I've got the Disney bug and I can't stay away. AKL June 2018 TR started 6/25

Yes, I always have such odd flight times flying from Alberta and connecting flights so I've never had my luggage delivered to me. I have always used the Magical Express, picked up my luggage from the baggage carousel, and used my paper copy with the scannable bar code at the ME check in desk. They send me to my proper line, and my luggage is directly loaded onto the coach bus.
I've never rented a car myself - I don't like driving much, and I use the extra time waiting for the bus to read and relax. I've used Mears shuttles when I've gone from my Disney resort to Universal. For myself, if I'm looking to change things up from eating at the parks, I will go visit a resort and eat at one of their options. I haven't ordered from Garden Grocer either - maybe one day!
Good luck finding those ears!

Thanks for your perspective on ME! :goodvibes

39 days until Disney!

So I think I have decided to not? get a rental car. I may still change my mind! I am going to proceed with our plans with the assumption that we are going to be relying on Disney transportation.

Arrival Day

Our flight is scheduled to land at 1230. Originally it was supposed to land at 1030 but Westjet cancelled the flight and moved us to a later one. I guess I am glad it was only a two hour delay as it doesn't impact our plans too much.

We will probably elect to collect our bags rather than having Disney deliver them to our room just for our peace of mind. We tend to be a bit paranoid about lost luggage. Once we have our bags we will proceed to catch the Magical Express, a first for us.

Magic-Express.jpg

Once we arrive we will have to go to the front desk to check-in and collect our Magic Bands. As Canadians our Magic Bands do not get mailed to us so no direct to room travelling for us. Hopefully when we check in we will be lucky enough to get assigned a partial savanna view instead of a parking lot view. :laughing:

If our room isn't ready we will leave our bags with bell services and hop on a bus to Disney Springs. If the room is ready we will go settle in and probably take a dip in the pool.

GEDC0054-2-1024x682.jpg

disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge.jpg

After the swim we plan, as stated above, to go to Disney Springs.

We plan to eat at Blaze Pizza

Blaze_Fast_Fired_Pizza_Disney_Springs-4-700x525.jpg

A stop at Guest Services will be on the list to activate our Canadian Resident tickets. Since they are discounted tickets we have to provide proof of residence in Canada before we can use them and I would rather not try and do that the next morning when we are trying to beat the crowds to Toy Story Mania.

With that done we will probably browse through some of the shops. In particular I want to go to my favourite stop, Basin. I just love their bath bombs!

Basin_carousel2.jpg

I also plan to see what is on offer in the Marketplace Co-op. I have heard that is where the cute Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane dresses are sold. I posted about the Magic Kingdom dress I want to try-on in a previous post.

Marketplace-Co-Op_Full_25892.jpg

Once we have finished at Disney Springs it will be back to the resort.

I have fastpasses booked for Animal Kingdom that evening. Whether or not we go to the park will really depend on how long we spend at Disney Springs and how tired we are after traveling.

At Animal Kingdom I have fastpasses for

Kilimanjaro Safari
Navi River Journey
Rivers of Light

rivers-of-light-boats-16x9.jpg

At some point in there we will collect our Garden Grocer order which I plan to have delivered. We will want to have some staples (milk, yogurt, bananas) for the room for breakfast rather than spending $$$$ on Disney breakfast food every morning.

The plans for this day are pretty fluid though and we will probably just see how things go and how we are feeling.

A little late, but joining in! Your plans sound great!!! :D

Welcome! I hope everything works out with our plans, I sure have changed my mind a few times! :goodvibes

Looking forward to what you think about the new Disney Springs! I won't reveal any spoilers... And I hope you love being chauffeured on the ME!

Yes, last time we went Disney Springs was mostly done I believe but we didn't really have time to explore it. On this trip I hope to spend more time there checking everything out.

I hope I enjoy ME and Disney transportation as well. Time will tell if I find it relaxing or stressful, I like to be in control! :laughing:

Day One - Hollywood Studios

disney-hollywood-studios.jpg

Our first park day and our one and only day in Hollywood Studios. I found this day hard to plan for due to all the construction and lack of Toy Story Mania fastpasses. My original plan had been for us to show up mid-afternoon but that was when I planned on being able to fastpass TSM. So here is what I have planned now:

Rope Drop Toy Story Mania. This is our best chance of getting on the ride without waiting ages. The ride is currently operating with only one track versus its normal three tracks due to the new queue construction to integrate this ride into the new Toy Story Land. I love this ride and would be very disappointed if I didn't get to ride it.

toy-story-mania-gallery03.jpg

We have a fastpass for Star Tours from 10:20-11:20. Depending on how long it takes us to ride Toy Story Mania I may try to modify this to an earlier time.

star-tours-gallery00.jpg

Our next fastpass is for the Frozen Sing-Along. This is scheduled for 1:00. So we will grab lunch somewhere in the park before seeing this show.

Others items of interest in the park: Beauty and the Beast, and Tower of Terror and Rock N' Roller Coaster for me.

Fastpasses-at-Hollywood-Studios2.png

Hollywood-Studios-tower.jpg

We will take a look at the Times Guide when we are there and we will either head back to the hotel for some pool time following Frozen or catch Beauty and the Beast then back to the hotel.

We will return in the evening for Fantasmic which is our third fastpass. I hope to be able to ride Rock N' Roller Coaster as a single rider in the evening and Tower of Terror. I won't be heartbroken if I don't get on the rides though as I like riding with a partner and the only one in my family that will go on those rides with me is my brother Alek who will not be on this trip.

C_ST_Sorc_Mickey_Fantasmic.jpg

Our plans are very flexible though and we will fit things in where we can. It helps that we don't have any ADR's this day so we can move things around as needed to suit our needs as they arise. If by some miracle fastpasses open up for Toy Story Mania before our trip I will change our plans back to an afternoon park arrival.

I was also hoping to catch the Star Wars fireworks and so considered skipping Fantasmic in favour of them as I have never seen them. However, my mom has read that the show is not that great right now as some of the bigger fireworks displays have been cut-back due to late hour work being done in Toy Story Land to get it ready for the June 30th opening. Again, maybe this will change by the time we are there so our plans may change fairly last minute.

new-star-wars-galactic-spectacular-16x9.jpg

All of this will go out the window though if we get lucky enough to hit a soft opening for Toy Story Land. I'm not counting on this happening but it would be awesome if it did!

tslns23801.jpg

Day 3 - Epcot

spaceship-earth-sunset-dual-monorails-epcot-v2-copy.jpg

The plans for this day were easy to make as I find that Epcot doesn't require too much planning. At least for us as we spend most of our time wandering around World Showcase.

Just in the past few days I have decided I would like to go to Garden Grill for breakfast. Of course, this close to our trip there is no pre-park opening reservations available. I will keep checking and maybe we will get lucky and snag a last minute reservation when somebody cancels. If that fails we will revert to the original plan to be at the park for rope drop and head straight to Soarin. We are looking forward to seeing the new version of Soarin as this ride has always been a favourite so we are hoping we love the new version as much as the old.

soarin-gallery07.jpg

We have a fastpass for the character spot for 9:00-10:00 which should work out with rope dropping Soarin.

epcot_character_spot_2_by_holy_arrow73667.jpg

After the characters we will probably go to The Seas to visit Nemo and view the aquariums.

Nemo-Ride.png

We have a fastpass for Spaceship Earth from 10:25-11:25 which we may or may not use as it would require a bit of back tracking. I also find that Spaceship Earth doesn't generally need a fastpass so I'm not too worried if we miss the FP window and need to ride standby later in the day. The only reason I booked Spaceship Earth and the Character Spot was for a lack of other tier two fastpass options. :laughing:

I'm thinking we will stop at the Refreshment Port and grab some of the famous Cheddar Cheese Soup and maybe some of the signature "poutine" -French Fries with Canadian Cheddar and Bacon Sauce with Cheese Curds.

refreshment-port-poutine-and-cheese-soup.jpg

We will then wander over to the Norway side of the lagoon for our third fastpass - Frozen Ever After. This will be another new experience for us as they were still working on it when we last visited in December 2015. If the wait isn't too long I also want to visit with Anna and Elsa so I can add them to my collection of character photos.

FEA286374FI.jpg

Anna-Elsa-Disney-World.jpg

I'm hoping that the Kringla Bakery will be open again by the time we visit as Mom and I are both fans of the Cloudberry Horn or as it is now known, Troll Horn. From what I have seen online it is not offered at the temporary bakery kiosk so I'm crossing my fingers the bakery work will be competed so we can indulge in this yummy treat.

dis5-2-1024x819.jpg

It will be early afternoon at this point so we will see how we are feeling. We might tour around a few of the pavilions, probably Mexico and China since we will be on that side of the lagoon or we might go back to the hotel for a few hours.

We will return to the park in the late afternoon/evening and continue our explorations of World Showcase with our final destination for the evening being Spice Road Table which is a new restaurant for us. We have a 7:40 ADR and I am going to request a lagoon side table as the plan is to watch Illuminations from their patio.

IMG_3088.jpg

Attachments

• menu_item_image_314.jpg
    menu_item_image_314.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3
31 days until Disney!

Mom heard some upsetting news this morning, Toy Story Mania will be closed during our trip. No fastpass, no standby, nada! I will have to rethink our Hollywood Studios day now. If it wouldn't end up costing $$$$ I would say we head to Universal that day and drop the Studios altogether but don't know if we would want to spend the money on one-day tickets. It would be fun though!

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom

images.jpg

Our third park day will be our first Magic Kingdom day! All the parks have at least two days scheduled except for Hollywood Studios which has only one day scheduled and as posted above maybe not even that!

Magic Kingdom days are always long days as we get there for rope drop and we stay until the fireworks.

We are doing things a little differently this year and instead of heading to Tomorrowland at rope drop we are going to go to Frontierland! We are going to go to Big Thunder Mountain first. We have a fastpass for it even though we may not need it this early in the morning. If we arrive at the ride and the standby line is short I will reschedule it so we can get two rides in or switch it to something else.

Unknown.jpg

After Big Thunder the next logical ride is Splash Mountain due to proximity. We have a fastpass for this as well.

Magic-Kingdom-Splash-Mountain-Descending-fb-crop-620x330.jpg

We have an 1150 ADR for Be Our Guest so we will meander our way in that direction and do whatever strikes our fancy along the way.

I am still crossing my fingers that a Be Our Guest dinner reservation will open up. If it does we will cancel the lunch and go for dinner instead. We have already been for lunch on our past trip so we would like to experience the dinner before it changes in July.

beourguest.jpg

After lunch we will head to Seven Dwarves Mine Train. This is such a fun ride! We have a fastpass for 12:45-1:45. This will use up our third fastpass of the day and then I can get on MDE and see what same day fastpasses are available.

MINERT999000.jpg

We will most likely make our way down to Main St where we will catch the parade at 3:00.

festival-of-fantasy-parade-022-M.jpg

The plans for the afternoon and the evening are open. It will depend on how we are feeling, what the lines are like and what fastpasses are available on MDE. We might head to the monorail and grab a counter service dinner at one of the monorail resorts or perhaps we will catch a boat over to the Wilderness Lodge. I would like to see it now that all the renovations are done and we could have dinner at the new Geyser Point.

Regardless we plan on seeing Happily Ever After this evening. This will be brand new to us (RIP Wishes). I hope that I love it. I really loved Wishes. Wishes made me tear up every time. From what I have read some people really love HEA and some think it is just okay. I have also heard that the show relies heavily on projections onto the castle so Mom and I will probably scout out a good viewing spot early. I considered dishing out the money for the Plaza Garden Dessert Party to get guaranteed good viewing but there is no guarantee of the fireworks. For example, if there are big storms that night which is very possible as it is summer in Florida you still have to pay for the dessert party, you can't cancel day of and get a refund.

image.jpg

This night I'm also hoping to get some magic shots. Two in particular, the Tangled lantern photo and the lantern photo at the Tea Cups. Priority is the tangled photo. I hope these are offered when we are there! I heard they were limited time offerings but you never know! The photos i have seen online are beautiful. Here are some examples I pulled from a google search (I do not know these people, lol)

sdkjfh19831.jpg

img_8678.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

27 Days!

We got Mickey mail today. Our Magical Express tags arrived. Now to decide if we actually want to use them. I have a paranoia about luggage getting lost on a regular flight so using the luggage delivery service adds in an extra wrinkle of paranoia. In all likelihood we will collect our own bags for peace of mind. What are your experiences with the Magical Express luggage delivery? Has it always worked well? Have you heard any stories of bags getting lost? If our room isn't ready when we arrive we can leave our bags with bell services I believe?

In other news, when I was at work the other day I got a text from Touring Plans Reservation Finder. It said they had found a Be Our Guest dinner reservation, but at 9:20 at night! lol That's a bit late for us and it would impact our Happily Ever After plans.

I booked it to secure a spot but I will be keeping my eye out for an earlier time.

Two shifts left and then I am off for two weeks for my brother's visit home!!! Time is flying!

Hello fellow Ontarian!!! I know I am joining super late-your trip is so soon!! But there is lots I want to comment on.

