• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ivory wedding dress = Ivory tux shirt?

cseca

<font color=darkorchid>My legs are wimpy but my wi
OK,
Could someone with some clothing sense help me determine whether my DF needs to wear ivory or white dress shirt?
I am leaning towards ivory but someone pointed out that it doesn't look as good in pictures... :(

HELP!!!!!
Thank you!

I wore ivory.... Hubby wore white. We just felt that the ivory shirts looked 'grubby'... like they were meant to be white but had been washed one too many times!

Hope this helps!

Christina

xx

I think i might go with the ivory so we'd match. I have a similar question. I loved the colors brown and pink but does that mean the guys should be in brown suits?

my dress was ivory and the bridesmaid dresses were chocolate brown with a champagne sash...at first we weren't sure what color to get for the guys, but my DH and the best man decided on brown...i think they looked great, and very put together. they had a champagne color tie and ivory shirt. here's a pic of all of us together:

DJ115912-16-07.jpg

we got the tuxes from sacinos (i think they're a florida-based store). there are a bunch of stores in the orlando area, and we were very happy with them.

happy planning! :)

Ditto. I had an ivory dress and went with ivory for the men with the champagne vest and tie. I thought it look good together. I don't think you could even tell they weren't white (ie:grubby), but I am afraid if they were actually white, it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I say go ivory !

this was a hard one for me too and i went back and forth until the day of. i ended up going with all white shirts becouse the ivory looked to dark to me. i really think it depends how dark ivory your dress is. but actually you really dont see the mens shirts too much anyway. the groom yes becosue of the ite. here is how ivory dress/white shirts looked
401-600029.jpg

600-752081.jpg

Our colors were ivory and champagne. My husband and our son wore Ivory tuxes, ivory shirts and champagne ties and vests. My dress was champagne satin with an ivory lace overlay. Our daughter wore a dark champagne dress with ivory pearls.

Tough decision, I know. Good luck!

I'd do an ivory shirt for your groom! That way, your dress doesn't look yellow.

Could someone with some clothing sense help me determine whether my DF needs to wear ivory or white dress shirt? I am leaning towards ivory but someone pointed out that it doesn't look as good in pictures...

Cseca, this topic comes up periodically. It's really a personal choice. In my case, it's a choice that my husband made, unbeknownst to me (he's sly that way). Honestly, it didn't really matter to me what he wore, as long as he showed up. But I think what he & the tux shop selected worked out well. I'll share a couple of photos below:

My husband's tuxedo was comprised of the following parts: black jacket, black pants, white shirt, ivory vest, and ivory bowtie.

668136955_bc1c840f15.jpg

My gown was ivory. Here you see the two of us standing side-by-side.

668136767_3201f50913.jpg

If you look at the following photo, you really can't tell what shade of "white" either one of us wore.

669132558_f4d4e58829.jpg

Again, it's a personal choice but I don't really think it matters that much one way or the other. You, of course, have the right to disagree. ;)

By the way, ladies, thanks for sharing your photos! I know how important it is for other folks to be able to "visualize" how their event might turn out. Photos always help -- at least they do for me.

I thought I'd share one more photo because, honestly, the difference between the white shirt & ivory vest & tie was so subtle that you couldn't pick up on it in person. This photo that was taken inside the Wedding Pavilion pretty much gets that point across (even the camera shows you how well the two colors worked together).

1642952801_9803171828.jpg

Again, have fun planning -- and good luck with your decision.

Janet2K -

I think in your case, what made it work was his having the ivory and white right together like that. It might have been different if he'd had a white shirt with a black vest.

Or not. It's very hard to say.

But I like the way the different shades all pull together in yours. It really works well together.

In most cases, I would say ask the tux shop, and go with what they recommend. They do this a lot, and probably have a good idea what works and what doesn't.

I think in your case, what made it work was his having the ivory and white right together like that. It might have been different if he'd had a white shirt with a black vest.

Or not. It's very hard to say.

But I like the way the different shades all pull together in yours. It really works well together.

In most cases, I would say ask the tux shop, and go with what they recommend. They do this a lot, and probably have a good idea what works and what doesn't.

Osxgirl, I completely agree. The tux shop & my husband worked out a combination that turned out beautifully.

I wasn't involved in the decision-making process, and I must admit that I was slightly worried when my husband eventually filled me in on the color scheme. But when I stood before him in the lobby of the Grand Floridian, I really loved what I saw. It's hard to explain but the subtle differences between the two colors really took me by surprise. I thought it looked very classy. Almost James Bond-looking (if you can believe that!). The material that was used for the vest & bow-tie was woven. It had a nice weight to it. I think that made all the difference in the world.

2378742610_e5227cb07f.jpg

So, I agree that it's usually best to leave the final decision up to the experts when one is in doubt. I know that the experts didn't lead my husband astray. He looked quite dapper. I think I'll keep him around for at least another 20 years. ;)

hmm... I guess the consensus is it doesn't matter? :lmao:...
Everyone's pictures look beautiful either way.
And thank you so much for posting them... I wouldn't have been able to picture them if you all hadn't done so...

I think I'm going back to the store next week for a final decision.
They already think I'm nuts... so what's one more visit right?
:rotfl:

I went through this issue too. It was such a hassle finding an ivory shirt that didn't look yellow. My dress was very subtly ivory and I couldn't find a dress shirt that matched. You can only tell in a couple of pictures that our shirt/dress doesn't match. Who cares?

I will be in ivory, and the guys will also be in ivory shirts. All the tux rental places and suit shops said that my ivory dress could look yellow or dirty compaired to my DF's crisp white shirt. We are doing jackets, shirts and ties and not the vests due to the heat, so more of his shirt will show. So he and the guys have light ivory shirts :goodvibes

I went through this issue too. It was such a hassle finding an ivory shirt that didn't look yellow. My dress was very subtly ivory and I couldn't find a dress shirt that matched. You can only tell in a couple of pictures that our shirt/dress doesn't match. Who cares?

I'm with you...my dress is ivory. John's shirt will be white. With a black tux, windsor tie and vest, there's not that much shirt showing anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter