
Compared to 100+ it's not so bad. I'm not getting into another silly "my weather is better than yours" debate, but 68 in June would be miserable to me. It's good you live in Seattle & I live in FL. We can both be happy with our weather. :sunny:

Yup, that's generally the way the Southern Hemisphere works! That was the temperature around lunchtime; it was 6/43 this morning and is 10/50 now at 9pm. The 'apparent temperature' was much cooler though! It can get a bit colder, but not too much in the city. You can drive a couple of hours away for snow (the ski season started 2 weeks ago).

Oh, and you can see wild penguins in Melbourne (well, 90 minutes away) any day of the year! They'll probably be wearing woollen jumpers at this time of year though!
View attachment 246388

(In all seriousness, they wear them to protect them after being caught in oil spills)

Yeah - just joking about the penguins. I realize they're temperate climate penguins. I saw them on a visit in the early 90s. It was late May and for late fall/early winter the weather was quite nice in Melbourne.

It wasn't so nice on the ride to Melbourne though. We took an overnight train from Sydney, and it must have been very cold outside, because our car had no heat. We tried moving to another car in the same class, but the conductor told us we had to get back to our assigned car. We had no warm clothes, expecting a heated car. Then that conductor was relieved in the middle of the night, his replacement started waking up everyone in the car, and told us to get in a car with heat.

I'm a little envious of all you with nice temperatures. DH and I had planned to move to coastal Washington or Oregon after graduating but jobs and obligations to our parents ended up getting us stuck here in this overheated valley.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!