Mom and I have talked about maybe having two Universal days during the trip. If we do I'm not sure if we would want to just drive over or if we would stay at Universal during that time.
My DH and I always do 2 days at Universal. We get passes through Air Miles (so worth it!) and stay on property. By staying on property you get an Express Pass-which basically means you can skip the line at just about every ride. We have never waited more then 10 minutes at Universal (barring the rides that don't accept Express-but then we RD those!)
We have placed these two days at both the end, and in the middle of our holiday, and discover we prefer them the middle, and book a split stay at Disney. This has the benefit of getting us different hotel experiences and both ways to/from airport on the DME!!
We just Uber over to Universal early in the morning on the first park day-and back at the end of the second.

having to get them validated at guest services before we can enter the parks by showing proof of our Canadian residency.
We will be doing this at DS for the first time in August, so I'll be glad to hear how your experience goes. At Christmas we activated 2 different sets on different days at AK, before park opening. I needed to upgrade to an AP and so had to go to Guest Services and the line took an hour+. But we just activated my family's at the Ticket Window and it took 10 minutes max-so totally possible if you arrive early for RD.

If it is not ready we will head out to complete our other plans for the day which will include a trip to Disney Springs for some shopping
This is exactly our arrival day plan this summer. Usually I book a park day, but I've decided to be a little more chill this time ;)

to increase our odds of getting these fastpasses
I see that you have gotten FOP FPs, however I'll just say that I had success getting them closer to my trip too, just spent a lot of free time checking the ap.

Have you taken the Magical Express on your trips? How did it work out for you in regards to your bags? Since you don't have your Magic Band on arrival how do you check-in for the ME? On departure day how early do you get picked up since it is technically an international flight?
We tend to be a bit paranoid about lost luggage
We always take Magic Express! We LOVE the ease and convenience. We also always use the luggage tags and have NEVER had an issue. NOR do I know anyone who has had an issue. We carry all essentials in carry-on (well the ones you're allowed to anyways). And usually get a grocery order in advance through Garden Grocer for bottled waters, Gatorade and breakfast snacks. The luggage will arrive much later (usually 5 hours after flight lands), so plan to go about your day without it. If you return to your room and in the evening and your bags aren't there-just call bell Services and they will delivered promptly :)

Big Thunder Mountain first. We have a fastpass for it even though we may not need it this early in the morning. If we arrive at the ride and the standby line is short
You will not have any issues! BTMR and SPLash are rarely busy at park open.

25 Days!!

Day 5 - Animal Kingdom

Animal-Kingdom_Full_24518.jpg

One of our most anticipated days of the trip is here! This is the day that we (hopefully) get to ride Flight of Passage! I have heard so much about this ride and how amazing it is so I really hope it works out and that we both have no trouble with the seats. I worry about sizing although I have been told we should have no problem. I also worry about my mom who has a bad knee (osteoarthritis).

The park has extra magic hours starting at 8am so we will take advantage of the early opening. Usually I avoid the EMH parks but that is impossible to do with Animal Kingdom as there are EMH every morning in June!

We will try and avoid the temptation of Flight of Passage and head to Navi River while the rest of the herd head to FOP. We will probably head over to Expedition Everest next and take advantage of the low crowds. Next we may go to Dinosaur or wander down one of the animal trails.

animal_kingdom_disney_holiday_2017-92.jpg

I have a Tusker House breakfast booked for 9:30 where we will enjoy some Jungle Juice (POG) and catch up with our favourite Disney pals.

characters-at-tusker-house.jpg

We should be done eating in time for our Safari fastpass at 10:15. Here's hoping for lots of animal activity!

Kilimanjaro-Safari3-cropped-1000x563.jpg

We will most likely stick with our usual routine and follow up the safari with a wander into the jungle to visit with the Gorillas. Last time we were there we had a great time on this trail as we got to see some zebras fighting/playing and there were baby gorillas!

Kali River Rapids fastpass is up next at 1200. I figure it will be hot and humid by then and we will enjoy a refreshing trip down the rapids.

Kali-River-Rapids-2.jpg

Depending on showtimes we will go see the new Up! themed bird show or Festival of the Lion King. We are not going to try and cram too much in as we have a second Animal Kingdom day planned.

We will go back to the resort for an afternoon siesta and then back to the park in the late afternoon/evening.

We have our Flight of Passage fastpass at 6:35. Yay!

dpada01928401294fi-2.jpg

What we do this evening will be determined by what we did on our arrival day. If we had the energy to go to the park that night we will have already seen Rivers of Light so our focus will be on seeing Pandora at night. We have never been to Animal Kingdom at night so it will be neat to see the park in a different light. ;)

tree-of-life-04.jpg

No worries if we stay out late this night as the next day is our rest day.

The great thing about Animal Kingdom for me at least is that I don't need to plan too much. Part of the joy of this park is just wandering around and taking everything in.

Maybe we will stop by Donald's Dino-Bash to get a picture with Launchpad, my brothers would be very envious. :laughing:

new-dinobash-approved-hero_sm-16x9.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellow Ontarian!!! I know I am joining super late-your trip is so soon!! But there is lots I want to comment on.

Welcome and thanks for commenting!

My DH and I always do 2 days at Universal.

We decided to pass on Universal this trip, would have been too busy and made the trip the opposite of what it is supposed to be, relaxing. We will be going back on our next trip though when the whole family is together. That trip will be a full two weeks so lots of time for WDW and Universal. We will most likely stay on property on that trip to take advantage of the perks such as Express Pass like you talked about.

This is exactly our arrival day plan this summer. Usually I book a park day, but I've decided to be a little more chill this time ;)

It is a nice way to start the trip especially if you are exhausted after an early morning flight like we always are.

I see that you have gotten FOP FPs, however I'll just say that I had success getting them closer to my trip too, just spent a lot of free time checking the ap.

:laughing: Checking MDE every day was my back-up plan.

nd usually get a grocery order in advance through Garden Grocer for bottled waters, Gatorade and breakfast snacks.

How has that worked for you in the past? Was it waiting for you when you arrived? Was it kept refrigerated? We will probably want milk and yogurt etc.

You will not have any issues! BTMR and SPLash are rarely busy at park open.

That's what I thought but i figured the earlier we use our fastpasses the sooner we can start booking same day fastpasses.

Tusker House breakfast booked for 9:30
Still one of my favourites!!

Kali River Rapids fastpass is up next at 1200
I have yet to ride this, despite numerous visits to AK. Maybe this year. LOL!

Part of the joy of this park is just wandering around and taking everything in.
I totally agree :)

As for Garden Grocer: They have time slots that you choose for delivery (morn, afternoon, evening) so you can align it with your arrival. All perishables are kept refrigerated. We usually get yogourt and half and half for our coffee and have never had an issue. We also find it's more cost effective for cases of bottled water and Gatorade (if you drink a lot of fluids in the summer heat).

Everything looks PERFECT! Sounds like you're going to have an amazing trip. I'm really nervous about the FOP seating, and that I won't be able to fit. Luckily I have a lot of time to lose some weight. I lost a bit on my last Orlando vacation, Harry Potter rides were my motivation. I was just able to fit on Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts. I was so glad that I worked so hard on loosing the 40 pounds I did, they were the best rides and I went on them over and over again. My motivation for next year will be the FOP ride!

Have FUN!!!!!!!!!

I have yet to ride this, despite numerous visits to AK. Maybe this year. LOL!

We've only been on it once before mostly because the line is always too long! :laughing:

As for Garden Grocer: They have time slots that you choose for delivery (morn, afternoon, evening) so you can align it with your arrival. All perishables are kept refrigerated. We usually get yogourt and half and half for our coffee and have never had an issue. We also find it's more cost effective for cases of bottled water and Gatorade (if you drink a lot of fluids in the summer heat).

Thanks!

I'm really nervous about the FOP seating, and that I won't be able to fit.

I know, so terrible having to be nervous about ride seating.

My motivation for next year will be the FOP ride!

It is good motivation!

I myself have never seen the movie Avatar (yet...), but if I had any advice to give it would be if you are a RD kind of girl, definitely try to RD FOP even if you have a FP for later that evening.

I guess we will see on the day. We do have another Animal Kingdom day later in the trip as well with another FOP FP.

I've seen HEA and for me it's okay. I do like the projections, but miss the cohesive story of Wishes and being able to see everything from wherever you were.

Yes, the fun nighttime magic shots are cool. I'd like them too someday.

My bags did get lost last time. But only because I had a last minute room change. So, lost yes, but ON Disney property. LOL! I think it's a pretty reliable system in general, but there's always the chance the AIRLINE loses it too.

Two shifts left and then I am off for two weeks for my brother's visit home!!! Time is flying!

Have a great time visiting!

You will love, love, love FoP. It's fantastic! Navi is really pretty too!

AK is my hands down fave park, and nighttime is so wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter